107.7 KB · Views: 498

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: Tell me

Eagle,
It apears to be a signpost
if you look close there is a crossing of trails here.

One coming from the bottom of the picture and heading for the top.
The other coming from the lower left and heading right.
The first trail seems to be the main one.

This marker is set up to keep the two seperate.

OP
OP
eagle

eagle

Apr 11, 2008
Re: Tell me

These are in the same area..

Hi Old Dog, Maybe we could go look these over some time???

Attachments

• 100_0750 copy.jpg
    100_0750 copy.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 100_0759 copy.jpg
    100_0759 copy.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 450

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hey brady.takes a while for the vision to start working. Looking at a lot of pictures and also strolling through areas that ARE natural versus ones that have some modification help. Old Dogs thread is a great place to start.

I have marked few things I noticed...though i am no expert. It is just why I would strongly consider this a trail marker.

Would need to follow the pointers and see if other unusual markers appeared for me to be sure.

100_0751 crop.jpg

First of we have an elongated almost animal or bird like figure/pointer sitting atop thin sheets of rock that sit upon a very different black colored rock, I do not see slate like sheet rock elsewhere in this formation. Makes me think...artificially placed. The black rock seems mighty flat compared to surrounding rocks. Looks like the long pointer was placed there.

Then a lot of little anamorphic heads around..with one distinctive feature. An eye just about where an eye should be.
I've not arrowed all of them. For me things get a little dicey when markers get small and is hard to tell if an individual one is natural or not. But this is what i call a gathering. There are a lot and so that tends to makes them artificial in my experience.

Plus they are looking at something that is also unusual. One i did not mark looks like a crocodile head or an emaciated bird head of some sort..lower middle, to the left.. it points up at about a25 to 30 degree angle i guess..toward the little upright stone.

They are all looking to the pointer or..else in direction of trails (I imagine). In this case i think most of them are saying "look here for more info"

The "shield" that hangs off the elongated marker or is resting against it and atop the black rock may itself be a figure..like a fat owl. Then again may be not. There may be carvings on it..the two angled cuts coming to a point at the bottom and other carvings on it and elsewhere in the formation. I just recently stated looking for closely for carvings and am struggling with natural versus artificial in that arena. So I am not sure.

What the "shield rock" with angled cuts in it is pointing down to though is very interesting to me. It looks like a little face there at the bottom, wearing something. Pictures can be deceiving though. It could be just a white line with 3 bumps to indicate 3 trails or have some other meaning..

Context is everything. Down in the valley i've marked three possible trails. The middle ones seems to have some interesting monuments. From this angle..if you lineup the little upright, and the hanging "shield" it seems to point down the line of those monuments or rock formations in the valley. The little rock on the right, atop the elongated pointer may provide another guide point for sighting down into the valley.

You crouch down and take a look. The little rock on top would guide the line of sight preventing you from looking too far to the right.

Well.that would be how i would read it. Looking around would tell the tale i guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread