Pioneer scribble or something ELSE? (pics of find updated)

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Re: Pioneer scribble or something ELSE?

mannings,if you read ''shadow of the sentinel'' remember what bob brewer said about the box. while he and his wife were out hunting, he was looking for signs while she was detecting. she, finding iron scraps calls his attention to it. they follow on and a large signal turns out to be a lid from strong box. next large signal, they dig up the box which was turned upside down. he had knowledge of that trick. the trick was that if the finder found the empty box-- awww he-- its gone, may as well give up.
they continued to dig and began to get a signal again. at five (5) feet they find a kettle full of gold coins. kgc boys are full of tricks. maybe your box is there to discourage you??????? next, that G could stand for ( ELOIE ) . look for an I on there too.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RockHopper2 said:
Mannings, try to find out when plywood was first used, you can date your find, maybe. Also I once found a carved G, the bar pointed to the next sign. RH2
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/History_of_Plywood.html
"The dovetail joint probably pre-dates written history. Some of the earliest known examples of the dovetail joint are in furniture entombed with mummies dating from First Dynasty of ancient Egypt, as well the tombs of Chinese emperors."

Plywood was invented during the Second World War but it was primarily used to build PT boats and landing craft for the military. After the war they began using plywood for residential construction and furniture but by the end of the 1940's, there was a severe shortage of lumber suitable for making plywood. Particleboard was invented in 1950 as a substitute for plywood, but it didn't receive much public attention at first."

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

^^^ Based on this, I'd say it's "3" irrelevant.

Thanks Mike

Mannings

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

BTW, is this a drill hole, y' think???

(It's NOT on a flat rock but on a small'ish cliff face)

Attachments

• drill hole.jpg
    drill hole.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,912

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Where are you laocated i think i saw something similar in colorado springs Garden of the gods park????

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since it is on a vertical face one could lean toward drill hole. However, I feel that reaching above ones head, or even chest high, to make a hole that size to gets one point across is a bit far fetched. Unless of course that hole needed to be seen from a distance. Is it due W or SE from the compass point?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Blind.In.Texas said:
Since it is on a vertical face one could lean toward drill hole. However, I feel that reaching above ones head, or even chest high, to make a hole that size to gets one point across is a bit far fetched. Unless of course that hole needed to be seen from a distance. Is it due W or SE from the compass point?

Unless you are sitting on horseback.

Mannings,
Get a true measurement of depth and width in CM.
Feel around the edge of the hole for notches.
The notch will be the directional.
Depth X Width in CM = feet of travel
Look for more drill holes.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer

I have seen old upright pianos made in the late 1800's that used veneered wood. It looks a lot like plywood. If it becomes wet repeatedly it can separate. The larger hole appears to be a "drill hole".....if there is a small notch or line on one side, that may be your direction.

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

I have looked "all over" for drill holes. I tend to think the pic I posted is not a drill hole, but I'm a noob so ...

Thom: I'll measure and share.
Mike: The pic is due N from the panel.

Another question. How far away should one expect is "too far" to find the drill holes from the panel???

Thanks everybody, this is fun! :)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mannings said:
I have looked "all over" for drill holes. I tend to think the pic I posted is not a drill hole, but I'm a noob so ...

Thom: I'll measure and share.
Mike: The pic is due N from the panel.

Another question. How far away should one expect is "too far" to find the drill holes from the panel???

Thanks everybody, this is fun! :)
A possibility: the locations, as represented by the panel, may actually need to be plotted starting at the drill hole. You asked "how far is too far". The only limits I can think of will be the location of the goods and where the marker maker decided to factor in a mark. At least you will have an idea of relative distance.

How far is it from the N heading indicator to the drill hole and would ALL three be in-line? Does the distance from the drill hole to the map (in feet or yards) match the distance from the N indicator to the 'I' dot (in inches or centimeters)? Since that hole is due N of the panel, it may be the point at which you begin your search W and SE for the cache markers!! It may also take you a long way. You already know there should be something near the river or stream bed.

GL!!!
mannings%20mod4.jpg

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

Mike,

N is actually the opposite direction (to the "right" of the panel). I'm not sure what you mean by all "3" in line? As far as how far, I'd guess about 400 yards to the "drill hole."

M

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mannings said:
Mike,

N is actually the opposite direction (to the "right" of the panel). I'm not sure what you mean by all "3" in line? As far as how far, I'd guess about 400 yards to the "drill hole."

M
I don't know how I got mix up into the left is N thing :dontknow: Doesn't really matter though. Is the dot right of the 'I', the N indicator line, and the drill hole in a straight line? Can you see the cliff face, with the drill hole, from the panel?

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

I would say they are on a straight line with 90% certainty. Yes, you can see the drill hole from the panel.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mannings said:
I would say they are on a straight line with 90% certainty. Yes, you can see the drill hole from the panel.
Nice. How far is that river or stream bed from the panel? Also, continuing N may lead you to another drill hole. If it does, I think the direction to search will be S of the panel and you would be looking for another drill hole or marker that would be represented by the dot to the right if the 'I'. To me, finding TWO drill holes, in line and N of the panel, would indicate that you are following the trail N and away from the target area. I think the drill holes should lead you TO the panel for information regarding the next marker. The next marker could be a drill hole. If it is, I think it would be time to search the E and NW.

Just throwing out ideas. I'll be quiet now :laughing7:

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

The stream is approx 300 yards from panel, to the W. (Standing to "read" the panel, it is directly beyond.)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

If these guys were being persued they would have kept the stream close.
In this kind of country the stream is the only place to conceal yourself by not leaving tracks.

If this is concealed here it isn't far.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mannings said:
The stream is approx 300 yards from panel, to the W. (Standing to "read" the panel, it is directly beyond.)
Heading for bed. G' nite all.

Lay a compass in the middle of those two circles. For the W triangle, my thought is to line up the sight wire with the leftmost dot. Write that heading in your book and start walking. If you can see ANY of the surrounding terrain, before you leave, the most distant obstacle you can see will be the one you walk to as a point of reference.

This might be useful in certain areas: http://gis.utah.gov/

GL and good night.

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

A couple more pics from the day. This one is NE of the panel about 400 yards. The two rock "walls" are pictured from standing on the compass *looking" rock.

Attachments

• new compass.jpg
    new compass.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,812
  • rockwallleft.jpg
    rockwallleft.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1,822
  • rockwallright.jpg
    rockwallright.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,810

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread