Please look at this sketch (pics NOW added ... from cell phone)

Trespasser

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2008

Attachments

• symbol.jpg
    symbol.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,320
  • symbol 3.jpg
    symbol 3.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,445
  • symbol 1.jpg
    symbol 1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,426
  • symbol 2.jpg
    symbol 2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,423

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
look at the coat of arms on the internet, it may be welch, spanish or french, it depends on the location of this carving, not sure. in the old days of solders fighting with shield and sword and of high rank, they would mark the location of there burial by some type of symbol. normally the possesions and his sword/shield would be placed on top of his body as a sign of respect. if it is carved on a flat serface, it may be a trail marker saying we stopped here and follow one of the points on the carving. check where north is related to the carving. also, if it is flat, you will need to follow all points to see where they led and if you use topo/Ariel maps it may show an old trail, cave, or a good camping area. not knowing the state makes harder to make guess.

OP
OP
T

Trespasser

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2008
boomer said:
look at the coat of arms on the internet, it may be welch, spanish or french, it depends on the location of this carving, not sure. in the old days of solders fighting with shield and sword and of high rank, they would mark the location of there burial by some type of symbol. normally the possesions and his sword/shield would be placed on top of his body as a sign of respect. if it is carved on a flat serface, it may be a trail marker saying we stopped here and follow one of the points on the carving. check where north is related to the carving. also, if it is flat, you will need to follow all points to see where they led and if you use topo/Ariel maps it may show an old trail, cave, or a good camping area. not knowing the state makes harder to make guess.

Thanks Boomer. The symbol is in SW Utah (near Virgin River) and is not flat but upright and facing roughly North (a bit NE).

By the way, I'm from Louisville, where do you live in KY?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
It is reminiscent of a carved symbol I saw in a book once.
Of a shield with a cross in it.
The description said only "Church treasure nearby"

If I can find a copy of it I will post it,
Otherwise I will copy it on a sheet of paper and take a photo.

Thom

OP
OP
T

Trespasser

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2008
Old Dog said:

Thom

Thanks, look fwd to it Thom.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
this was an interesting one, i do a lot of work on this type of carving for people. first: the people that did this were of a military mind and religious. when doing the carving, they cut it with what they were familiar with, sword, shield and cross. they saw the cliffs shaped in this manner. Spanish maybe?. but, did they carry shields?. 2. the tip of the sword is the entry way thru a gap, that is shaped like the bottom part of the sword. there is no other way in to this area, but thru the gap. with high cliffs all around. where the bottom part of the shield meets the sword, you must go down another set of cliffs to get in the valley. the shield is a cliff area that goes around forming the shield.
the D in the center is a large hill and the offset line points to the cross. this is bad area. if you would like the location, let me know, you have something here. there is alot more. i'm from ashland

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Old Dog said:

Thom

Here it is in one of my field books

Attachments

• Church_vault_symbol -A.jpg
    Church_vault_symbol -A.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 940

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
from the bottom of or tip of the sword, that is where a small pass is in the cliff. it opens up into the shaft of the sword with cliffs on both sides. where the sword meets the bottom of the shield, this is the edge of a cliff that circles around like the curve of the shield. standing at the cliff edge and looking across, you will see the hill in the center of this small valley. ( check top of hill for more signs ) you must go down the cliff to the valley floor. the other D's i'm not sure of, but there may be a carving or something on the top of the big hill pointing in the direction to go. at the top of the shield is the cross, there is an opening in the cliff with cliffs on both sides. its about an 1/8 of a mile and you will come to a place that has 3 drains coming together, this forms the arms of the cross. ( there may be something at each end of the arms ) the head of the cross it dead ends here. ( this is a strange canyon,shaped like a cross and shield )anyway there seems to be many caves and what looks to be a large rock house. all of it needs to be searched. its spanish, what a hiding place. good luck with this and take your time and don't go alone.
by the way, the line is off set going across the shield thats your sight line to find the way in to the opening of the cross.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Boomer,
That is about the best interp I have heard so far.
I certainly would go back and give this thing another search.
this one is too good to let go of.

Thom

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Old Dog, i do mostly map research for people east of the Mississippi. but, when i saw this post something clicked, what got me interested, some where sometime i have seen that drawing, oh well. the D's on the shield i have been searching around and came up with one name, Father Francisco Dominguez, also there has been found a lot of gold where this boy is searching and there are stories of a spanish mission in the area back in 1542. using a 3D mapping system this site where the tip of the sword is the entry way in to this small box cannon has to be one of the best hiding places i have ever seen. with 3D i was able to see a small trail going to the back of the cannon to the cross. Mercy, if i was close to that area, well you know what i mean.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
TTH's
Of course you guys may be correct in your solutions...
However I think that shape is not a shield at all..never really seen
a shield in that configuration..... I might be wrong but..

I see the shape of on Ola.,. a water jar, or more precisely in Jesuit Code
a "Treasure Jar".,,you can find the shape in Picketts Field book or Carsons
little book of signs.. I have found it twice in the field...

AS for the D's (D the 4th letter =D4).,,that is the very well used Deuteronomy Chapter 4
"....These are the statutes and judgments that I give you this day...."

Also unless the drawing is over simplified, the top of the 'sword' looks more like a cross
than a sword handle, look close! then there is the "X" which could mean Xxxxx Xxxxx!

The Codemakers often used the signs for double and triple meanings, so we both could be right!
hope this helps
rangler

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rangler said:
TTH's
Of course you guys may be correct in your solutions...
However I think that shape is not a shield at all..never really seen
a shield in that configuration..... I might be wrong but..

I see the shape of on Ola.,. a water jar, or more precisely in Jesuit Code
a "Treasure Jar".,,you can find the shape in Picketts Field book or Carsons
little book of signs.. I have found it twice in the field...

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. The jar itself, known as an Amphora, was used my many different cultures.
They also came in all shapes & sizes....

Bran <><

http://www.the-romans.co.uk/economy.htm

05.amphora.jpg

Amphora, for transporting or keeping liquids such as wine and olive oil,
with a capacity of 20-25 litres. If it had no other cargo, a merchant ship might well
carry six thousand amphorae, each weighing 50 kilos, in layers.
(Illustration by John Pittaway from Picture Reference Ancient Romans, Brockhampton Press 1970)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
boomer said:
Old Dog, i do mostly map research for people east of the Mississippi. but, when i saw this post something clicked, what got me interested, some where sometime i have seen that drawing, oh well. the D's on the shield i have been searching around and came up with one name, Father Francisco Dominguez, also there has been found a lot of gold where this boy is searching and there are stories of a spanish mission in the area back in 1542. using a 3D mapping system this site where the tip of the sword is the entry way in to this small box cannon has to be one of the best hiding places i have ever seen. with 3D i was able to see a small trail going to the back of the cannon to the cross. Mercy, if i was close to that area, well you know what i mean.

I have info on Fr Domiguez.
(off the top of my head)
He was an understudy of Fray Escalante who was sent to find the Western route to California by the Governor of Santa Fe.
Dominguez was sent on the second trip and failed as bad as his predisesor.
Let me look in my stuff and find some more for you.
These guys left marks that have lasted for over 200 years in this part of the country.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
looks like trespasser is noy interested or he is in them mountains looking or lost where is he since his last post

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have found this carving. I have hooked up with TP'er and we're still stumped. Any ideas?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread