What is this strange rock?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Here is a negative of your picture.
Could you elaborate on your observation.
I am not sure you have more than a natural formation. I may be wrong,
but I can't say as how I have seen anything here that would lead me to believe otherwise.

Maybe someone else can help.

Attachments

• 0c82aa8205.jpg
    0c82aa8205.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,226
OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
It's in the middle of a site with, like, 12 turtles. I thought the round hole was hollowed out, and I thought the carving was a snake or bird. Is picture 2 natural?

I thought the 2 different colored rocks meant one was stacked on top of the other. Also, there is a notch in the top. I thought it might even be an altar. Also, there are faces carved into the other side.

Though I read Kenworthy's books way back, I'm new at this. I expect any treasure to be gone because this is close to a big city, but I'm fascinated with the carvings.

And, I think I saw a sprung death trap. I'll try to post more pics later, but I'm pretty busy these days.

Gorgias

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
These are ones I have never seen before.

Attachments

• OilSign.jpg
    OilSign.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • anotherduck.jpg
    anotherduck.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Death.jpg
    Death.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,111
  • unkn.jpg
    unkn.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Heart.jpg
    Heart.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,061
  • ICP.jpg
    ICP.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,068
  • kidsgrafitti.jpg
    kidsgrafitti.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,072
  • upsidedownB.jpg
    upsidedownB.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • Ind1.jpg
    Ind1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Ind2.jpg
    Ind2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Ind3.jpg
    Ind3.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • ReadingBook.jpg
    ReadingBook.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,035
OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the books, the first is an oil sign. I have no idea what it is doing there.

The second is another "duck" according to stilldign.

The third, is that a death sign with the top changed into a skull (2 eyes and a nose).

The fourth? Sacred Geometry?

The fifth? A reversed MB?

6, 7, 8. ICP & Heart--kids' spraypaint graffiti?

9, 10, 11. Another Indentation, like the original with the duck.

The twelfth, a man reading? A preacher?

I'd appreciate interpretations, but I also wanted to share, as I'm rather new and am easily impressed.

If it is an accumulation room--what is exactly is it (the land owner reserving the royal 5th for the king), and what do I do next?

Gorgias

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hi gorgious. What spectacular pictures! How exciting to find that!

Now i am no expert but there are some basic things you need to decide...

1. Is this showing that there is something rather quite close by? Often called an omega monument. I see a lot of things that I speculate might mean that.

2. Is it more of a freeway road sign ... i believe often called alpha monuments... showing how to get here and there at a clover leaf. I see some of that too.

3. What is your purpose? I find a lot of pleasure in just following trails and learning the signs. If that is where you're at..look for faces, animal head, pointers and look the way they are looking. You will see another pointer for sure on one or more of them and there you go off down a trail to adventure and probably a mine or other interesting things along the way! :)

4. If another purpose you will want to study all resources available to you to learn more about how such things worked. A inexpensive start is to measure angles and distance. Read old threads here. Use the net! Buy books. Sit and ponder that formation for hours. There is a lot to be seen there imho. Definitely Spanish. What position are the animals in, what are they doing? Where are they looking. Draw conclusions from that **** Do not tell anyone the location.******* Get a two box detector. lol and a good shovel or two ;D Hope you find a trustworthy partner.

It may be that something is hidden close by here.

Remember i am no expert.

Also if you go out to take another look..the blue box with the yellow arrow..I wonder if there are seven bumps or indentations on what is marked? In one way it sort of looks like a turtle to me..but looks like a few other things too.

Also..what on earth is that indian(?) doing? Choking a padre? Making a smoke signal? Or hanging out laundry? lol

Inquiring minds want to know lol

DM

Attachments

• goergious0c82aa8205.jpg
    goergious0c82aa8205.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,040
  • gorgous2.jpg
    gorgous2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,031
OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, DM, for the fresh eye,

I'm blown away by what you found. While I would like to strike it rich with gold/silver/artifacts, I'm into the whole DaVinci Code/Secret Language/Intellectual Masturbation thing.

I think there must be something there. It's a big site. Over 100 statues/carvings. I found 2 other sites near and one destroyed by construction. (I garbage picked a turtle head, but I couldn't lift anything else.) I want to just wander the site for a long time. I own the few books in print and need to travel to a good library to copy the rare books. I have to work and write a book (unrelated), so my time on-site is limited. Perhaps, I'd like to write a book like Keys. I'd definitely like to be able to interpret like you guys.

I have a Bounty Hunter Detector. I'm sort of scared to set off the Death Traps, though, digging.

What exactly are the alpha and omega? I'm not exactly sure, although I've run across stuff from Kenbworthy's books, including the three trail humps.

Gorgias

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
if you found two other monument clusters of this type in terms of complexity and size not far..well it reminds me of a place i call monument row. Monuments lined up along a trail.

Possibly you have a major trail going on there.

Omega is generally accepted to be the almost end of trail so to speak. Final directions to final directional marks/figures that lead to the the item of interest or perhaps it just gives final directions to item of interest.

Alpha..i will step out on for some one else to explain as i am not 100% sure myself.

Lost Horse

Nov 3, 2008
Hi Gorgias
After a long day in the field I’m setting here in the hotel room bored
I couldn’t help myself
So I started looking over your photos
Of course you will have to confirm theses markers
To know for sure if there really there

Lost Horse

Attachments

• Death.jpg
    Death.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 949
  • Death 01.JPG
    Death 01.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 946
  • Death 02.jpg
    Death 02.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 950
  • Death 03.jpg
    Death 03.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 940
OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Desertmoon,

Thanks again for the help. Lots of time Kensworthy interprets something for us without telling us why. I'd love to get my eyes on those Spanish papers with the codes.

Rando, Definitley a possibilty. There are definitely some Hispanics around. But, there's an additional horizontal line on the oil mark.

Lost Horse, youre interpretation was impressive. Snake and Heart usually mean gold there, right? The other thing, is that a Bishop? I loved your king and queen.

This turtle is on the back of that rock.

So, I'm thinking now, something is hidden, like a hole, under one of those giant boulders.

Gorgias

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 941
OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Faces

Attachments

• GEDC0156.jpg
    GEDC0156.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 906
  • GEDC0157.jpg
    GEDC0157.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 901
  • GEDC0216.jpg
    GEDC0216.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 895

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Gorgias,
Look to the right of your heart.
There is something else there.

Worth a second look rather than a guess later.

Attachments

• Heart.jpg
    Heart.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 888
  • Heart.jpg
    Heart.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 954

shaashbima

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
Strange rock? This is a natural formation commonly known as caprock formations or 'fairy chimneys' in other areas. They can be found in many places around the southwest. check out: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1003347983014976276VSjBkXxNUs
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1003348026014976276iYWpIKWISS
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1003347577014976276xxXAGydKrJ
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1003347684014976276MFhcZLUbgK
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1003348150014976276dTQlSZHdgL
Google 'fairy chimneys' images for other pics.

HOWEVER. having said that, I have to point out that they make a very obvious and visible site on which to record information. The difficulty lies in separating the legitimate historical marks from the current day grafitti

It might be a good idea to consider where your rock is. Those eaily accessible to day hikers in parks etc often have modern grafitti--even sometimes made to look like older markings.

You might want to consider wher the stone is to verifiy authenticity of old markings.

shaashbima

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
Nor am I ruling out the possibility that a naturally occurring formation was modified for a specific purpose. The stone is usually rather soft and it is easy for a natural formation to be carved or chipped away to create a face, animal or other image

Just be aware that the rock itself is a product of wind and blowing sand etc.

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
On a hill near here, there are, like, 5 more of them. I read Old Dog once say they are trailmarkers. I guess some kind of shadow sign based on the hole. I actually thought it was a mine shrine, but I have no evidence other than the shape. (It looks like they could put a corss statue inside.) Also, there are several carvings on the sides and roof, but the niche is a little high for me to comfortably fall into.

Gorgias

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread