Clay Stone Found In Creek Near NY/Canada Border!

R

Rich

Well took some pics "took long enough" but heres the story -
My cousion found this while fishin for Salmon upstate near the border,He told me its a 3 day hike into the place where ya camp and fish and also that when he was fishin he looked down fast and seen this odd shaped stone and picked it up....I devule more info but -------- ;)

Anyone know what it might mean?,...
I did rub abit of the stone to see if it was slate or clay and turned out to be clay.,,,,,,

Attachments

• To2 stone 1.JPG
    To2 stone 1.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 779
OP
OP
R

Rich

heres another of the stone

Attachments

• Stone 1.JPG
    Stone 1.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,029
OP
OP
R

Rich

also its abit smaller than a " cig lighter",but heres one shot of the back.....

on the first pic there is a pointer next to the "=",and a Triangle,well it looks like a Tri.......

Attachments

• back of stone.JPG
    back of stone.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 814

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Rich ---Have you sent pictures to a University or some where, there might be an archeology (SP) I think that's who look for ancient graves and tumbs? DUH
Anyway it reminds me of Egyptian writting.

Jacko

OP
OP
R

Rich

JACKO said:
? Rich ---Have you sent pictures to a University or some where, there might be an archeology (SP) I think that's who look for ancient graves and tumbs? DUH
Anyway it reminds me of Egyptian writting.

? Jacko

huh?--- What HAve Twice...R-U_ASkin...............................?....tumbz?====not sure in that area,

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Rich-- I remember seeing writing like that on one of the TV shows like Discovery. This may have been put in this clay with a stamp type object as the emblem and 2 are pretty smooth. Looks Eygptian to me

Jacko

OP
OP
R

Rich

JACKO said:
? Rich-- I remember seeing writing like that on one of the TV shows like Discovery. This may have been put in this clay with a stamp type object as the emblem and 2 are pretty smooth. Looks Egyptian to me

? ?Jacko

Jacko--- 100% sure its not Egyptian,it was found in a very infamous place where ya catch Salmon here in NY,also it was coverd with alot of alge and luck just caught the persons eye who found it and GPS'ed the position,also its near one of the old french and Indian routes to Canada,and also knowing that there is tons of old cellers around "from what im told and seen in pics taken",it might be a trail marker or maybe a clue to somthing........but thanks for the reply

OP
OP
R

Rich

KGCnewbieseeker said:
you arent fishin in salmon river are ya? it was great last month! did you catch anything?

:D---------Good thinkin!.....but where is the key.... ;) - - down a ol road is a parking place then a trek to the river,but before the -tourist-camping- area....,catchin fish----well when ur shoulder to shoulder with our Northen cousions and other people from around the US -- even 100 people in a line side by side fighting/drinking/pretty much the usual crap,but your 110% to catch the up streamers...... - thatswhy ya do some mappin and trek in the woods.....!,youll find very good fishin spots!!!!!!!!,also I bring a .22 survival along just incase....

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
well if its marking anything I hope you marked the exact spot where you found it, should never move markers bad habit ,and i hope you photo'd its orientation before you moved it,tammahawk

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Looks like a T with the letter O imprinted over it then a Number 2 stamp as well. If these are about 4 x 4 inches ,then they could be potter stands...where the clay pots sat on while drying in kilns. Try checking with local stoneware collectors clubs for info on markings . Alot of pottery/stoneware companies rose and fell in late 1800's

OP
OP
R

Rich

gypsyheart said:
Looks like a T with the letter O? imprinted over it? ? then a Number 2 stamp as well.? If these are about 4 x 4 inches? ,then they could be potter stands...where the clay pots? sat on while drying in kilns. Try checking with local stoneware collectors clubs for info on markings . Alot of pottery/stoneware companies rose and fell in late 1800's?

ok- this was in the water,in a river,....no towns /villages nor kilns would be in this area..already looked....but thx for the reply!

-also yes i did GPS the spot with-in a meter and know the position and also put another rock carved just like this one back exact as found,also went to check on the rock i put back and noone has been there.... - no cellers around,no old maps of towns or researchable material to be found,so what the he)) did i find?........ a trail marker?,spot for some items of value?,etc etc...
well until next year i wont beable to take or go there for more info,so throw some more comments my way if ya have good ones...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread