Apr 16, 2008

Attachments

• duis-tower-marker.jpg
    duis-tower-marker.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 429

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :thumbsup: :read2: Sounds FRENCH... a church/tower in France in the "old" days; HAND of G*D blessing the HEART of "MAN" :hello2: :coffee2: :thumbsup: ADONY... could be ADONAI. 8) (SUNNY out...).

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear desertmoons;
At first glance, older Christian (Roman Catholic) icons can be misconstued as esoteric symbols, but this is not the case. After researching the photo which you've posted, I found that the tower in question is not located anywhere in Europe at all, rather it's part of a facade on a watch tower located in Dauis, Philipines.
To de-codify the icon for you, the icon which you've posted a photo of is in all actuality the Sacred Coat of Arms of the Order of Augustian Recollects, which were founded in Spain during the early 16th century, if I remember correctly. We first see a Bishop's hat at the very top and the Bishop's tassles extending downwards. The 6 tassles tells us that it a Bishop. In the center is the flaming heart of Jesus, pierced by twin arrows of Love. The lettering below is the acronym of the Order of Recollects, in Latin.
I hope this helps you and if you have any more questions on the subject, please do not hesitate to ask.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desertmoons,

My research agrees with Lamar's. Adding however that what you see as the fingers of a hand on top of the heart is really meant to be flames depicting Saint Augustine's flaming heart pierced by the arrows of divine love.

GG~

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Well thank you so very much everyone.

Its quite interesting the symbols used. :)

Appreciate the time everyone put it into it

And swr...nice to see it all in context.

Thanks again

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Another question....

Lamar, I've been thinking about Tio over at Potosi (potasi?) ands its evolution as a symbol. The reason being is I've seen a symbol or two that reminds me of Tio.

Some say Tio was a response to Spanish actions..others say a natural evolution from more ancient Native spirits.

I've read some ridiculous statements saying the clergy there "forced" the natives to worship Tio.

What I was wondering was what was the clerical point of view back then.. Some pagan symbols and dates have been incorporated into the main religion. I was wondering if you have any thoughts on how the clerical hierarchy in your neck of the woods treated or dealt with pagan symbols or idolatry when the area was under foreign control. Specifically Tio...

Thanks!
DM

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear desertmoons:
You've asked a very interesting question and when I first arrived in Bolivia I also wondered about the origins of El Tio, just as you do now. In order to explain what I know about El Tio, I will first need to re-cap who El Tio is and where his origins come from, so everyone who reads this topic will be enlightened.

First, El Tio, which literally means The Uncle in English, is a minor religious deity who is *worshipped* by hard rock miners around the Potosi district in Bolivia, however Potosi is by no means the only region is which El Tio is honored. I've discovered that El Tio lives on in all parts of the shaft mining zones of Bolivia as well throughout other regions of South America, mostly notably Peru, Columbia and Brazil. I've also discovered the reason behind this widespread worship and I will explain how El Tio got to be so popular throughout South America in just a moment.

When the South American colonists first started to seriously mine for minerals they soon discovered that native labor was poorly suited for the task at hand and they soon turned to their Portuguese neighbors to barter for African slaves from the Portuguese colonies in Africa. With the arrival of these new workers they brought with them their religious beliefs and customs and since the Africans worshipped multiple deities, it was only natural that they continued doing so in the New World colonies.

From a Christian standpoint, God is represented as living in Heaven which is above us, then the devil would logically live in the fiery hot depths of the Earth. These African slaves held a deep respect for all dieties, both the good and the evil ones, therefore they took to offering small sacrifices to the devil before entering the mine shafts every time they went down to work. It then became commonplace to find small alters carved into niches just inside the openings of practically every mine shaft and it was here that the workers would place small offerings of tobacco, sugar or other such sacrifice in order to appease the deity who lived and reigned in the underworld they were soon to enter.

With the Christianization of the African slaves, they slowly converted the purely pagan worship of El Tio into a semi-Christian form of worship, replete with Christian style prayers and icons, to include cruxifixes, religious icons and statues. Since repeating the name of the devil was traditionally shunned by medieval Christians, the local miners took to calling this spirit El Tio, so as not to offend the Christian missionaries. Eventually El Tio evolved into a very Christian-like representation of the devil as we currently know him, most notably sharp, well chieseled featured, goat-like eyes, small horns protruding from the forehead, etc.

The tradition of worshipping El Tio evolved along the exact same lines as voodoo has in the Carribean islands, where there is also a very large populace of ancestors of African slaves. The custom of worshipping El Tio evolved away from the eyes of the missionaries as the miners kept all references and materials regarding El Tio inside the mine shafts where the missionaries seldom ventured, therefore the worship of El Tio remained relatively unknown to the Catholic clergy for several centuries.

By the time El Tio became known to the outside world, the custom was so well established that it evolved into a tradtional symbol of good luck to offer a small sacrifice to him. In every mine that I've been inside of there is
always at least one small statue of El Tio and EVERYONE offers up a couple of cigarettes or a peso or two (just to be safe :wink: ) In fact, the superstition has become so large that many miners will not permit visitors to enter a mineshaft unless they've offered up a token sacrifice in order to appease El Tio. It's all a bunch of superstitious nonsense, but why take unecessary chances?

In short, the Catholic clergy did not know about the existence of El Tio and if they would have known they most certainly would have attempted to halt the pagan worship practices that is associated with him. Today, one can find various small statues of El Tio, either carved in wood or made from clay in the local markets around Potosi, Oruro and La Paz.
Your friend;
LAMAR
Post Scriptum; I've taken the liberty of posting a photo of one of the many statues of El Tio which may be found throughout the mineshafts of the famous Cerro Rico (Rich Mountain) mine in Potosi, Bolivia. Please note that I have been informed that the particular statue in the photo has since been removed from the mine and is now housed in a museum.

Attachments

• ElTioFigure006.jpg
    ElTioFigure006.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 288
OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks lamar for your thoughts. I tend to think they are a continuation of an older religion. But no ones knows for sure.

Next oddball..question..

I wonder if people made fun of any of the kings of spains of the colonial period..for having a big nose!

This is so...obscure...not finding anything on it.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Desertmoons;
The bulk of the legend of El Tio seems to have originated in West Africa and it was brought over by the slaves who worked the mines in South America. There is one big note of caution, however. Attempting to discern fact from fiction in regards to the historical religious practices of the indigenious peoples of South America is nigh impossible, as the colonists destroyed so much of the native religious practices.

As aware as I am aware, there has never been any caricaturing of a king of colonial Spain in the New World colonies, most likely due to the fact that very few people had actually seen the King and there was very little printed documentation available.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
okay..thanks!

I will stop looking for caricatures of the kings then

Appreciate your thoughts.

DM