Any info on Captain Kidds Rhode Island / Connecticut treasure legends?

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
There is a tale that Kidd stashed two chests in Wethersfield, ct prior to turning himself in. He may also have stashed one in Newport, RI. Also don't overlook the Charles Harris treasure.

taylor

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2004
Hi Treasuekidd,

I sent you an e.mail earlier, perhaps you did not receive it.
However from reading some of your posts it appears there could be some confusion as to what could be buried on Gardiners'/Rhode and or Block island.

Kidd took Two ships The Fateh Mohammed and the Quedagh Merchant, Both were flying under a flag of Convenience that is French. Similar to ships of today which although sailing under lets say a Liberian flag, it does not mean that the ship is Liberian.
So Kidd took the ships as legitimate targets for a Privateer sailing with the King of Englands pass.
The Sultans treasure which one of your posts mentions was in fact taken by Henry/Long Ben Avery,
This ship was the Gang I swa. The one returning from Mecca with the Moguls/Sultans daughter and his viceroys of India.
Meanwhile Kidd had returned to the Caribbean, stopping at Tortuga, where he purchased a ship /sloop called St.Antonio.
He transferred some of his loot and some of his crew to this ship and sailed for New York While the adventure prize/Quedagh Merchant with the rest of Kidds crew headed for Hispaniola/Cuba to await there Captain.
Once in American waters Kidd sent a message to his old friend Lord Bellomont/Governor of New York to arrange a safe passage for him and his crew, while waiting for Bellomonts answer Kidd landed treasure on Gardiners Island, He also stopped at Block Island and Rhode Island.
He was contacted by Bellomont Who promised him safe Passage.
Yet when Kidd landed he was arrested for Piracy and sent back to England in chains Aboard HMS Advice.
He was transferred to Newgate Prison to await trial, while in prison he sent two almost identical letters, one to the House of Lords and the other to the House of Parliament, both these letters stated that he had lodged goods and treasure to the value of ?100,000 on a certain Island and that he would be happy to show his captors the location of this treasure in return for his freedom.
Unfortunately for Kidd the Molgul or Sultan of India was incensed by The depredation of his shipping by the English pirates especially the loss of his daughter aboard the Gang I Swa, taken by Avery.
The Mogul had threatened that he would kick the English out of India, so Kidds fate was sealed and he became the "Patsy" so to speak and had to die to appease the Mogul. Consequently he was found guilty his letters ignored and he was hung at Tilbury Point on the Thames.
Meanwhile Lord Bellomont had sent men far and wide searching for Kidds Loot.
Some Chests were dug up from the Orchard on Gardiners Island and returned to England where the contents were Auctioned.
The proceeds from this auction were used to build Greenwich Hospital, whish later became Greenwich Observatory, the irony of this is that Greenwich observatory is the Zero Datum point of Latitude for all shipping throught the world today.
I have been a little simplistic with the details, as I understand you are basically interested in Kidds Treasure, as for the Quedagh Merchant I believe she lay in some river bed on Hispaniola, looted and scuttled by Kidds crew?
As for Henry/Long Ben Avery and the Moguls treasure, well that Treasure was worth?500,000 and included a Jewel encrusted Saddle, a present from the Shah to the Mogul, what happened to IT? Well thats another Story.
Regards and best Wishes.
Crowsnest.

P.S.
An East india clerk was paid ?5 per annum in 1696/8 when Kidd took his Treasure, Today a clerk would earn Approx. ?10,000 per Annum, an increase of Approx 2000%.
?100,000 multiplied by 2000% =?200,000,000.
Happy Hunting.
Crowsnest.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Very interesting. I'm sure we'd all like to hear the rest of the story, next time you feel like tapping it out. By the way, the Whethersfield treasure story originated from a lawyer Kidd hired to solicit the governors of New York and Massachusetts to intervene on his behalf with the King, and to proclaim his innocence. The story suggests that Kidd knew of the piracy charges and planned his actions accordingly. The lawyer was told of two chests of treasure Kidd stashed after sailing up the Connecticut River. He was given directions including description of the markers Kidd used. The supposed purpose was to provide for Kidd's wife if the worst happened. Well, the worst happened. Following the lawyer's unsuccessful attempts Kidd was shipped off to England. After a while, the lawyer sought out the treasure. He found the markers Kidd mentioned, but no treasure. He concluded that Kidd had tricked him, and that there never was any treasure. Considering the result, on the peformance evaluation system, he got what he earned. There certainly could be an undiscovered treasure there, but I, for one, don't intend to second guess that lawyer, without any new facts.

shawneetreasure

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
Grew up near Charles Island, Milford, Connecticut...you could walk out to the island, quite a walk, during low tide, a sandbar is exposed - plenty of time to walk around the island, I think, don't remember it is about 3 miles square or so.
The center of the island is wooded...lots of big rats and paths..ruins of an old monastery (monks).
Town history (documented) puts Captain Kidd and his crew in Milford and on the island at least 3 times. Supposedly, Charles Island is one of his last places he visited before he was captured ...one of the last islands...people throughout the years have found gold doubloons, etc. The island was always pitted with holes from 'treasure hunters' looking for his buried loot.
No longer live there and it is now a state park, I believe in-season you have to 'pay' to get on it, but at least that way you get to park, before that, you needed a sticker to get near the beach and had to be a resident.
My father took his ole' White coin detector years ago in the 60s and 70s and did find some 'trinkets'.
A couple are very old and I will probably post pics sometime.
Many still believe his treasure is buried somewhere on the island, it's really 'dense' with trees and overgrowth.
Some years ago a treasure hunter from Florida started to look for it there backed by supporters but something went wrong and he left...can't remember the details as I wasn't living there at the time.
If going even in the summer, wear slip-on rubber shoes, barnacles or whatever over the rocks, you have to hike over some. A memorable trip with our without a metal detector.
I am an ancestor of Henry/Long Ben Avery (honest, couldn't make that one up), unfortunately he deserted his wife and little girl - am related directly to his child. They lived in Lewes, Delaware.

RonS

Feb 1, 2006
New England
I to grew up in that area. In the center of the island there are ruins of a monastery and a hotel . In fact you can still see the old flag pole that marks the old hotel there. Goggle Charles island . I dug the island up more then once as a kid lol. I remember the first "treasure i found" out there. I ran home called my buddy Bob and we went out there with tools and such. When we opened the chest we dug up. It was someone dead dog! Hey we were 13. LOL I remember the company that went to the island. They found something, but talks with the state fell through. I remember the legend says Kidd buried the chest on the south side of the island under the largest rock. BUT it is not a legend. This information was taken from a letter found in a home in Milford. It was written buy the daughter of one of the founders of the city of Milford. The best place is the public library. They have a impressive collection of history on the island. And the lady's at the library are always very nice. However back then the island was 24 acres. It is now less then 12. so do the math. Good Luck
RonS

shawneetreasure

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
Lived in Milford from 13 to 19 yrs. old...so much 'fun' boating off the Island and walking around it.
A few yrs. ago visited Milford Public Library, all they gave me were some old newspaper articles.
Told me there were no books?
Didn't realize the island was much larger then...
Do you have any idea what the name or last name of the girl was that wrote the letter (first family).
I am directly related to some of the first settlers of Milford, first group of 13, I believe and some that
stayed and didn't migrate to open the first settlement in Newark, NJ after the first year.
Know Captain Kidd visited the island at least 3 times, it is documented.
My father told me he saw some of the documents first-hand many years ago at the old Milford Public
Library, including some in regards to the island, Capt. Kidd, they were from a vault - don't know if the
library still has them or what happened to these papers.
It seems Kidd had more than one trunk hidden, who knows, still may be there somewhere...
50% of the island is left? Probably buried so deep under the sandbar...
Visited in Provincetown this summer (Cape Cod) the Whydah Museum...only pirate ship and many contents
every found...it is amazing what they found on display..worth the trip. (Sam Bellamy's wreck)
Past metal detector-treasure hunters have found doubloons off the island throughout the years.
Am direct descendant (our family secret) to Henry/Long Ben Avery the Pirate and need to find more info. about
him. He kidnapped the Mongul's daughter and married her, not sure if there were any offspring, but it is
documented that he was already married to my ancestor and had a daughter named Mary (Lewes, Delaware).
He was not one of the visiting sailors who often married local girls and then left...he was a resident and an officer.
This is where he first took off to become a pirate, originally he was not one and changed completely.
His wife's family tried to hide the fact through the years, but it was well known in the town's record.
She remarried the most respectful man in the town who held office, I believe...the little girl, Mary was
adopted, she was never to hear from her father...her family produced a series of famous ministers and
patriots.
What memories of Milford...teen years were the 'best' living near the Long Island Sound...

RonS

Feb 1, 2006
New England
Do you have any idea what the name or last name of the girl was that wrote the letter (first family).

YES. I believe the letter was in the home of Buckingham's. was found in the basement behind a brick.The letter was written by his daughter who watch Kidd walk right up and kiss her very boldly ( her words) she then goes on to tell how she heard the Captain tell her father the " They buried it on the south side of the island under the largest rock. I know from my research that the island was 24 acres back then. The hurricane of 54 (?) took a lot of it. Anyway. Do you remember the fort house in Fort Trumbull ? Back in the late 60's it was owned by the Clap's. I was best friends with Steve in Fort Trumbull school. There were smugglers tunnels under that house. His Dad used to chase us out from them when we were kids. He had them sealed for safety. I have one of the only existing pictures of that house taken from the end of the jetty. You can see the entrance to the tunnels. Later they were used as part of the underground railroad.
RonS

shawneetreasure

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
Reply: Any info on Captain Kidds Rhode Island / Connecticut treasure legends?

Thanks so much...it makes you wonder if the Buckingham's would have looked for the treasure or family?
Maybe it was already discovered...quietly...I was able to visit an old house in Bloomfield, NJ a few yrs. back,
the original owner was one of the first 13 settler's families from Milford. There was a
hidden tunnel that was sealed, too - beams in the cellar were so old, it, too, was later used for the Underground
Railroad...wish I could have gone inside, but it is bricked up and today nooone is even allowed in the cellar -
that must have been so neat to be able to do that at Ft. Trumbull house.
Can remember hearing about the Fort House, and I was in that area many times...but can't picture it.
Mainly was hanging out with friends at Point Beach and Gulf Beach, the Harbor...boating, swimming, etc.
Went to M.H.S. but had friends at J.L.
Do remember seeing the old little shack that older woman kept on the beach close to that area, can't
remember her name, and the town tried to get her to move, but heard she had 'squatter's rights' and stayed
and lived there her lifetime. I think she did fishing off the beach and people gave her food, too, she stayed there
all winter as well with no modern conveniences...many stories about her fighting with the town for her rights.
Alot of people have found old objects and coins off the island...it is a great place to use a metal detector.
Would go with my father, but never found anything myself. He found old rings, bracelets, coins, military buttons,
old religious medallion.
Now live in Pa. so don't get back there that often. Milford is such an old historic town, so much early
history. Went back off-season and was able to get on the State Park and walk in late Fall without a sticker
or paying the fee...it looks so nice with the wood boardwalk walking area, etc., but the charm of it being
just the beach is gone...would still be nice if someone could do some serious exploring in each area of the island
without altering it's appearance...heard about the treasure hunter from Florida, who was not granted permission to do it some
years ago or something prevented him from it.
Get homesick when I think of Milford...will always be a beautiful New England town.

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
it is possible that kidd sent his lawyer up the connecticut river looking for markers not finding them he believes he was tricked so do i what if these markers were found on the housatonic river.how close is the mouth of the housatonic river to charles island. does anyone know what these markers look like. did you see any stone carvings on the island. i will try to get to the island this summer. any descriptions of the chests i read there were three.kiddrock33

RonS

Feb 1, 2006
New England
As I remember it when you come out of the rivver on Stratford point take a left
( due North by north west I think ) the island is only about 5 N.Miles from the mouth of the river.
RonS

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
thanks ron if you havent seen my posts under best finds iron chest you will see the chest i found buried in the housatonic river bank.plus numerous carvings

RonS

Feb 1, 2006
New England
If you stand on the sandbar and look inward to the left of the bar. You will see old seawall ?about 300 yards to the left was a boat rental in the early 60's called Mickey's Boat rental's. ?That whole area use to be part of the town with homes and streets. At the curve my Dad use to have a variety store. All the streets are now plowed under. Along the back road where the dog pound is now use to be the town dump. That use to be ?independence road. ?There were hundreds of homes there. Along the beach the road was split level. The beach side being higher ?by about 3 feet. That proved to be a problem with beach storms. Go down from where Mickey's Boat yard was ?about 2 miles was a bar called The Blue Moon. It burnt down in the late 60's or early 70's. ?Further down where the now housing complex sits. It used to be a good size amusement park that sat on old east Broadway. ?I remember it all very well
Signed an old beach rat
RonS

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"My name was William Kidd, as I sail"d as I sail'd;
And so wickedly I did, God's laws I did forbid,
As I sail'd
I roam'd from sound, as I sail'd as I sail'd,
And many a ship I found, and them I sunk or burn'd
As I sail'd
I'd ninety bars of gold, as I sail'd, as I sail'd;
I'd a crew both brave and bold, and dollars manifold,
As I sail'd
I murder'd Willian Moore, as I sail'd as I sail'd
And I laid him in his gore, not many leagues from shore,
As I sail'd
Farewell to young and old, for I must die, I must die;
And jolly seamen bold, you're welcome to my gold,
For I must die."
I have a book "Treasure" by B.A. Tompkins has eight pages of information on
Captain Kidd, I can copy and send you if you want. I don't have a scanner.
PM me if you want the info. Clayton....Roadquest

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Greetings all,
A tad late posting to this, but here goes.

I do not wish to discourage anyone from hunting for buried treasures, but Captain Kidd's treasure is a poor candidate to spend your efforts and time on, for several reasons. For one, Kidd, while one of the most famous of all pirates, was also one of the unluckiest and with few successes in his relatively brief career. He did manage to bag a couple of prizes, which is the source of all his buried treasure tales.

The other major reason is something I found a while ago, in old records dating to the early 1700s - Kidd did indeed bury a treasure on Gardiner Island in 1699, and this treasure was dug up and brought to Boston the very same year! So no Kidd treasure remains to be found, or at least it is very unlikely any of his ill-gotten gains will turn up there unless it is the odd coin or bit of jewelry; that is NOT to say that there should not be plenty of pirate loot to search for in that region, but you would be better served (and in all probability have better luck) tracking down the loot of more successful, if less famous pirates that operated in the area. (Captain Ned Low, for one example, and his lieutenant Captain Harris, operated in that area in the 1720s and captured at least a dozen ships, the count is in truth more than that as I know of one raid they got seven and another they got eight. Where is their treasure? As far as I know, never recovered.) Anyway if Captain Kidd is your only area of interest, you may well find something, somewhere of his treasure as it is unlikely that he buried all of it in one place and he offered to give some treasure to the British government in return for his life - however this remaining treasure is probably quite distant from your area, while the loot of other less-famous pirates is likely close at hand.

Oroblanco

PS if you are curious about Low, here is one site:
http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/whosloe.html
However this ends with Low being last seen sailing in the Azores, Canaries and Guinea but in truth he was later abandoned at sea, captured and executed. So he certainly never dug up the vast fortune that he accumulated in a most brutal manner...unlike Kidd.

kiddfinder

Sep 28, 2013
eastern seaboard and eastern inland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMAG0117.jpg
This was the marker. It was found 300+ years worth in an old tree which was rotting from the knside out, it's head and 4 inches of the ship spike still imbedded in the tree with the point inward where the knside of the tree used to be. Didn't see anything with my eyes, and took a flash pic of the inside of the tree only to find one big reflection that turned out to be a small crude gold ingot. IMAG0117.jpg IMAG0223.jpg

More pics of area, but recovery comes first.

kiddfinder

Sep 28, 2013
eastern seaboard and eastern inland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 871813
This was the marker. It was found 300+ years worth in an old tree which was rotting from the knside out, it's head and 4 inches of the ship spike still imbedded in the tree with the point inward where the knside of the tree used to be. Didn't see anything with my eyes, and took a flash pic of the inside of the tree only to find one big reflection that turned out to be a small crude gold ingot. View attachment 871813 View attachment 871814

More pics of area, but recovery comes first.

Attachments

• IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 146

rest1

Aug 21, 2014
long island ny
Detector(s) used
whites prl-1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my favorite theory maybe just because i live on long island, is that it is somewhere near money pond out in montauk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread