Church Sign

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
cw0909 said:
in pic from post #15, with the yellow marker,looks like someone survyed for some reason,
at least it looks like a cap set .....

It'd be nice to know that that thing is and what, if anything, is marked on it. It would be highly unusual for a land surveyor to set a point horizontally into a rock face as shown in the picture. If the surveyed point's location fell onto the rock face, or in a pond, or in any other difficult or inaccessible location, the surveyor would set a 'witness corner'. This is a normal looking point (such as a rebar and cap) whose location is offset from the true location and described on the Legal Description as 'witness corner (WC), 10 feet east' or somesuch. The carving above is much more interesting.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Springfield said:
cw0909 said:
in pic from post #15, with the yellow marker,looks like someone survyed for some reason,
at least it looks like a cap set .....

It'd be nice to know that that thing is and what, if anything, is marked on it. It would be highly unusual for a land surveyor to set a point horizontally into a rock face as shown in the picture. If the surveyed point's location fell onto the rock face, or in a pond, or in any other difficult or inaccessible location, the surveyor would set a 'witness corner'. This is a normal looking point (such as a rebar and cap) whose location is offset from the true location and described on the Legal Description as 'witness corner (WC), 10 feet east' or somesuch. The carving above is much more interesting.

mine says
P.O.B.
5/8' REBAR CAP (SET) ON
STEEP ROAD BANK
---------------------------------------
maybe his is too he said
Now, this sign isn't very far off the side of a dirt road

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
mjido have been playing with the rock with the notch
i turned it, and you can see some things, but what
i dont understand is why would, someone carve the stuff
this way, it has to have some kind of lets say super meaning
for lack of a better word description

Attachments

• mjido rock a.jpg
    mjido rock a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 558

okey dokey

Mar 23, 2009
Muskogee
I have a survey background and I will have to agree with Springfield on this one. It is highly unlikely for a cap to be set horizontal instead of vertical. Spikes and nails are often put into trees and rocks to mark a point with the elevation of the spike or nail being a bench mark. "The "P.O.B." stands for "Point of Beginning".

okey dokey

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois
read in one book that the+ sign has a value of 2, a cross-hair sign inside a small circle equals 4, maybe look to the left since there is a small hole on left side of cross. 4 varas etc. just guess, brent

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois
what is on the other side of scan0004?,it kind of looks like the 1st two holes are two men staring at each other, the third hole looks like irish wolf hound. left to right. thanks brent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread