Question on Spanish Treasure in New Mexico

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anthony Pallante wrote in a story in one of the treasure magazine that " Records indicate that
the Spanish hid a very large treasure in the area of Gran Quivera at the outset of the 1680 Indian
Rebellion"

If you are searching for this, I don't expect you to give away any of your privet research.
If you are not searching for this treasure, but have some information on it.
Please post it here.

Thanks Roadquest

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Roadquest said:
Anthony Pallante wrote in a story in one of the treasure magazine that " Records indicate that
the Spanish hid a very large treasure in the area of Gran Quivera at the outset of the 1680 Indian
Rebellion" ....

He didn't happen to cite the records did he?

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly where is Grand Quivera? Near what big city? Etc.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
jimb said:
Exactly where is Grand Quivera? Near what big city? Etc.

It's about 20 miles SE of Mountainair on Highway 55. It's a National Monument - ruins of an old Spanish Mission.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could that treasure be in Socorro?

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did research on over a dozen treasure sites in New Mexico. My research papers vanished one day. But they were in two parts. The treasure stories and the modern location. I had an x-tra copy of the locations and Socorro was the closest to your treasure site. What makes you think that there is treasure there?

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimb said:
I did research on over a dozen treasure sites in New Mexico. My research papers vanished one day. But they were in two parts. The treasure stories and the modern location. I had an x-tra copy of the locations and Socorro was the closest to your treasure site. What makes you think that there is treasure there?

jimb,

I'm going to PM you more information on this treasure tonight. I don't have a lot, because I haven't yet researched
it that much. The reason I think it's there is the info. I do have sounds reasonable. And, when it get's right down to it.
I have to make a gut call on what I am researching, as to weather its real, and if so, is it yet there.
I want to ask you a question, related to this also.

Roadquest

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadquest, What is your question?

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
Refer to my posts about the old, old pack saddles i found by grants new mexico.
also the posts about the Negro Ed canyon treasure apparently being found down by Alamogordo.it was a treasure that the apaches took from the spanish.

trail_finder

Jun 8, 2009
theres a spanish treasure in cibola county and i have strong resources that give alot of information suggesting that have put me on the trail and it was hidden during the "Indian Rebellion", anyone who has infromation that will help post here please.
thanks
trail_finder

jww225

Sep 5, 2013
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site and treasure hunting. I grew up in Grants. I am interested in the Old Pack saddles you found by Grants. Can you tell me more?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
jww225:

If you want to review a Member's previous posts, click on the respective Profile and you'll see on the left-hand side a "New Posts" button.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Rptyd

Sep 11, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Antique Gold Mountain, lol..
hmm, when my father was a young man, he went exploring with his grandfather in an area not too far distant from these areas spoken of. At the base of a mesa was found what was left of 2 saddle bags, bone remains of a mule and a Spanish conquistador helmet with buckles, bracing and so forth. The bags were full of spanish silver. Not too far from there a keyhole style entrance to a cave was found, it came to an abrupt end after several yards to a wall that did not match the surrounding rock. A hole was punched thru this and a whole lot of bad air started coming out. It had been sealed for a very long time. They did not make it back to this site before my great grandfather passed on. My father never went back. I would like to go back out there at some point. The cave is on private property but it was just a fluke, finding it. It's not visible unless in a very specific spot..
It was said that after a group of natives had wiped out these bad men, their precious metal was hidden to deny them possession. The natives had no use for it at that time in their history...

Last edited:

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hmm, when my father was a young man, he went exploring with his grandfather in an area not too far distant from these areas spoken of. At the base of a mesa was found what was left of 2 saddle bags, bone remains of a mule and a Spanish conquistador helmet with buckles, bracing and so forth. The bags were full of spanish silver. Not too far from there a keyhole style entrance to a cave was found, it came to an abrupt end after several yards to a wall that did not match the surrounding rock. A hole was punched thru this and a whole lot of bad air started coming out. It had been sealed for a very long time. They did not make it back to this site before my great grandfather passed on. My father never went back. I would like to go back out there at some point. The cave is on private property but it was just a fluke, finding it. It's not visible unless in a very specific spot..
It was said that after a group of natives had wiped out these bad men, their precious metal was hidden to deny them possession. The natives had no use for it at that time in their history...

Rptyd:
I frequent that area on treasure quests. If you would like me to check out this site PM me and I will let you know what is there.
everything 50/50

wr

bluehunter

Sep 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are speaking of a mesa near Negro Ed, I'd love to talk to you. I have access to these areas, and the relative youth and resources to explore these areas at length. Any findings will be distributed appropriately.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to sound critical, I hope this question isn't construed as such.......What kind of "bad air" can come out of a seal wall mine? I realize OIL DRILLING has a lot of these concerns as bad air is usually Hydrogen Sulfide or something more wicked.

MIKEPALLANTE

Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't happen to cite the records did he?

googling my dad- found this. Thought I'd mention I don't believe he still has that research. However- he did often sell his "notes" on his research to curious hunters. This was one of the more popular ones so the info is most def out there in someone's private archives.

Yes I know this reply is 17 years too late.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread