molossus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2009
nowhere and everywhere in southwest US
Detector(s) used
na
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All. I need the experience of the wise here at Tnet..those specific in sign. Im new to this whole scene, less then 1 month. I have spent years in the wilderness chasing snakes & other things, (herpetology), science and photography wise. My wifes friend visited last year and sparked an interest in lost treasures, but until I stumbled upon this site, I had never given much thought to the oddities I had found. Since finding TNet I began reading on the 'marks/signs' at which point realizing I have found many over the years. Today I went back to a canyon I know of with the family and followed. I photographed the trek and its information to share for additional information.. I know I am missing things here.
Some background..I live in the Southwest all which around me was originally a Spanish claim. The canyon runs to a river which in turn empties into another very prominent waterway. It involves a 2 hr drive in a 4WD vehicle to reach its beginning, I have never tried to access it from the river side..but Im sure it would take another hour. This canyon Im 'sharing' is limestone and conglomerate rock.. Making things hard to read as fissure are very fitted due to natural erosion. The conglomerate is not permanent either and allows wear on what may have once been clean chipped edges. Making some signs I believe I have possible I hope. I will take you thru todays journey as found and ask for your pointers..
Day started well found this little one as we drove the 2 hrs into where we park..
100_1831.jpg

Cute little gopher snake..the cuter ones have rattles in my opinion.. yet I digress so on I go.

As we walk about 20 minutes down the western edge of the canyon rim we come to the first 'oddity' I recalled when I read about jesuit signs. This rock was named 'manhead' by my kids the first time they saw it 2yrs ago. It sits at a junction where another canyon joins the primary from the east.. as the primary continues to run South. The man head faces south as well...but after looking at picture I wonder if that not a dark skull on the back of his head that you see as you continue walking toward the other marks.. Could it be a warning?
100_1832.jpg

He sits with additional rock behind which I believe the southern on points to a hole in the eastern canyon wall
100_1834.jpg

100_1835.jpg

"Manhead" has an adornment but I dont know if it means anything.. maybe a bear head on the one stone
100_1833.jpg

Hear is a poor picture looking back up canyon at 'manhead'.. sorry for the flooding of light. If I can I will adjust later..
100_1837.jpg

Continuing down the canyon we next came to this..South pointing stack with a shadow head!!
100_1842.jpg

which lead to this 'oddity' there was no possible way for erosion to produce this..
100_1843.jpg

This rock has been placed on edge.. this photo was the original bottom side of the rock.
Here is the top side.. before it was placed on edge to point South
100_1844.jpg

So now I have two of what I consider defiante signs.. ready for the next? approx. 70ft South
100_1845.jpg

Now just to the side of the rock stack was this..I seemed to angular to be water wear
100_1846.jpg

But the angle corner pointed to this .... STACK 2!!!
100_1847.jpg

Stack2 from above
100_1848.jpg

Now we are excited.. and as we sit looking and talking just another 70ft or so away we see this rock...another on end placement
100_1849.jpg

100_1850.jpg

So I go over the edge and look over to find these.. Turtle above face..
100_1851.jpg

Do you see it? A better photo....
100_1852.jpg

The turtle and face are in a cut back bend on the rim of the rock.. later you will see from the canyon floor.. but after walking around the bend I took this picture looking back across at the last 4 Signs.. You can easily see them however..the upended pointer (just above the turtle & face) is hidden behind the tree.
100_1853.jpg

As we stand talking and looking back my wife sees this mark.. it was hard to get a photo of it but it looks like a "B" or a '3' with long arms
100_1855.jpg

100_1854.jpg

This mark lay on the side of rock on the south side of the Bend with all the stone signs..?? Any ideas??

At this point another canyon comes in from the west and joins the primary one we are walking. It creates a sheer point at which one has to backtrack the new canyon to where the face allows descent to the canyon floor. At this point you have two choices..A)continue up the opposite side of the new canyon and then follow back to the primary rim. B)take the canyon floor out.

However before we choose I take a picture off the sheer point along the main canyon..I believe it is a buried broken half heart with a turtle crawling up. Does this mean a DT below the route to the treasure? why is the turtle crawling over the busted heart?
100_1860.jpg

100_1861.jpg

I will come back to this.. so in order to continue on we hike back up the secondary canyon. Now as we walk looking for a route down I look along the rim we are walking and see this scene..
100_1863.jpg

Bear head... closer
100_1862.jpg

Not more then 5 ft past this sculpture was a route which allowed access to the floor... coincidence.. what weird is that once you came up to the bear it was made from two rocks 10 inches apart that looked nothing like a bear unless viewed from down canyon as you hiked back from the sheer point.

This accessory canyon is much wetter and has more growth in its bottom.. As we hike I split up to run the lower wall edge but end up on a secondary platform.. As I walk the face looking for both snakes and signs I come upon this. I call them a "window" but I think there is another name for them..if there is fill me in..
100_1866.jpg

And when I look thru is another bear head....
100_1865.jpg

100_1864.jpg

Going around to below the 'bearhead' I see this.. looks like major disturbance and an old built wall...
100_1867.jpg

100_1868.jpg

A large bush grew in front of it making access hard. Here is another from the other side
100_1869.jpg

Here is a picture of the bush, botany has never been a strong point for me..doesnt look like anything else I saw in the canyon. very flesh on stem..picture sucks.
100_1871.jpg

Im hoping if I go back in the winter it will be easier to see into the bush mess and get stuff out of the way.
At this point we begin to work out way out onto the canyon floor. I will pick up with where the side canyon joins the primary.. Looking up and down the canyon one sees a turtle on the rim? My wife saw it before me. I didnt have time to walk past it and look up canyon at it to see if it was more visible from the river end..
100_1872.jpg

We were directly below the sheer point.. I walk to the broken half heart with turtle from earlier.. here are pictures from ground level.
100_1873.jpg

Thats one of the dogs which keep kids safe from the mountain lions and bears in the area..sorry she got in there. Below is a picture from the south view of the turtle and heart.. makes purposeful placement seem definate I hope.
100_1874.jpg

Walking up the canyon looking up toward the rim we saw this.. It was not apparent to Us from the rim edge..It is just south of the 'bend' marked by all the rim signs earlier
100_1877.jpg

The next few are as you approach the 'bend' I will post as I dont knowif Im missing something..
100_1879.jpg

100_1880.jpg

In this picture you can see the rim Markers/signs from the canyon floor!! See the on end marker, which sat on edge above the 'turtle above face' and the to right of that one of the rock stacks...
100_1876.jpg

Here is the 'bend' and its walls..
100_1881.jpg

100_1886.jpg

100_1885.jpg

I believe there is a skull face on that wall.. here is a close up of it...
100_1884.jpg

Last one of the 'bend' inlet with all the signs looking at it from northside canyon floor
100_1888.jpg

We walked out from here. We will be back for sure..
Oh.. I found this rock on the canyon floor by 'manhead'. I think it looks like a duckhead.. its beak points at 'manhead'..
100_1889.jpg

So members thats my adventure today.. Im open to whatever advice, input, or sage wisdom you all have in helping me solve this riddle. It seems bears figure prominately into the signs here..is that a common thing for certain animals to be repeticious? I know turtles and faces are common but thats it..like I said Im new to this..
Not that you guys may care but I only saw one other snake to day, just a plain old coachwhip. My life gets better and better, now to just get rid of my job and spend the rest of my life chasing snakes and treasure in the desert..

Molossus

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Firstly, welcome to TNET amigo!

Secondly, I'm to tongue tied to get it all out after viewing those awesome pics. Well done, they blew me away. :hello2:

I'm a bit of an amateur as well, but have been around here for awhile viewing and reading and absorbing what the pro's have to offer. So I can tell you a couple things off the bat, but then I'll let someone else take over as I feel there is a lot going on here. (ie. to much for me to tackle LOL)

The "window" you refered to is called a "hoyo". They are personally one of my favorite signs and can have a multitude of meanings and purposes. Everything from simply pointing out a direction of travel to even the shape of the hoyo giving meaning while at the same time pointing to travel/the next sign/marker etc.

The first bear head photo you posted almost jumped out and bit me. That thing looks awesome!!! Exact meaning of bear heads I'll leave to someone else.

The turtle crawling over the broken heart. Personally I don't thing he is crawling over a broken heart or anything else. That is happenstance. I think it is a turtle, but I think he is either pointing out a direction or more honestly I think he is in that postion because he is laying eggs!! Again, I'm better off letting someelse get into what all that means (if I'm right).

All in all, I see in these pics you have a multitude of "natural things" in "unnatural places"; all good indicators. One thing to remember (hopefully you read or caught how important "shadow signs" are in the various posts here. They are designed to only be seen from certain angles at certain times of the day before the sun moves and the sign is lost. So try to take your pics roughly between 11 - 2pm.

Again, I think I saw so much going on in all the great pics that I'd better let "someone else" *cough cough* take over from here. thanks again for posting !

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Wow! What a fine day and a fine job of it you have done. You and your wife have enough experience to be able to distinguish natural from "odd" looking rocks and that is a great start!. You followed a trail.for sure.. maybe not to the end? Not enough experience to know but it seems clear at least a campsite should be close by. The one on edge rock that you looked over and saw the turtle..that looks like a gator head to me.

You may wonder why so obvious for a campsite? Look down and see the water..why markers?
But i too have seen numerous signs in or very very close to an obvious campsite.

I've seen a fair number of bears - full bodies, profiled, mouth a roaring, mouths closed, ears up, ears back yes and repeating. They probably all mean something slightly different but to me every single one of them mean danger..manmade or other sorts of danger. Opinions may vary on this by the way.

It will take quite a while to go through all your pics..but one i wanted to mention was this...

One idea of mine is that small rocks like the on placed in front of it is used only to create an illusion, it will light, up or throw shadows and this is it main purpose though it might have secondary purpose. In this case the stone was placed there rather than carving out the rock behind it. I'm no expert and this is just my speculation.

It looks like a lot of things..but when it settles down looks like a tired horse almost laid down..or possibly mired in mud. See the haunch/upper leg line line on the rear? And the curved downward neck and head on the other end?

When i say it settles down..lately i look at something like that and it is like a slot machine i guess...the visions and versions and identification of it rapidly flow across my mind,, repeating..changing slightly..eventually it slows down and my vision seems to settle on one or two possibilities. For the first year it did not work that way. Rocks looked only like one thing.

Anyway..imho I think that every thing you pointed out as significant IS significant! More comments to come to over the next week or so.

Next steps? Study those pics!

Its a whole new world when you realize how marked up the canyons and mountains are :)

DM

Attachments

• 100_1860re.jpg
    100_1860re.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,237

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
It has been a long day for me with a lot left to do,
I will sneak a small comment in and say... Welcome and Bravo.
Good eye,
How many of us have seen a monument change as we approach it?
I agree with Kim, from a distance it is a floundering steed.
As you approach it changes to the bow of the lobes of a heart.
When a heart points often times people who don't know better will use the point of the heart as a pointer. however if you look at the lobes as a pulled bow and the point holding the arrow.
Follow the flight of the arrow.

The turtle confirms.

Thom

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum molossus and may I say, with all due respect.........DAMN you have a good eye. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The folks with the most knowledge and experience with trail signs and markers are Old Dog, rangler, and desertmoons. There are a couple more folks, but these 3 seem to have "in the field" knowledge and not just armchair research. They will not steer you wrong.........in my never humble opinion. ;D

One more thing. There are a few folks who do nothing but question your abilities and knowledge without adding anything to the "hunt". It won't take you long to figure out who they are and the "ignore" button will help you keep your thoughts clear. The 3 folks I named above are very trustworthy from everything I've read and monitored on this forum. Rebel-KGC is another one. Personally, I've gotten too fat and lazy to go into the field, but I do love to learn about trail signs and markers. The explorers and miners of old were extraordinary folks who performed some amazing tasks.

Good hunting and good luck.

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm new at this, and I'm used to working with hogher-res photpps. But, I found some things in one of your pics.

Also, I thought at first sight your heart-turtloe was an amazing elephant.

Gorgias

Attachments

• tnet.jpg
    tnet.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,901

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
What the!?!?! A floundering steed??? That's a new one to me. Aw man, I thought I really nailed one there... :icon_scratch:

Oh well, thats why I said better wait for someone else *cough cough* lol

feather

Jul 29, 2009
Wow! I'm stunned. Great posting - I enjoyed whole presentation. Left me green with envy of course but full of admiration. Will keep my eye on this one to see how it unravels.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
One must remember to not confuse quantity with quality :) Appreciate the kind words shortstack..however I am no expert by any means and one should always draw their own conclusions. I have never found the thing many people look for. I'm not a pro .I post speculation or what I have seen in my travels. It should not be relied on as definitive truth by any means. I have no special knowledge.

So many have posted useful information..i am not able to list them all. However, i am quite fond of LostHorse's posts for many reasons.

Best Regards
DM

OP
OP
molossus

molossus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
na
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to say welcome and then look and offer.. I have been busy since I put these up however I did take a moment to review my photos.

Gorgias..
I went back to the photo of the skull face. I had taken my old photo editor off my computer ( I will have to put back on) but using the generic photo editor on phbucket I reviewed this specific photo. Much of the rock in this area is layered such as to present many possiblities in being 'intentional', much of my walk time involved sitting and breaking down processes of erosion, against possible wear pattern to rock. I found one item in the picture which I was unable to attribute to wear/erosion. Its on the underside of a overhang.
Here is what I found after sitting and reviewing..after I saw it I dont know how it didnt jump out in the first photo. I cropped to make it more apparent in this post
100_1884-1.jpg

HEART.. in the original photo it is in the lower left corner..
It would only be visible from below or on the canyon floor..though I think a person would have to climb up to see it, were it not for being able to zoom with the camera.
I sat a pondered the area as for being a potential campsite. Water is not a constant here, only being available when rains come down from a nearby mountain. I have only found standing water once though I have not dug below 2 ft in the canyon floor. As for fortitude at this specific spot which the markers seem to be congregated around, I cannot find it being safe for most regards.. The horses and animals would be stuck on the canyon floors..suseptible to flash flood or predation..The people if they were on the ledge would be safe from flash flood however completely open to ambush from above. There is no apparent forms of cover up there other then possible tents the may have erected. Mountain lions could easily leapt down from the rim, as well as the local American Indian tribes, which would have not had any qualms of taking care of encroaching spainards. Firing arrows or firearms down onto them.
I see the steed which was pointed out as well. What would it represent? Its rump is on the north end, its head facing South. In the bow and arrow format its arrow flight as well would be Southbound too. This is in the direction of the river.. I do know that there is yet another rock stack further down the western rim of this canyon from a prior walk last year..
Keep it coming everyone.. Thank You
Molossus

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
When you go back to your canyon...
Instead of following the trail on the top
try climbing down into the bottom

You will find another trail,
one laid out just as neetly as the one on top only more concealed.
It goes the same directionas the one on top.
As a matter of fact most of these pointers were made to be followed from the bottom.
following these trails will give you an idea as to how to find the more intricate cache trails.
The cache trails lead to camp sites where overnight stashes were made
They used treasure signs to mark these caches, sometimes they are still there.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've taken another look at that "skeleton" face and I don't think it really IS a skeleton. I think that it began as a full-face sculpture of a man's face. If you look at the area of the nose and upper lip; as well as the forehead, you can see how erosion has removed large chunks of the sculpture. That heart means theres a treasure of gold somewhere, but I don't know what the significance is of the heart being upside down. Unless it's pointed end is being use to point to the upper trail as the one to follow.

Another of your photos shows a barely readable "3" and a muleshoe. Kenworthy's book says that the mule shoe was a trail marker for trails into and out of the cache area. A very similar shape was used to represent a mine shaft. Also, that "3" may not be a number, but could be a rounded capital "E" which means different things. I know that sounds pretty sketchy, but it's spot information I just picked out of Kenworthy's book, TREASURE Signs, Symbols, Shadow & Sun Signs.

feather

Jul 29, 2009
Molossus: I find the area near Hoyo (window) below 'bear head' where "major disturbance + old built wall" are, a major place of interest. To me, it could be area of settlement. If you get the chance, pay more attention to detail around that area it just might produce something.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
feather said:
Molossus: I find the area near Hoyo (window) below 'bear head' where "major disturbance + old built wall" are, a major place of interest. To me, it could be area of settlement. If you get the chance, pay more attention to detail around that area it just might produce something.

An area of settlement would be in the bottom of the canyon.
This would especially include an area large enough to farm.
Dwellings would not be built in the canyon on the walls.

What you may have here is hastily made fortification for defense,
or to protect a small camp from prevailing winds.
If you suspect a settlement watch for these type of fortifications to surround the area,
As well as a large flat stone on the circumference somewhere to have a map detailing the area that is settled.

I have only ever seen one of these.
It is in the Escalante canyon.
The map of the settlement is carved on a large flat stone half way up the canyon wall
In detail it outlines the entire canyon floor with a finer line surrounding it showing all the fortifications surrounding it.

Desendants of the setlers are still in the valley on this property.

OP
OP
molossus

molossus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
na
Primary Interest:
Other
OD,
On a larger canyon I would concur, however not this one.. It is much narrower than it appears. My son could throw rocks across the width in many places but it was still 80 ft to the bottom. No one in there right mind and familiar with desert storms and deep canyons near mountains would try to place a settlement down there. It would be scary to camp in there, if storms were at all possible.. Much to narrow and high walled.. a death trap in a storm. No good farm land either all limstone bedrock or sand silt for most part. The secondary shelves would offer a safe campsite from flooding..though open exposure as I stated earlier. Rain washes it clean to the river but sediment begins to build up towards south end as it widens and the basin spreads. The hills are still fairly steep but do offer 'soil'. I will next time follow further down to see what is in bottom at that end..I have never been to the end, only as far as the central portion which is still wide and narrow. I can walk into this canyon from where it starts as a water run off about 10ft wide.. It quickly drops 6 ft then increases steadily with walls rising to 18ft and 30 then 50 and so forth.. Its deepens quickly and is very narrow across the bottom. At its beginning my kids look for petrified shells in the bottom bedrock..
Feather..OD..The wall type structure would serve as a fortification I agree. animals have since used it to bed down in in theone photo you can see where they have layed int here and kept it from getting choked with weeds. I actuallly wonder if it is a collapsed entry under all the vegetation and rocks..
Molossus

minetres

Mar 13, 2008
You are indeed in a site and the and the mine or treasure is hidden near by. The treasure may have already been removed the void under that on rock may have been the hiding place. The site is marked well some one spent alot of time there. From what I have seen the bear means there is a cave and I think I saw two Bear faces in the pictures even though they were subtle. Look at where the animals and faces are looking, get more pictures from diffrent directions, and try to place every thing on your topo. Look in the bottom of the wash notice what you see going up and comming down. This adventure may take some time but you will come to a conclusion and hopfully find a nice stash or rich mine. The rock looks like conglomerate an old lake or river bed with deposits of gold in beded in spots. If you have a good metal detector take it along.

Good luck
Minetres

OP
OP
molossus

molossus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
na
Primary Interest:
Other
I took a moment after work to review a photo. I picked the one taken down canyon of 'manhead' looking upward from where we came. it was flooded in the original and while playing to tone it down I noticed a strange mark..Dont know if it is legitimate or not so figured I would let you all see..
I first saw it using an Inversion effect, but then found that a 'thermal' effect further brought out this strange design.. I did not see it while standing there in bright sunlight takingg the photo.
100_1837-1-1.jpg

Im not familiar with scripts so thought maybe some of you on here would have any ideas as to meaning or origin..
Thanks.

shaashbima

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
I was just reading over the posts again. When I looked at your thermal imaging pic it reminded me of one I had seen on another topic here. The topic: Spanish monument 6 ft high with a treasure map on it: posted by Sabe six, has a very similar mark on the very first picture. Check it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread