joooblooo

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2011
Okie
Detector(s) used
minelab
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ahh, thanks! I keep reading about marks leading to mines? Like an old ore mine? What is the good in that, and why would it be hard to find one? Wouldn't it just be a hole?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
joooblooo said:
I was wondering if a "T" is capital with the hook-em's like a Texas T like this, is specifically a 20, or if it is more of the diamond directional one? There are other symbols on this boulder and other markers near by.

Nice 'T', jb. It's significance is extremely variable - there are many reasons why rock carvings were (are) made. It'd be interesting to see the other carvings, etc. you found nearby. Does the carving refer to a nearby mine? Anything's possible, but it's not likely.

Is there anything special about finding old mines? If you are in an area with a history of mining, probably not, except as interesting historical tidbits. Of course, old mines indicate mineralization, which probably means some wealth was extracted back in the day. See if you can research the mining history (if any) of this area - this will give you some idea of what was going on there. Old abandoned mines overwhelmingly tell you one thing - the ore played out and the miners moved on. If you do happen across old workings, remember you are risking life and limb to enter them, even if you are experienced.

joooblooo

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2011
Okie
Detector(s) used
minelab
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
close by there is a pile of rocks. the moss is sticking the rocks together so they have been there a while. also there is this upside down 7, or arrow, or whatever on the same rock as the T. Sorry didn't move the stick for the photo so it kind of is in the way.
Pile of rocks cropped.JPG
upside down 7 cropped.JPG
There are no letters or anything even close on any boulders in this area, so I know the markings aren't natural.

joooblooo

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2011
Okie
Detector(s) used
minelab
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
hmmm.... i need to get back out to the area, it's been about 5 mo's. My SE Explorer didn't pick anything up (at All) it's very clean ground there. I bought a GPX 4500 so it should be fun and easy to rummage around. Only problem is the 4 hour round trip drive. Next time I'll grab more photos. Now I'm really curious about the 20 varas. Never had any of this info before, thanks for the help guys.

minetres

Mar 13, 2008
Here inn New Mexico I located two burials by following the long arm of a "T" just like this one plus there were other alignment marks that also lined up to mark the exact spot. The location of the burial was about 60 Yards away.

Minetres

joooblooo

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2011
Okie
Detector(s) used
minelab
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This hunt is in correlation to information about the James gang. I was hunting a specific formation, and walked up thinking this boulder matched perfectly. Then when I came around the other side, there was these markings. I hope it's not just coincidence, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. So far everything matches, I'm just afraid I'll get right on it and miss it because I don't know symbols.
Hopefully I don't end up digging graves. Has anyone done that before? That would be a little creepy seeing how far from any roads this is

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
In SW New Mexico, JWJ was alleged to have spent time in Hillsboro, Steeple Rock and Silver City, where it's said he was the silent owner of the old Southern Hotel, which was destroyed in a flood in the early 20th century. We've located a similar mirrored JJ 'anchor' (rounded, not squared style) - I'll post it if I can locate the pic. The other carving (the zigzag) seems appropriate to the JWJ topic too.

Now that JWJ has entered the conversation, then yes, old mines can possibly be important. For example, what better place to hide something than in an empty hole? Good luck and good hunting.

OP
OP
rangler

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
jooo
sorry your marks look natural..sometimes natural marks [rock incorporation] are used, but other signs , classic type would be nearby...
better to back track to where you found the last good sign and take it from there...
rangler
St Anthony\'s Cross or TAU.png

Attachments

• St Anthony\'s Cross or TAU.png
    St Anthony\'s Cross or TAU.png
    1,017 bytes · Views: 1,250
OP
OP
rangler

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
casca,
a pic of the double dogs will help, perhaps a janus monument, but I can't imagine why all
the dogs would be depicted that way...and if not janus, then an alpha monument will contain
both black and white dogs...no point in guessing, wil wait for your pics
rangler

atal46.jpg

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I hope it's not to late to post to this topic. I've been into metal detecting for a couple of years now and one site that I have gotten permission to hunt on has a wooded area and a cleared area where it's been used for farming at one time. I've found lots of carvings on the site (very few on rocks and lots on trees), so much in fact I'm sure alot of it is just graffiti of one sort or another, but some it has me wondering if someone has hidden something there that they have tried to make a trail back to find it. Anyway I have some pictures of some of the markings I've found and I'm hoping these are pictures that will give you some idea of what I'm seeing.

This first tree after reading some of the material here I'm thinking is some type of hoyo, but please correct me if I am wrong as I am sure I am and on the side of it from what I have read must be some kind of directional marker(???) and graffiti closer down on the tree. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for any help.:

Family-169.jpg
Family-170.jpg

poorfarm

Feb 13, 2011
looks kgc
and looks like someone tried to cover up markings
look through hoyo go in both dir to look for any other signs

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if those letters "K W C" might stand for the Knights of the White Camellia. That was a forerunner of the KKK in many areas.

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions. So that is a hoyo? I thought it looked like the tree was made to grow that way.... Thats interesting about the KWC and KGC. I've read some about the KGC, but not about the KWC. I'll have to read some about them. This next tree is in line with where the hoyo looks in one direction. It has lots of markings on it. Some look to be merely graffiti, but there may have been some purpose behind. Some of other markings are signs or symbols that I've seen in other books and online. I'm thinking in a way the symbols are trying to point out that there is something there and kind of telling what may be the next step, but I can't clearly define anything as there is so much going on on the tree. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks for your help.

Family-179.jpg
Family-180.jpg
Family-181.jpg
Family-177.jpg

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome Oroblanco! Glad to be here!

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick question. I was just wondering, did I post this in the wrong topic? I noticed there were others that probably were more related to my question. Thanks for the help.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
The second pic looks like it might be something to me. The D in the U shape. You could try posting the thread as a seperate thread,
tree signs as the subject. I do not know anything about them Also look up Hoss's postings.

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help. I will definitely look up those postings and took your advice and changed the the thread I started to Tree Markings. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread