Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Salvor 6

Sadly they are not my emeralds my friend.

They are from a descendant of the Connolly I found through research. They were quite surprised when I emailed them about asking their family history. They were allegedly passed down to a great grandson after his Grandmothers death a few years ago. Via his mothers side of family. They know very little of their great grandfathers past except that he had a colourful one, smuggling Emeralds in the merchant navy from South America and fighting in the Spanish Civil war. In fact the great grandson is a talented musician From a fairly privileged background. Some stones was kept for posterity most of them was cut and polished in New York. For security reasons they as you could imagine wish to remain anonymous. As of yet I have been unable to confirm all aspects of their claims. However I can confirm his great grandfathers presence in Ecuador and in Spain. Another interesting point that may be just be a coincidence Sanchez was caught with illegal emeralds in 1906, where Owen grew up?

For the descendants they were grateful for me sending them documents of their great grandfathers past as it filled in many gaps in their family history.

As for the alleged discovery of Emeralds at Key West perhaps another parcel of the stolen Emeralds from 1906 or pilfered stones from the Muso Mine in years since?

Crow

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be bringing back an old topic, but it sure is intriguing. Thanks for sharing and thank you for the research Crow.

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
What I would like for people to consider is not who if anyone discovered the emerald deposit attributed to connelley but if any of the other information is accurate. If connelley was just a smuggler. Why go to the effort of returning to quito and staking a claim? How in the world could he in that time period could he know know of the town of Puerto napo ,how could he have known about the coreguaje tribe and the orejone tribe and reported their territories in the proper sequence. How could he have reported proper names for those peoples when even today their language is not written. It would have had to been given to him verbally. How would he have mentioned “black cliffs”whitout knowing that the rocks of the Guyana shield consists of meta sediments ,and shales. While the host rock for the Colombian emerald is carboneaus shales, black in color. The only place in the world where the host rock for the emerald in of sedimentary origin. Notoriously black in color. How is it possible that he could have known of the mission church on the village of aranjuno miles south and well off the beaten track. It is highly improbable that someone even today could put together such a story and be as accurate. And with the compass set on north and calculating some 120 miles on the well travelled native trail along the rivers will pur you in orejones territory with daunting black cliffs to the east. An unlikely co incidence. Much of the time frames are vague. And in my mind its irrevelant who the person was who discovered this emerald deposit. As of today geologists have discovered indications of emerald in three locations along this same course. I just don’t see how or why anyone would go to such lengths to invent such a story when the information is so correct. And why apply for a claim. A possibility is that connelley was a smuggler but also followed this lead to try to find his own emerald deposit. Its also possible that someome in connelleys group was a smuggler and used his name. im just making wild guesses. But there is no doubt that someone physically made this exploration journey, it is impossible in my opinion to derive the information provided any other way. And to possibly add more credibility to the story the word numba does not exist in any of the Amazonian dialects. The word to name the river which is the pivotal piece of information from which to setoff east towards the cliffs. So someone wanted to protect the final clue ,so no one else could find the site. However the proper word for that stream can be found and it translates to red river or river of blood. So go figure.

Sneaky Pete

Mar 22, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been fascinating reading the comments in this blog, regarding the lost emerald mines of the Incas. I started a project in the mid 1960s to search for the mine. I and my companions spent almost ten years working on it. We were on the Aguarico, at Puerto Napo and did find the Rio Numba. We were able to locate the cliffs described in the legend. We were able to barter for emerald chips with the indians and subsequently had them analyzed by LeDoux Analytical Labs in New Jersey who verified their authenticity. In-fighting among the participants and investors tore the company apart and the project died. It was a hell of an adventure and I wish I was young enough to see it through; however, I am 77 years old, too old, but I have some great memories.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose the old devils brew does not work they just keep holding out on the tip of their tongue hoping you ply them with more drinks. Hard luck was old veteran of milking drinks off people a case in question. And er....of course I was my old well honed tactic...???

Fascinating story sneaky Pete please do continue.....

Crow

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow my friend, times are a changing. \
Selective and Silent': The New 'Green War' for Colombia's Emeralds Since the death of controversial "Emerald Czar" Victor Carranza in April 2013, a series of attacks against members of Colombia's emerald industry have led to speculation that another "Green War" is imminent. However, the new battle for control of the sector is shaping up to be a low intensity conflict of targeted assassinations rather than the wholesale slaughter seen in the past.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crow my friend, times are a changing. \
Selective and Silent': The New 'Green War' for Colombia's Emeralds Since the death of controversial "Emerald Czar" Victor Carranza in April 2013, a series of attacks against members of Colombia's emerald industry have led to speculation that another "Green War" is imminent. However, the new battle for control of the sector is shaping up to be a low intensity conflict of targeted assassinations rather than the wholesale slaughter seen in the past.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Oh I do not think things have as changed as much.. Pretty much as business as usual. A changing of the guard Perhaps? Same crap different people.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Crow, excellent avian analysis, truly it is same crap, different people………..those who fail to know history are condemned to repeat it……..

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Doc-d

Sadly you are correct. We in west, regardless of the country are conducting the politics of defeatism by allowing the upper 1% to own 90 % of the wealth and political power. This was exactly the case in 1911. 100 odd years later we are back to where we were in 1911. More laws have enacted in last 20 odd years to keep people into a delegate financial class system designed to keep you in place. Our experiment with Altruism after the bloodbath of WW2 is well and truly dead. Replaced with the social inequities of the past wrapped in a different package.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly we are watching the same playbook being used to manipulate events today, only difference is they have "improved" it so that more wealth is stolen from the people…..tyranny is the word to describe the situation we find ourselves in today.
The fiat currency used worldwide is the biggest scam in history…..

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Doc-d

Many years ago I learned a valuable lesson. Ya cant go about trying to save world when it does not want to be saved. So I do not let it get to me. I cut my puppet strings many years ago and just live my life on my terms.

Don Amigo I gather you mean tropical tramp medicine...

My Home made hooch will cure anything? If ya like feeling numb all over and cross eyed and seeing double floating out of your body for a few days.

Don't forget the virtues of the Mexican hammock either...:laughing7:

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen brothers……gold, silver, coffee and the Crow's coffee supplements are the wealth to seek……..spending much of the year in Ecuador, I have come to appreciate the value of hammocks……
Not the place to discuss things, but it was more than a decade ago I understood clearly the truth of the world and adjusted my life in response…….
Pray, hope and don't worry as Padre Pio said…….
Vaya con Dios

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This legend is indeed and interesting story.

I truly hope Sneaky Pete can tell more of his story as it sound very interesting. And Lillorphannie with their experiences there may be able to shed more light on the legend? And Don Amigo promises to put super glue on my beak if I put my beak in.:laughing7:

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread