Maybe one of you folks..........

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
can shed some light on this one. I found this silver coin back in the 70's and have never found out anything on it. I posted in best finds and decided to try this section also. The front and the back don't seem to jive. The side with the chalice and the cryptic letters seem to be older than the Masonic theme on the other side. Of course, I no nothing about the Masonic Organizations. It could be there own language.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Attachments

• masons1.JPG
    masons1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 523
  • masons1.JPG
    masons1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 519

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. First off, a little history of the find would be nice. What area of the country, how you found it, etc.
Second, it would also help to see the back of the coin. You mention a masonic theme, but no pics or description. Just based on what I see here, my first thought is possibly Templar in origin or Phoenician.
I would also suggest that you post this on coin collectors sites. These people specialize in coins and could possibly have a better idea of what period of history the coin is from. Just a few thoughts, I hope it helps.

I did a quick web search and found your coin. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Jewish_Revolt_coinage

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Wow!

A big thanks is in order here! THANKS!

I think you nailed down the origin of this coin. I don't see a close match yet, but it does appear to be the Paleo-Hebrew dialect. And the chalice theme is obvious.

And it would make sense that a Mason could alter the coin as a keepsake for himself. The coin was found in Southern Maine, about 90+ miles north of Waltham, MA. I found it at a beach and I figured that the gentleman whose name is on the coin may have been vacationing
during the summer and lost it.

Here is the other side.

Attachments

• masons2.JPG
    masons2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 493
  • masons2.JPG
    masons2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 480

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what exactly is the name....i see Baker.....but cant make out the first name

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
point hunter said:
Hi. I did some more research on the web and ran across this post from the old Tnet site. This link gives a description of a similar coin.

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?topic=27312.0

I was having trouble figuring out why someone would deface such a rare coin. Mystery solved!

You da man! Or, to be politically correct; You da person!

I never thought I could get this far, this fast. This is very cool! I now have most of what I need to complete the story of this coin. I have found a Jewett C. Baker in the 1900 , 1920, and 1930 census of Massachusetts, in the vicinity of Waltham. Further genealogy research may be able to tie the coin to this person. The timeline is good, although there are a few Jewett C. Baker's out there.

Thank You for your interest and the helpful info!

HH

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Glad I could help. When you finish your research I would like to hear the rest of the story. Now that you have located him, it shouldn't be too hard. Good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread