cuts like a knife

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Nice!

Reminds me of something i found on the internet.

frijoledagger.JPG

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
It's not a sword, rather, it's a Bowie knife, as characterized by it's wide blade with clip point, 'S' guard, distinctive coffin shaped handle and rounded quillion. The Bowie knife did not reach national renown until after the Civil War so I'd say that the carving is from the modern era.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear bob631;
No, it's not a sword. It's a Bowie knife. Trust me. It's a Bowie knife.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;p
By the way, the knife in the photo is upseide-down. It's primary cutting edge is facing up instead of down.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear bob631;
I do believe you are gravely mistaken. The distinctive 'S' guard is is perhaps the most easily identifible feature in classifying a Bowie style knife. That and the rounded quillion. Also, not shown in the carving, is the Spanish notch, which is a prominent feature on most, but not all, Bowie style knives. The US Marine Corps Ka-Bar was Bowie knife based design.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear bob631;

"I meant the half round finger guard that goes from the bottom of the handle to the s shape, it looks like a double edged sword."

That part would be called the *quillon* and it is most generally placed there to allow for a type of fencing manuver known as the back slash. When it's round and heavy, it acts as a counterweight and it becomes known as the pommel. In this case, however, it's not for counterbalance, and with a quillon one can utilize a back slash manuver and in doing so can use the sharp edge of the blade to slice the opponent or the quillon to strike the opponent.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear bob631;
The upper forward portion of the classical Bowie knife is always sharpened as well. Research was never a big past time of yours, was it?
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
And now, a photo of a very typical Bowie style knife.

Your friend;
LAMAR

Attachments

• MussoBowie.jpg
    MussoBowie.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,341

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
The carvings are definitely modern. The two indians portrayed are modern caricatures of sterotypical indians as seen by modern day Americans. Absolutely no doubt about it, my friends.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming the carvings are old, the first one looks like a Conquistador helmet to me. Please, no one tell me what a real Conquistador helmet looks like. M :wink: nty

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Monty;
If you wish, I can start on a long dicscourse about the development of the armored headgear which you so generally (and incorrectly) labeled as *Conquistadore helmet*, complete with the entire developmental evolution from the previous 1,000 years, to include various regional and stylistic variations.

And no, the caricature pictured is not sporting a helmet, it's a hairstyle known as a Mohawk, after the natives which wore them.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i believe it is a mohawk with a head band and a single feather. new or old? it only matters is that some one spent time doing these carvings ,treasure related or not. heres another nearby . thing i noticed is the double backwards jj in its cheek

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
OK, here we go. First, the type of helmet which is generally classified as a *Conquistadore Helmet* is in fact correctly known as the Morion helmet. Some historians think that it may have been first influenced by the Moors, hence the name Morion, however there is no hard proof to support this proposition.

The earliest known Morions to be worn were issued to British and Irish foot soldiers in the early 15th century and became popularized by the Spanish conquistadores soon thereafter. The reason for it's evolvement reflects heavily on the battlefields changes which were introduced soon after the first rifles appeared on the field.

Around the same time that the morion was seeing action on the battlefields of Europe, changes in metal manufacturing were also taking place and Morion helmet reflected these shifts in technology. The Morion helmet was lighter in comparison to previous designs, with the raised central comb providing additional strength without adding a lot to the overall weight.

In fact, the entire design of the Morion helmet aptly reflects the engineering achievements of the period. The severe slope of the brim and beaver were deigned to provide lateral stiffness from blows aimed at the sides, and with a slight tilt of the head towards the shoulder, provided needed neck protection from missile weapons of the day.

Because the Morion design helmet was so cost effective to produce and could be manufactured in large numbers, it was therefore issued to large numbers of foot soldiers throughout Europe until at least as late as WWI, surviving as the Adrian helmet, worn by the French infantry.

Since all early Conquistadores had either previously served in the Spanish military or were severely short on funds, the Morion provided a cost effective alternative to the much more expensive and wieldier full face helmets of the preceeding age, therefore it made practical financial sense to wear the Morion helmet along with a light steel cuirass.

Since so many Conquistadores thought that having ones' portrait painted gave them an air of noblility, they were therefore portrayed over and over wearing their Morion helmets and cuirasses. This is why the Morion became an inseparable part of Conquistadore lore.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread