middle of nowhere.

crow12c

Aug 8, 2009
for years I have walked by this very large rock that is litteraly in the middle of nowhere, there are no such stones anywhere else around here like it. it is rested in the woods along a creek, about 2-3 miles from a river, only bout half the rock is exsposed, rest is covered with dirt, it seems to be about 12-14' wide and 6-8' high. (that can be seen), I often wondered if anything was ever burried around it, it would be a great marker for such, what would be the best way to aproach my curiousity? I thought of using a probe, perhaps there are caches from many diffrent time lines under my feet.....

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
You know crow,...seems like you are thinking right. Guess i would look around from the big rock and look for other prominent trees or rocks. Then look for carvings...

I'm thinking the big rock might be too obvious...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look for and pay attention to rocks that look out of place. Up here, we have a lot that were deposited in strange places by glaciers. Some have just rolled down from way up on the mountain. Like you, I always thought they could be used as markers. I haven't found anything yet, but I keep looking.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I would go all around it in circles with a detector gradually getting farther away and then maybe try straight up hill. And down hill too, if something was dropped or buried by the rock gravity would move it down hill over time. Is there any evidence of human activity around there like trails, foundations, fence lines...that sort of thing? Good luck,

HH Charlie

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For thirty years my deer camp was right next to two very large rocks placed on top of one another...I often wondered why?... I recently found the answer....At the very tip of the upper rock were three very small file marks...between one fourth and one half inch long...above the center file mark was a hash mark... like the front sight of a pistol or rifle....Three feet away from this rock was buried a deep piece of iron...part of an old cast iron stove... sitting on top of the piece of metal was a small pointer rock... this pointer rock lined up with the hash mark above the file marks....On a hunch I followed the direction of the pointer rock...333 feet...I did this because of the three hash marks....At 335 feet (according to my gps) my detector went off....I have been on a "treasure" hunt ever since....Steve

Attachments

• pointer.jpg
    pointer.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 701

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stevesno, did you sight by the centerline of the triangular shape or along one side of the shape?

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Stevesno, did you sight by the centerline of the triangular shape or along one side of the shape?
In this instance I used the tip of the rock, but I was new and didnt know what I was doing.... it worked though....More often that not on other cut stone clues I use the edge, but not always, it depends on the bearing.....Steve

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
What an interesting story! Glad to hear that you found some really tiny carvings. Best of luck..I read it can be a wild and wooly ride :)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for answering my question, Stevesno. I've wondered about just how a pointer stone or triangular object is used. I mean, how does one decide on which direction it actually points. The old gun barrels and knives are pretty obvious. I was just wondering how you fine tune the direction the thick-bodied pointers are referring to.

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
stevesno said:
For thirty years my deer camp was right next to two very large rocks placed on top of one another...I often wondered why?... I recently found the answer....At the very tip of the upper rock were three very small file marks...between one fourth and one half inch long...above the center file mark was a hash mark... like the front sight of a pistol or rifle....Three feet away from this rock was buried a deep piece of iron...part of an old cast iron stove... sitting on top of the piece of metal was a small pointer rock... this pointer rock lined up with the hash mark above the file marks....On a hunch I followed the direction of the pointer rock...333 feet...I did this because of the three hash marks....At 335 feet (according to my gps) my detector went off....I have been on a "treasure" hunt ever since....Steve
OK--for us that have no clue---- I look at your your photo and have no idea what it is----- I dont see the large rocks, or the 3 file marks--how did you know to look 3 feet away and what is a pointer rock look like? What made you look 333 feet and not 300 feet. And if its not to much trouble to ask what did you find at 335 feet? If you decide to tell me email me please----- The hash mark, how did it look like the front sight--- and how did you line them up with the hash marks,Im sorry I dont mean to be nosy,but your short story is amazing to me --for 35 years something was there and all you had to do was take notice ----- ????????????????????
Thank you in advance-------
Mike Chesapeake va

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Steve,
The marks themselves told you to use the point instead of the side.
They told you to site dead center rather than any other way.
If you did this by chance ... "you chose wisely"

shaashbima

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
Depending on what you are looking for, you might consider looking on the side of the rock away from the weather. Any primitive people would look at such a place as a good camping place when travelling. You might find stone artifacts at the base of the rock on that side, perhaps buried down a distance...

It seems like most people here are looking for 'treasure' in the form of precious metals, etc, but it is much more lkely to find the remains of ancient camps, or even camps of men within current history.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
backitup83 said:
stevesno said:
OK--for us that have no clue---- I look at your your photo and have no idea what it is----- I dont see the large rocks, or the 3 file marks--how did you know to look 3 feet away and what is a pointer rock look like? What made you look 333 feet and not 300 feet. And if its not to much trouble to ask what did you find at 335 feet? If you decide to tell me email me please----- The hash mark, how did it look like the front sight--- and how did you line them up with the hash marks,Im sorry I dont mean to be nosy,but your short story is amazing to me --for 35 years something was there and all you had to do was take notice ----- ????????????????????
Mike Chesapeake va
Mike...I did not take a picture of the large rocks...I tried to take a picture of the three small hash marks but the did not turn out very well....Bottom line is that I knew that mother nature did not stack these rocks on top of one another....after looking over the rocks very thoroughly for any kind of markings I found the three hash marks...representing a gunsight....Old Dog is correct....The middle mark gave me direction....it so happened that the pointer rock that was on top of the piece of metal lined up with with middle hash mark....purposely. What I found after 335 feet was another piece of metal with numbers etched in it....Hope that this helps...Steve

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Yes that helped. thanks for the reply,,,
Mike

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
stevesno said:
backitup83 said:
stevesno said:
Mike Chesapeake va
Mike...I did not take a picture of the large rocks...I tried to take a picture of the three small hash marks but the did not turn out very well....Bottom line is that I knew that mother nature did not stack these rocks on top of one another....after looking over the rocks very thoroughly for any kind of markings I found the three hash marks...representing a gunsight....Old Dog is correct....The middle mark gave me direction....it so happened that the pointer rock that was on top of the piece of metal lined up with with middle hash mark....purposely. What I found after 335 feet was another piece of metal with numbers etched in it....Hope that this helps...Steve

another thing to notice here is
Don't move anything!
the slightest move can make a treasure a lost treasure.
Quicker than you think

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
Now!! That is something I would not of thought of- Thank you Old Dog- I will store that info away in some memory cells,, Im not anal about things being out of place, but my children will attest to they -have gotten in trouble more than once -just for something not being its its right spot, or it just didnt look right---
Thank you,,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread