Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
BB
Arsenic smells like Garlic.
Cyanide smells like almonds

This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but I've tried smelling them both in one of the labs I worked in. It was probably dumb, but since we worked with them, the lab manager wanted everyone to be familiar with the odors in case of an incident. Between constant allergy issues and the years I worked around organic solvents I was never able to smell either one. I will say that I could "taste" them though - I know it sounds weird, but after smelling them, if I smacked my lips I could "taste" the odor so at least I had an idea of when to run if something happened.

Incidentally, that same lab manager was an old guy from New Jersey who used to work for a small company that did gold plating out of cyanide baths. He swore that he and the other old guys with years of experience running the baths could tell if the bath was the right concentration of cyanide by dipping the tip of their finger in the bath and tasting it. Not as accurate as chemical analysis, but quicker and close enough.

It's no wonder that some of those old timer chemists died well before their time. Kinda like my old organic professor who used to just pull a beaker off the shelf and make his coffee in it over a bunson burner during lab classes.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Cubfan64 said:
Old Dog said:
BB
Arsenic smells like Garlic.
Cyanide smells like almonds

This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but I've tried smelling them both in one of the labs I worked in. It was probably dumb, but since we worked with them, the lab manager wanted everyone to be familiar with the odors in case of an incident. Between constant allergy issues and the years I worked around organic solvents I was never able to smell either one. I will say that I could "taste" them though - I know it sounds weird, but after smelling them, if I smacked my lips I could "taste" the odor so at least I had an idea of when to run if something happened.

Incidentally, that same lab manager was an old guy from New Jersey who used to work for a small company that did gold plating out of cyanide baths. He swore that he and the other old guys with years of experience running the baths could tell if the bath was the right concentration of cyanide by dipping the tip of their finger in the bath and tasting it. Not as accurate as chemical analysis, but quicker and close enough.

It's no wonder that some of those old timer chemists died well before their time. Kinda like my old organic professor who used to just pull a beaker off the shelf and make his coffee in it over a bunson burner during lab classes.

Interesting info Cubfan. After I read BBs description I was asking myself how a person who has a poorly functioning sense of smell would ever discover something of that nature until it was too late.

Jack

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
cactusjumper said:
Thom,

"Arsenic smells like Garlic.
Cyanide smells like almonds"

Details......details.

Take care,

know i was asking you CJ if you wanted to smell almonds ,,,,lol

and yes i did smell someting at site 4 that smells like almonds , maybe a fig tree
Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Blindbowman wrote:
i have found as many as a dozen destoryed buildings at the site

This detail might be something you could find on aerial photographs, ruins of old buildings are often easier to pick out from the air than from the ground; especially after a very long time. In fact talking about a dozen buildings, something of this size might even show on detailed topographic maps. USGS topos are great and detailed (even though they are now secretly erasing numerous back country springs and trails) but can show something quite wrong - I know of two instances where the maps showed "caves" and they were not caves but man-made tunnels - mines. So it is possible they might show on the map, and be un-recognized as what they are.

I don't have any conclusions about the poison hypothesis, however that is absolutely correct about the horse-trading trick. Arsenic is one of the few elements that can occur in nature as a pure element, and also in association with other metals in particular lead and silver. The Arabia district in Nevada is a good example of this type of mineral association. I would hesitate to identify the perceived effects as coming from a poison (natural or man-made) until something like a sample showed it to be present. Many different minerals have odors or aromas, and the described effects do not sound like a toxic situation to me. (I am not a doctor, just my opinion) Remember no toxins cause pulled muscles or physical injuries like that. Why not send off a sample to have it both fire-assayed and a spectrographic analysis? It is not nearly as expensive as making another trip, and would provide clear answers about what is present in your sample. The cost is not prohibitive. What do you stand to lose?

Oroblanco

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Oroblanco said:
Blindbowman wrote:
i have found as many as a dozen destoryed buildings at the site

This detail might be something you could find on aerial photographs, ruins of old buildings are often easier to pick out from the air than from the ground; especially after a very long time. In fact talking about a dozen buildings, something of this size might even show on detailed topographic maps. USGS topos are great and detailed (even though they are now secretly erasing numerous back country springs and trails) but can show something quite wrong - I know of two instances where the maps showed "caves" and they were not caves but man-made tunnels - mines. So it is possible they might show on the map, and be un-recognized as what they are.

I don't have any conclusions about the poison hypothesis, however that is absolutely correct about the horse-trading trick. Arsenic is one of the few elements that can occur in nature as a pure element, and also in association with other metals in particular lead and silver. The Arabia district in Nevada is a good example of this type of mineral association. I would hesitate to identify the perceived effects as coming from a poison (natural or man-made) until something like a sample showed it to be present. Many different minerals have odors or aromas, and the described effects do not sound like a toxic situation to me. (I am not a doctor, just my opinion) Remember no toxins cause pulled muscles or physical injuries like that. Why not send off a sample to have it both fire-assayed and a spectrographic analysis? It is not nearly as expensive as making another trip, and would provide clear answers about what is present in your sample. The cost is not prohibitive. What do you stand to lose?

Oroblanco

BB: That assay suggestion of Oro's is a good one. With all us reading your posts and puzzling over what you're describing it's surprising nobody's come up with it before now. That would certainly answer a lot of the questions and it might be your State Bureau of Mines and Minerals will do the fire assay for you at no cost. In NM they'll give a free fire assay of an ore sample per year to anyone who wants one. The spectrographic analysis will cost more [last time I had one done it cost $285 for a single sample, though the price might have gone down during the last decade]. But as Oro's said, it's cheaper than a lot of trips and it definitely beats getting the blind staggers by not knowing what you're needing to protect yourself against.

Jack

Jack

K

Kentucky Kache

the blindbowman said:
...i drove 80 miles yesterday to take the car to the dealr because of a eng light only to have the light come back on 4 hours after they fixed it ....

Sometimes a trouble code light will continue to flash after the problem is fixed.
Unhooking your battery cables for a few seconds will take care of it. I would think they probably did this at the garage, but it would be worth a try, just in case.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
That is great amigo, I look forward to reading it! Will you let us know when your book will be available? I would appreciate it.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
What!???? You plan to drop your bombshell, then slip off into seclusion? I don't get it amigo - don't you care about what happens to your discoveries? Are you having a bad day/week or month? What is up amigo?
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well I probably can't talk you out of it, but have one thing to say - there are many more mysteries that remain to be solved amigo, finishing one will free you to pursue the next one, should you choose to continue the quest for knowledge. I have lived far from people (I plan to in the future as well) and that life has its own rewards, but still would not give up the search. "Seek and ye shall find."

In any case good luck and good hunting amigo, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
your friend,
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
That is pretty cool amigo, got to quit for the night (work tomorrow - the bane of all treasure hunters) but I hope you will change your mind about going into seclusion; besides, you can live in seclusion and still keep in touch with your friends. Think about it, will you? Good night amigo - Ka Dish Day - Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
WHOOPS what happened? Several posts of Blindbowman's have vanished since yesterday. Did you delete them amigo? If so, may I ask why? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
yes, i did Oro ... i can not explan why right now ,,....i have Emailed scott wood and requested a appointment to present my evidence to him in preson.......

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
That is 'copa-cetic' as they say; just thought it was odd that several had just gone "poof" as that does happen once in a while! Good luck and when you see him, please tell Scott a big "Howdy" from his friends Oroblanco & Mrs Oro.
your friend,
Roy

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
will do ... we just found a program that uses a invert color and not a neg vs postive.. it is like looking at each site for the frist time .. we have a postive writeing on one of the walls in the seven caves ...we found one site to have things we did not even know were there , something took place in caves 3 ..some kind of a cave in or explosion of some kind ,, there are things all over ground ..hand tools and what looks like bones ....maybe a small massacre site ...

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
the blindbowman said:
will do ... we just found a program that uses a invert color and not a neg vs postive.. it is like looking at each site for the frist time .. we have a postive writeing on one of the walls in the seven caves ...we found one site to have things we did not even know were there , something took place in caves 3 ..some kind of a cave in or explosion of some kind ,, there are things all over ground ..hand tools and what looks like bones ....maybe a small massacre site ...

Sounds like an interesting and useful piece of software. Is it a free download?

Gracias,
Jack

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
Highmountain said:
the blindbowman said:

Sounds like an interesting and useful piece of software. Is it a free download?

Gracias,
Jack

yes

its part of the Presto! page manager 7.15 program ,

i find it a great program because you can change the color levels and % vs brightness and con and it gives you a lot of lee way ....if you it back and forth with paitshop it dose some real nice defineing work ...

un likw a veg in black and white you find your self fighting over what part of the gray zone you are in and with this color saperation that not the case ...

its a plus IMHO ...we defind the ladder , some writing on one of the cave walls .. objects on the ground ...in dozens of pictures so it is a plus

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHIO: Regarding Arsenic and cyanide poisoning I was hit by both during my checkered career as an assayer. Carelessness.

The Arsenic I handled with massive doses of vit "C".

The cyanide wasn't enough to kill me obviously, but for a few days I could hardly move from simple lack of energy. However I was sensitized to Cyanide, I can now smell an open can of cyanide, or an old site that used cyanide up to 50 ft away. It has a sickly sweet odor.

I have won several bets on this since it is supposedly undetectable by humans.

I do not find any similarities to either in your reactions BB

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
Arsenic in fact is one of the more dangerous elements in the earth that can make you sick from just touching it ..it would take prolonged contact with it ... but the effects are not all frist hand ,, they make you sick over time ... in most often shorting life then takeing it few people would eat it dirrectly ...and yes i agree to a piont ...

i always ask "cause and effect"...

untill is see a postive test resault will a asume nothing is fact ...but it dose have my interest as to what is causeing these effects at the site and i have to beleive what ever it is ,it is airborn of some kind of element or gas...it could even be some kind of a pollen or something else causeing it ...maybe even more then one thing ...

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
the blindbowman said:
Arsenic in fact is one of the more dangerous elements in the earth that can make you sick from just touching it ..it would take prolonged contact with it ... but the effects are not all frist hand ,, they make you sick over time ... in most often shorting life then takeing it few people would eat it dirrectly ...and yes i agree to a piont ...

i always ask "cause and effect"...

untill is see a postive test resault will a asume nothing is fact ...but it dose have my interest as to what is causeing these effects at the site and i have to beleive what ever it is ,it is airborn of some kind of element or gas...it could even be some kind of a pollen or something else causeing it ...maybe even more then one thing ...

A spectro analysis ought to resolve the entire question for you. Until then it's all speculation.

Looking forward to seeing the results if you post them

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread