Weird Huh? An on a tree..

gertie

Greenie
Apr 8, 2010
This mark was found on an oak tree in south Arkansas. The tree is about 175 years old. The mark is about 17 feet high. I can't see any other marks though I have not checked the saddle of the tree. The tree is near a cemetery. I am new to this so I would appreciate any help. Is this Mother Nature showing off? If so I will move on. If not, I could use lots of help. Realistically how could a mark get that high, even on horse back. Also, what is a blaze? Is is only a chop mark? Looking forward to your help.

Attachments

• front3.jpg
    front3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 692
  • neg3.jpg
    neg3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 681
  • eyear2.JPG
    eyear2.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 636
  • eye ruler.JPG
    eye ruler.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 626
  • fullladder2.jpg
    fullladder2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 664

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET!! Looks like a diamond to me. It got up there just like you did. Trees only grow from the apical meristem (growing tip). Once a mark is made, it will always be at that height (unless the tree falls). The mark can only grow in width as the tree increases in girth. Seems to me like that mark was intentionally hard to find. GL!!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Looks almost like a cyclops owl.

Mike is right, that mark is placed where it is to keep it from being found.
Look aroud a bit more and see if there isn't more trees with marks in the area.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a rodent of some kind. Either a rabbit with it's ears laid back or a chipmunk. The diamond shape is it's eye. The large hindlegs say "rabbit" with his ears laid back along his back. I do not see an owl here.

front3.jpg

Both rabbits and chipmunks use little tunnels in the ground; often dug under the edge of a large stone or other ground level structure. Chipmunks are especially adept at hiding food such as pecans or other nutmeats in some amazing places. We had one get into our car and then into the A/C air box and pack the squirrel cage blower with pecans. Cost $86 to get the crap fixed. In that vein of thinking, perhaps there are several small caches tucked away in some places meant for fast recovery.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
gertie, one thing on your side is that since the signs are up high, maybe they have;nt been visited too many times before you found them. if you don't want to climb too often, use binoculars to bring it in closer so you can decide without climbing.
we will be waiting for more pictures. when you can't get out, use the computer to learn about the kgc. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
gertie said:
. Yep, u guessed it, they are ladder high. I want to try to get better pictures to work with. Close and personal to them. I need to see for myself what i am seeing in the pics. Hopefully very soon. I'm holding on to the multiple treasure theory. gertie

A man standing in the saddle.
On a very trusting horse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread