Book: Treasure Signs and Symbols : "International Explorers Club"

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Book: Treasure Signs and Symbols : "International Explorers Club"

I recently purchased a copy of the "International Explorers Club" Treasure Signs and Symbols by "Dr. D.Bo. O'Higgins, Sc. D." [NP: ND]. It is 8 1/2" x 11", bound in blue card stock, 26 pages that appear to have been photocopied from a mimeographed original.

Does anyone know anything about this book?

The Journals of El Dorado by Estee Conatser and Karl von Mueller (Dallas, Texas: 1977) lists Dr. Arnold Kortejarvi's Handbook of Treasure Symbols (St. Petersburg, Florida: 1969). Dr. O'Higgin's (sounds like a pen-name, doesn't it?) work bears a remarkable similarity to what Dr. Kortejarvi put out. The fact that the original appears to have been mimeo'd helps - although the Handbook is listed at 75 pages.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Grandfather of all treasure sign literature is the four pages of J. Frank Dobie's classic Coronado's Children (1930). About 95% of everything published on this subject since then appears to have been taken (without attribution, of course) from Prof. Dobie's excellent work.

For example, a comparison between Coronado's Children and Thomas P. Terry's A Pocket Guide to Treasure Signs (La Crosse, Wisconsin: 1977) does not reflect very well on Mr. Terry's effort. At the very least, in my opinion he should have credited his primary source.

The little Early Spanish Treasure Signs & Symbols by Wm. [Bill] Mahan (Dallas, Texas: 1963) contains considerably more than just signs - and appears to have been based on original research. It certainly is not just a copy of Dobie's work. Bill Mahan was a successful treasure hunter, of course - famous for his Padre Island finds, among others. He founded the D-Tex metal detector business.

This booklet contains an ad for the long-gone and much missed Foul Anchor Archives. Anyone who did business with Bob Nesmith remembers him fondly. I got my start collecting treasure hunting literature some four decades ago, buying from Bob after finding his name and address in Ladd's bibliography of treasure maps and charts.

If anyone has any more information on the publication with Dr. O'Higgins name on it, I would welcome it!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Re: Book: Treasure Signs and Symbols : "International Explorers Club"

Old Bookaroo said:
I recently purchased a copy of the "International Explorers Club" Treasure Signs and Symbols by "Dr. D.Bo. O'Higgins, Sc. D." [NP: ND]. It is 8 1/2" x 11", bound in blue card stock, 26 pages that appear to have been photocopied from a mimeographed original.

Does anyone know anything about this book?

The Journals of El Dorado by Estee Conatser and Karl von Mueller (Dallas, Texas: 1977) lists Dr. Arnold Kortejarvi's Handbook of Treasure Symbols (St. Petersburg, Florida: 1969). Dr. O'Higgin's (sounds like a pen-name, doesn't it?) work bears a remarkable similarity to what Dr. Kortejarvi put out. The fact that the original appears to have been mimeo'd helps - although the Handbook is listed at 75 pages.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Grandfather of all treasure sign literature is the four pages of J. Frank Dobie's classic Coronado's Children (1930). About 95% of everything published on this subject since then appears to have been taken (without attribution, of course) from Prof. Dobie's excellent work.

For example, a comparison between Coronado's Children and Thomas P. Terry's A Pocket Guide to Treasure Signs (La Crosse, Wisconsin: 1977) does not reflect very well on Mr. Terry's effort. At the very least, in my opinion he should have credited his primary source.

The little Early Spanish Treasure Signs & Symbols by Wm. [Bill] Mahan (Dallas, Texas: 1963) contains considerably more than just signs - and appears to have been based on original research. It certainly is not just a copy of Dobie's work. Bill Mahan was a successful treasure hunter, of course - famous for his Padre Island finds, among others. He founded the D-Tex metal detector business.

This booklet contains an ad for the long-gone and much missed Foul Anchor Archives. Anyone who did business with Bob Nesmith remembers him fondly. I got my start collecting treasure hunting literature some four decades ago, buying from Bob after finding his name and address in Ladd's bibliography of treasure maps and charts.

If anyone has any more information on the publication with Dr. O'Higgins name on it, I would welcome it!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

If you like the Mahan book, you'll probably want to get Handbook of Treasure Symbols, 1969, Dr. Arnold Kortejarvi.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

I agree with Springfield,
much information to acquire from Dr Kortejarvi's book
There are many sources of copies.

It seems to be the one that has the most copied signs and symbols.
all types, you are left to determine which is what.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

According to The Journals of El Dorado (Dallas, Texas: 1977) Dr. Kortejarvi's work is "Obviously a compilation of signs from other books. Does not discriminate between Spanish, French, Indian, hobo, and outlaw signs."

Dr. Kortejarvi was active in Florida in the late 1960's and early 1970's. From memory he published a magazine (I believe the title was Search) that lasted two or three issues, a couple of books, and a Florida "treasure map" that was apparently published to foster the plunder of Indian mounds and graves (isn't that how "Dr." L. Frank Hudson came to grief?).

In Karl von Mueller's The Treasure Hunter's Manual, Revised Sixth Edition (Boulder, CO: ND) there is a photo on page 199 of a "Spanish Landmark. This is a typical Spanish pointer." This photo is also in the RAM editions.

I wonder if this pointer didn't help KvonM find that large cache of Spanish silver. Some of this was melted down and cast into arrowheads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread