NEED DATE ON THIS HATCHET HEAD PLEASE HELP ME OUT

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
can anyone put a close date on the time this would have been in use? it would have had to be tied onto handle,,,,found it buried under about 2 feet of rocks with a piece of an iron pot..... although i have 3 photo programs and can send a picture via e-mail i am unable to post one on this site, have tried 2000 times at least....anyone that may can date this hatchet and wouldn't mind me sending a e-mail picture please let me know ............thanks, gldhntr

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
HI;
I have a catalog with a lot of hatchet and axe heads in it. If you would send a pic I will try to find info for you.Pease see if there is a name ,probably near the butt of the unit. Please also check closley the bottom of the pot for a name. Sometimes they are obliterated by the smoke and residue from the fires under them.Bob

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
goldther.......the piece of the pot i have is only about 6-8 inches long, from the top of the pot...it is grooved for a lid, and has a rolled lip on top that rolls outward about 3/8-1/2 inch..guessing from the curve on the piece the pot was about 3 feet around at the top.....the hatchet head had 1/2 inch of goldish rust covering the whole thing,, it took about 20 doses of navel jelly before i could even tell what it was..... it measures app. 3 1/2 inches by app 4 inches and has a notch cut into the top of the blade...i can not find any kind of a mark on it as it is pitted pretty bad.........i will be happy to send an e-mail pic to anyone that may can date either one..... jakephelps was not able to find anything like it in his books, and jake, i really appreciate your time and effort................gldhntr

R

Rich

well rust indicated iron content,steel came in the early/mid 1800's.....so the axe is dated from 1850's down,also if there was a mark on the axe head then it would of been from the smith or country it came from "example- some early axe heads pre-dating the American Rev has the Crown/royal emblem on one side",..
But by all means DO NOT CLEAN IT WITH CLR OR LIMEAWAY,or any other rust inihibitor,...

USE ELECTROLISIS - A 12volt,2amp batt charger should work fine - Calcium carb aka -TUMS crushed,with a tea spoon of salt and 3 tea spoons of baking soda.,.also add a small amount of Hydro peroxide,...
JUST REMEMBER TO ATTACH THE NEGITIVE END TO THE IRON OBJECT,AND THEN THE POSITIVE TO A STAINLESS STEEL FORK/KNIFE/SPoon and DO NOT LET THE 2 OBJECTS OR THE CLAMPS TO TOUCH -that would cause a fire or injure-,also make sure all the ingredents and items are in your plastic container before turning on the charger...
wait and watch the process for 5 mins,and if OK then let it go for longer - a object that large or has a heavy iron denseity will take a few to finish to where you could make out a smithy mark,also it perserves the item for the future!!!!!...
can ya post a pic?...

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
appreciate the info rich......can't make out any marks but is still to covered with rust to really see....i am not able to post pics as i am too computer illiterate but can send you a few via e-mail if you are interested.....so far have not been able to find out a thing on it.................gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread