hand in a rock

Chip

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2003
I have been treasure hunting with a friend in Alabama for a good number of years and there is a certain shaped rock for a civil war treasure that we have been using as a supposed marker for a dray of gold bars buried in the vicinity. A few years ago we met up with a friend ... of my friend. This man also knew of this rocks legend and found it once while out hunting arrowheads On this rock formation.it had a "human Hand " chiseled into one of the sides. He knocked of part of the hand that was on a pryable outcropping knowing that someone might see it and reap the benefits at some future date without him . He said that it would've driven him nuts knowing that he had been so close and wanted to do something to curtail that. I saw the new marks on the rock where he pryied it. Does anyone know what a human Hand might indicate? Chip

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me! But good luck with that! :o

Nana ;)

T

tallpaul

its at hand ,,, close by,, maybe 5 feet or five yards,, maybe 5 feet down,, maybe 5 feet up is there any old trees there with large trunks,.

OP
OP
C

Chip

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2003
As far as bent trees, the area looks as though it might have been clear cut sometime in the 70's or early 80's . This particular area that i write of, is plowable up to "the rock" and rocks around it , and then slopes up a steeper hill composed of less fat rocks and earth. I have looked for signs in the trees as i 've wondered if could be KGC ,but to nothing really to go on except he hand carving. I have grided alot of the area around it with a deep seeking detector and ground resistant unit, Chip

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
it may have been pointing in a certain direction.......your freind should be hit with the hand for destroying such a marker.....if he was not capable of figuring it out himself he should of at least left the marker for future hunters to ponder...........................gldhntr

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
First, keep an open mind, by thinking one thing it can throw you off. Each group had there own idea of what they where going to use for a sign. Early Indians carved or painted hands on rocks, Explorers carved hands to mark the way. Most are trail signs. Sad the hand is not there. If the rock was slanted and out in the open for anyone to see, its probably a trail sign.
1. hand with palm up - closed fingers, follow thumb
stop go back
2. - open fingers and thumb, look for creek with five drains, follow finger tips
look for four hills with one by itself
3. - Three fingers close together, little finger making a V \lll! go in that direction
or look for a pass or gap
Has you can see, there are so many ways to look at a carving. can you put a drawing of the hand on the site. was there anything carved in the center of the hand? Take a topo map and see if you can match something, Rock out crops, creek with five drains, hill tops, ridge line, valley with five hollows. Its hard sometimes to try to get into the head of the maker of a carving. good luck

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
JACKO said:
Hey Chip----? ?When I see someone holding their palm? toward me, I think of the universal "stop Sign".? ? ?That's my guess

? ?Jacko
I am not sure but I thought that in the old days that when a man raised his hand palm toward the other person that it meant I have no weapon That I come in friendship I may be wrong ??? Buck

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Buck --- that's true, if your playing cowboy and Indians. We'er talking meaning of possible spanish signs. Like the rest said it depends on how the fingers were on the rock and since it was broken up hard telling what it means.

Jacko

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
JACKO said:
? Buck --- that's true, if your playing cowboy and Indians. We'er talking meaning of possible spanish signs. Like the rest said it depends on how the fingers were on the rock and since it was broken up hard telling what it means.

? ? Jacko
READ your history books? the raising? of a empty hand dates way past your cowboy and Indians days and long before the universal stop sign days for I don't think the Spanish had stop signs back then or did they???? Jacko.. all I am saying is this if a raised EMPTY HAND MEAN NO WEAPON? maybe it mean PEACE between the Spanish and the Indians? I am sure that there were other things happing in the new world other that mining but then I am no expert Buck

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Buck-- I guess you didn't read the last post I made?? Chip is asking for help. I suggested that the hand may mean stop here.
So, get back on track.

Jacko

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
JACKO said:
Hey Chip----? ?When I see someone holding their palm? toward me, I think of the universal "stop Sign".? ? ?That's my guess

? ?Jacko
Just remember the spanish were NOT miners they were soldiers THE INDIANS were the slave force/miners so i will stick to the hand sign meaning peace or what boomer wrote but not a stop sign :D :D

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
Hi,
Reply #6 was good info. But theres more, Sight across the finger tips to other signs or markings on trees and rocks.

These Spainards used this one alot, I've seen the same thing in AZ,UT,NV. See my posting "Signs and Markers"

Aufinder01

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
Aufinder01 said:
Hi,
Reply #6 was good info. But theres more, Sight across the finger tips to other signs or markings on trees and rocks.

These Spainards used this one alot, I've seen the same thing in AZ,UT,NV. See my posting "Signs and Markers"

Aufinder01
MAKES SENSE TO ME MORE THAT THE STOP SIGN POST

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Boomer on this. It wouldn't make much sense to use a visual code if everyone had the "Rock Symbols for Dummies" book to interpret them. The symbols would be chosen that ment something to only those in the know. They might even "misuse" regular symbols to throw off outsiders or add meaningless ones on red herring side-trails.

Right hand might indicate a turn 90? to the right that's a little less obvious than an arrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions