Contention Versus Opposition

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amerindian, Spanish, Jesuit, Mexican, and Early American Miners' Monuments and Markings

Are they real? This is a very controversial subject. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am on the Pro Side of things, but I can completely understand people who are on the Con Side.

The biggest problem with the Pro Argument is that when a real, honest to God, dyed in the wool, Treasure Hunter, finds a good site. They will NEVER post pictures of anything there while they are working it. If it DID lead them to a good find, why would they take the risk and expose themselves to legal and tax complications, just to prove a point to some people on a forum they don't know or could give a hoot about (most land caches are recovered "on the sly")? Only if they are too big would they HAVE to be recovered through all the correct and legal channels.

Here we arrive at the impasse! The Con Side will never give in without something concrete to go by, and the Pro Side are loathe to give any real evidence that could be used against them.

Matters are further complicated by an influx of three more types of people:

1. Crazies that see 300 year old Treasure signs in 5 year old bushes.

2. Eager Nubes who see signs in every crack and outcropping.

3. People, who for their own reasons, have a need for other people to think they are all knowing.

Number 1 can easily be countered, and there is no need to delve too deeply into them. You know who they are.

Number 2 can usually be reasoned with, as they are still in the learning stages. When shown the facts, they take them in and learn from their mistakes.

Number 3 is a much more difficult animal. They use their own version of history, which they either make up, or read on some whacky website or book. When somebody comes along with some knowledge of REAL history, and challenges them, their first response is name calling or derision. They don't want ANY contra-opinions (because that would force them to back up their statements with REAL facts, which they can't do).

Now, we have a new type of Con Side enter the picture. The Con that will NEVER face facts, even when slapped in the face by them. They are not there to learn, only to make arguments. There is a huge difference between a Pro or Con that is willing to face facts when presented, and those that stand behind themselves no matter what evidence to the contrary is presented.

Let me state this here and now:

IF YOU ARE A REAL TREASURE HUNTER. I MEAN A PERSON WHO DOES REAL RESEARCH (IN THE LIBRARIES AND THE DESERTS), THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR FROM A NAY-SAYER!

You will have evidence with which to back up any claims you make. If you don't have real evidence, then don't make the claim!

If you make a statement on a public forum, and somebody says that you are wrong, don't immediately jump on them, calling them names. SHOW YOUR PROOF! If you make the claim, you SHOULD have the proof to back it up. If that same person keeps nay-saying even after you have shown your irrefutable proof, then you have to decide yourself how to handle them. As for me, if they make intelligent arguments, I will research my side more deeply, to make certain my facts are straight, and then say so. If they are just gainsayers with no references or factual history to back them up, then I dismiss them for what they are. REMEMBER: There is a HUGE difference between an intelligent debater and a gainsayer.

These forums need Intelligent Debaters (Pro and Con). They keep us all grounded. They force us to all to be better researchers. When we are forced to back up our assertions with KNOWN facts, everybody benefits!

That's all I've got to saay about thaaat. F.G. 1994 ;D

Best-Mike

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
gollum:

Very well said! I see this frequently in the business of finance. Some jokers come in and start running a bank. Folks who've been there for a while question some of the new, frankly crazy, ideas. The new people respond with "You're not a team player" or "You just don't understand the world has changed" or whatever...

The bottom line is that in a few years they've run the thing right into the ground - and people who questioned it from the start could see it coming! Of course, they probably don't work there anymore, but they can still see their sad predictions play out.

People who stand on solid ground can withstand reasonable questions. Go ahead, take a swing and see if it's a hit. Folks who are overly defensive generally have something they are trying to hide.

I find it frustrating when people here don't cite their sources - they write about an article and may mention the name of the publication, often not the date. It would be very helpful if people always included their sources and references!

Questions should be asked in the right way. Writing comes across much more bluntly than conversation. We need to treat each other with respect - and that includes respecting other points of view.

Finally - let's all work to keep it fun. If it wasn't fun most people here would not be here, would they?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread