Could this be a sign?

Fisher Lou

Greenie
Jul 20, 2009
Old River Winfree, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big time newbie here. Had a chance to visit New Mexico to do a little hiking with my Girl Friend and we came arcoss a "marker"? So what do yall think? Is it a sign, marker, or just a pile of rocks? I should mention that it is high up the mountain and it seems to be man made. If so, someone went through alot of effort to place it here.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 064 - Copy.JPG
    064 - Copy.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_3254 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3254 - Copy.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 549

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Fisher Lou said:
Big time newbie here. Had a chance to visit New Mexico to do a little hiking with my Girl Friend and we came arcoss a "marker"? So what do yall think? Is it a sign, marker, or just a pile of rocks? I should mention that it is high up the mountain and it seems to be man made. If so, someone went through alot of effort to place it here.
Thanks.
You got a fine lookin sign and a fine lookin GF .

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Property marker... maybe. That's an obvious sign and must have been made for very specific and visually necessary reason.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Were you in a mineralized area, such as Pinos Altos? This looks like a mining claim corner, possibly a location monument. If so, it's old style (rock cairn). Did you poke around near the base of the big rock? It's possible there is a Prince Albert tobacco can, or something similar for the time period, in the rock pile with a copy of the location papers inside (probably disintegrated by now). There are thousands of these old cairns to be found all over the southwest.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
At this point I must agree,
Yes it is a marker.
But it is probably a claim marker, marking one corner of a claim.
did it just "show up" or was there other signs that led you to it?

If there were other signs, did you take pictures?

OP
OP
F

Fisher Lou

Greenie
Jul 20, 2009
Old River Winfree, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield, You are spot on. It was near the Pinos Altos area that we were hiking. We thought is was interesting so we took a few pics and left it alone. We found another pile of "stacked" rocks near by and left them alone also. Running out of daylight, we started heading back.

Old Dog, we were just hiking along a mountain ridge looking for anything of interest. It was just neat being out in the wilderness.

I really enjoy reading this section of the forum. Please tell me more. Could there be spanish signs around the Pinos Altos area?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Fisher Lou said:
Springfield, You are spot on. It was near the Pinos Altos area that we were hiking. We thought is was interesting so we took a few pics and left it alone. We found another pile of "stacked" rocks near by and left them alone also. Running out of daylight, we started heading back.

Old Dog, we were just hiking along a mountain ridge looking for anything of interest. It was just neat being out in the wilderness.

I really enjoy reading this section of the forum. Please tell me more. Could there be spanish signs around the Pinos Altos area?

FL, you weren't far from some extremely interesting things that actually do relate to one of the great mysteries of the southwest. Next time, follow the CD trail and work your way to the bridge that connects the Twin Sisters. Look around up there.

OP
OP
F

Fisher Lou

Greenie
Jul 20, 2009
Old River Winfree, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield, thanks. I have ordered a topo map of the area and hope to visit in October. I can't wait to get back out there again. This time I will take alot more photos.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread