A odd Tree:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Sorry, I intended to post a pic of this tree I found but forgot my camera which had the Card with the photo in it. Regardless, I found this odd tree while on Vacation to see the family in Tennessee over Christmas in a old cemetery. It is a huge cedar with a pine growing out of it about 7 to 8 feet up. The pine grows out about a 30 degree angle creating a giant V. I detected around the tree and found a couple of clad quarters. I shot a 274 degree azmuth through the V and followed it to a old growth oak in the woods. The same 274 degrees gave me another old growtn oak in line with the first one. A third old growth oak line up on 274 from that oak. I had to stop because the sun was setting, but I was wondering if this merited futher investigation. The Cedar does not have a obovious crook or hollow that the pine could have grown out of and the area was a hot bed of Confedrate sympathizers. Thanks, and I will try and post tomorrow. BTW This is the first time I have ever found a tree like this and was let on to the location of it by a freinds father.( I had walked by it several times in the past without ever noticing it).

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
could it have been grafted? maybe 270 with 4 degree of delineation?which would place these three oaks in an east west line? v is the east? how far from water? caves? rock carvings? mining in area? what type? rev war,civil war , surrender nearby? just a few questions for you. v is a chevron! any oaks twisted like a corkscrew with two trees?

OP
OP
21stTNCav

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Hey, Several brigades of calvery and infantry were recruited for the Rebels during the Civil War from the town where this cemetery is located. Like most of rural West Tennessee the area is crisscrossed by streams. I was looking at a Topo yesterday on the net and noted that there was a pond that looked to be in line with the Oaks futher into the woods. There were tons of troop movement in this area. Forrest, Bragg, and Van Dorn were all close by at one time or the other. The oaks lead to the West from the big V in the tree(not due West but close), and the Pine does look grafted. I did not spot any corkscrewed trees, but the area is well wooded past the cemetery so I will be sure and look when I go back this spring.

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
possibly it was due west at the time it was possibly constructed. 1860's possibly causing the 4 degree offset. but im not sure if it would delineate in that direction?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
kiddrock33 said:
could it have been grafted? maybe 270 with 4 degree of delineation?which would place these three oaks in an east west line? v is the east? how far from water? caves? rock carvings? mining in area? what type? rev war,civil war , surrender nearby? just a few questions for you. v is a chevron! any oaks twisted like a corkscrew with two trees?

A "V" may be either a directional indicator or a symbol for 5.
I agree with Kidd otherwise.

If you can get a good picture of that tree I would sure like to see it as well as some of the other points of interest.
That would sure put things in a different light.

OP
OP
21stTNCav

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks a lot y'all. I am going to take a look on goggle earth and see if I can spot any other stuff like the pond. I appreciate your input especially since this is the first time I have found a tree like this. Thanks :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread