Need assistance-remote canyon w Spanish rock signs..PICS

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Good to see you posting again sd.

Molossus..

You know if those angles are sharp..I guess I would be getting out the compass and measuring stick in this area just to see what happens.

And take a closer look at the circled area. Sort of looks like a sun from here.

Attachments

• measure.jpg
    measure.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,481

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Ohio so I have not had much experience but love to look at the trail signs. I found a silver mines in KY that had Spanish writting and a rock map that led me to the mines. I am curious as to the heart/turtle...since the turtle is looking up does a distant rim/object become sighted when looking over the space between the humps in the heart? If you squat down and look upwards or down does anything come into view? Just a thought.

Attachments

• Elipe on rock.jpg
    Elipe on rock.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,292
  • Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,343
  • Elipe on rock.jpg
    Elipe on rock.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,282

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
curtis i lightened up the first pic and turned it up side down
i think some is graffiti, not sure about the rest
the up side down in blue, is there a way to stand on the rock
and carve it from that point
this thread has a lot of info
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,169053.0.html

Attachments

• elipe.jpg
    elipe.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Elipe_on_rock[1].jpg
    Elipe_on_rock[1].jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,246
  • elipe upsidedown.JPG
    elipe upsidedown.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,242

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the photo help CW!

Been gone, had rotator cuff surgery but back and ready to do some more research.

I think this is Spanish in origin, a guy found several very old Spanish coins in this area in the early 1900s. This is in north eastern Kentucky. Some people try to say the Spanish were not in KY! Funny, I keep finding al sorts of references to them being there!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Curtis,
Glad you are on the mend.
Don't let people kid you,
I have pics of Spanish signs as far north as Canada /Alaska border.
Those guys were like ants, they went everywhere.

Nov 12, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me this is similar to the master maps found in the Superstitions that you should look very closely and you will find them replicated on the terrain. Very important find. Stake a claim and start digging once you find the items marked on the ground the cliffs and especially in crevices.

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
I'm not very experienced in this matter but that pic of the "turtle crawling over the broken heart" looks way more like a horse that is resting, or asleep. I would pay very close attention to the head and the tail and any references to a horse nearby or futher down your route.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
I would lean more towards civil war chivalry or something following. Area may have been inherited by outlaws at one time or the other. I'm sure there is something going on with the place out of Native lore.

If that flat vertical stone has 8 degrees scribed on it, or 8 with a smaller circle next to it, most probably the span used in degrees at the infield triangle; line up corners 3 and 2, aim and veer away 8 degrees to scope the mine and if such a varmint exists there, it will be quite close in using a single digit rather than the more common spread centering somewhere between two digits. Close proximity. Number 1 represents the infield apex or the number one marker to look for first.

OP
OP
molossus

molossus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2009
nowhere and everywhere in southwest US
Detector(s) used
na
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Its been awhile since I posted anything additional. I made it back for a quick trip before
last winter, but life goes on. I took a promotion at work which ate up the winter months & It just gets too hot in the summer to spend all day at this canyon/site. So now fall is approaching, days are great to be out all day in. Snakes are everywhere :hello2: on hills and canyons as they prepare to go down for hibernation, so even if I find no additional trial or sign I can just enjoy a day photographing and seeing them.

To bring up to speed with some additional thoughts I mulled over the past year and the last quick trips photos..

The 'Steed'.
100_1861.jpg
Is that maybe a warning to keep livestock out and do not ride up?? There is no way to get a horse out of this the main canyon as its beginning starts with a 6 ft water slicked waterfall/drop. This canyon, in a rain is dangerous, easily wiping out the Spainards herds and stranding them without beast of labor. The 'mired Steed' is positioned at the fork up the most dangerous canyon. The alternate canyon is much safer as its drainage is opposite the mountain gravity feed and possesses routes up onto the rim. This branch/route also possesses the bear head and partial wall. OD/LH.. have you guys or anyone ever seen a sign of livestock danger used as such??

On my families quick second trip back we found some additional potential signs. Lend your insight please.

Snail? Tts big as there is a 40" snake hook and dog in front of it for reference. It sits on the west slope of the canyon bottom- due south of the "mired Steed" You can see the Steed rock as you look north from the Snail. The snail is headed towards the river, and trust me its a long way still to walk there.
100_1906.jpg

Across the floor just east of the Snail is some areas that look as though they have bee turned up or at one time the strata was moved. IDK if it is just a fast erosion spot or not.. See pics let me know your ideas.
100_1913.jpg

additionals
100_1909.jpg

100_1908.jpg

As one traverses on down the canyon roughly 3/4 mile from the Steed/Snail junction my wife looked up on to the rim and saw an Eagle/Falcon- wings spread in flight up canyon. ?
100_1911.jpg

Im attaching a rough and vague sketch of the layout of trial and spots so all can understand if it helps. I did not include the eagle or hillside across from the snail on this map.
canyonesketch.jpg

So that was our day. I will be happy to take any ideas and input. PLanning to go back over there in the next few weeks. I spent all year trying but time flies.

Oh, after visiting this spot, we headed over towards a friends farther south. While there we were checking out a hillside of his and found the following. Always makes my day to find a rattlesnake :icon_thumleft: :o even a humdrum diamondback. A nice sized one and its good to know he (yes its a male) and others are safe from needless persecution on my friends land.

100_1916.jpg

100_1917.jpg

He was content to curl up under a bush and I left him there.
100_1920.jpg

Also on this same hillside I was walking up thru the rocks I see this peeking out at me.

100_1914.jpg

more slightly closer
100_1915.jpg

I hope you all enjoy this follow up. Sorry for the delay in updating post. Please let me know any feedback.
Molossus

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
I had a Eagles head sticking out of a bluff, I went to the other side and found the other part of a trail, more information was found below the bluff below the head , such as a map laid out using small 3 mm on top of a egg shaped boulder. Best of Luck

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
These pix are probably out of sequence...
The most notable eye catcher I saw in the group was this owl.

Attachments

• 100_1913.jpg
    100_1913.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 524

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello Thom, The rocks on edge may be property lines, seems that every site has one, does anyone out there know how Old Mexico's property lines are laid out, I think they each have a Governor of sorts, each has a name, does each one have a division of property within, what size is it, Just fishing in the dark, Thanks everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread