Signs and symbols software help

Shanghai

Greenie
Aug 16, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hi all - I'm thinking of building a database of signs and symbols, and wondering which software package would be best. I'm guessing I'd have to draw each individual symbol freehand (Photoshop?) and then link to another document with the description. Would it be possible to create True Type Fonts so I could use the symbols in Office? Is the project even do-able? I ain't no programmer. Thanks!

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
As a non-programmer, I think you should check into picassa by google. It is free and is a photo (jpg) organizer. You can add searchable keywords (tags) and some what lengthy captions or descriptions to each image.

So you can build a searchable data base and the software is free to dowload and runs on your pc. Save your drawings and jpg and you will be good to go.

If you want to learn programming, use php and a mysql database.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm already doing this, and if you REALLY want to do it right, you need to use as powerful a software program as you can find.

Some of the best database programs for your money are MS Access and Filemaker 9. You need your software to be searchable in many methods.

Not using a database, you could make it in Adobe Acrobat as a searchable .pdf file.

Good Luck-Mike

OP
OP
S

Shanghai

Greenie
Aug 16, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Very good info guys. Thanks for your responses. Access for Dummies is my next step! :icon_pirat:

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gollum,

If I am using a program called PAINT to draw on photos--can you tell me step by step how to crop a photo?

Also is there a way to get a mirror image of a photo?

[email protected]

Thank you. Barton

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gollum,

If I am using a program called PAINT to draw on photos--can you tell me step by step how to crop a photo?

Also is there a way to get a mirror image of a photo?

[email protected]

Thank you. Barton

Choose (click on) the "Selection" tool found here:

selec t.jpg

Place the selection by locating the cursor where you want one corner of your final image, hold down the left mouse button and move the cursor to the opposite corner (opposite both horizontally and vertically).

Next click on the "Crop" tool found here:

crop.jpg

You will have cropped your image. Now, save it with a different name than the original or you will lose everything you cropped out of the photo.

To make a "left right" mirror, right click on the image. This will bring up a dialogue box. Scroll down to the selection called "Rotate".

rotatate.jpg

Now, move your mouse to the new dialog box and choose "Flip Horizontally".

mirror.jpg

Better choice, if you are strapped for funds, GIMP is free and a quality image editor.

If you have a few dollars, PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate (what I use) is about $50 right now at Newegg.com.

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Chadeaux,

Thank you for your assistance--you taught me exactly what I needed to know.
Barton

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You're very welcome.

Just keeping a promise to a friend from years ago. He agreed to show me, if I promised to show others who needed assistance.

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a web designer. If you sent me all of the symbols in a zip file it would be easy enough to create a nice looking website to categorize and display them!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm a web designer. If you sent me all of the symbols in a zip file it would be easy enough to create a nice looking website to categorize and display them!

Probably won't happen.

If they were my symbols, it definitely wouldn't happen.

That isn't about you but about my keeping what I am looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread