• first artifact recovered.jpg
    first artifact recovered.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 706
  • first artifact recovered.jpg
    first artifact recovered.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 584

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
I know this is obvious .. but is it a dirt floor cave? Ran a two-box over it?

OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
yes it has a gravel floor, every cave i have been into , has gravel filling many passageways. every cave i visited has not been completely explored . to dig every potential lead is impossible. but what has happened here is this, we broke into a cave once, we followed it to a room with initials in it, but no obvious way in from outside, we were able to determine where to look outside from inside, we removed a large diamond shaped stone which capped the entrance. there would have been no way to find this stone if we had not known an opening was sealed by being inside looking up. im hoping to locate a similar cap rock, i know exsists, but not where it is. these caves i go into are 1 foot to 5 foot high, very small sometimes. im looking to get into the larger rooms which are plugged every way in .

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kiddrock33 said:
this old key was found hidden in a stone wall near a cave i go into. any ideas if it can be a sign or symbol besides the fact it is a key.
Anything is possible, given what the hider wanted to accomplish.

Strong box or travel safe key. Be careful opening rock walls. Especially in a cave. If the wall fits floor to ceiling, it could be the end of you if you pull it down without shoring. I don't know what kind of cave you are in but, if coal was mined from it, H2S gas can kill you before you know you are dead. It has happened to others many times in the past.

You might well find another wall inside that has a boxed behind it. GL.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
keys are made to open locks --if the key was hidden there --logically thinking -- so was the "box , chest or item " it opens -- the person that put the key there if they took the "item" away would have took the key to open it with as well it stands to reason (unless someone esle not knowing of the key has already "raided" it away)----- if the keys there , what it opens is maybe there still. --time to check the area out very very well .-- of course be very very careful--besides the natural hazards --some folks "booty trapped" their stashes

recently uncovered 2 "booby trapped" stashes that a old grandfather "miser" type silver hoarder put up ( a freind of mine that metal detects with me asked for my help it was his "grandfather"--good thing he did)-- one had a pistol attached waist high next to his workshop door with a wire attached to the door knob --step in (the door swings inward ) and get gut shot by a 38 ( you have to barely crack the door open and slip the wire off to disarm it)-- there was a 5 gallon bucket of silver halves with a couple of rags (as cover) on top it in the work shop itself -- 600 bucks in silver halves --- the second one was under a large steel plate buried in the dirt outside in the polebarn area attached to the workshop --the steel plate was very heavy and had a eye bolt built into it that you used a hoist chain with a hook to lift up --the hoist chain was attached to the rafter of the polebarn -- ( the hoist chain just "dangled loose in the air" )--*** PS it was "electricifed" ----on top the rafter (where you could not "see" it ) there was a wire running to the "workshop" -- yep if you stood on the steel plate and reached up and grabbed the "hoist chain" to attach the hook to the eye to lift it BEFORE shutting off the power ZZZIITT --220 VOLT ---BY THE WAY THE SHUT OFF SWITCH -- WAS IN THE WORKSHOP --so you had to get past the gun first !! to shut off the power --lol --in that 5 gallon bucket was nothing but 1964 quarters --a whole bucket of em ---we are still searching for his "silver dollar stash " --- I have to wonder what nasty trick he built into it.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
keys are made to open locks --if the key was hidden there --logically thinking -- so was the "box , chest or item " it opens -- the person that put the key there iftrhey took the "item" away would have took the key to open it with as well it stands to reason (unless someone esle not knowing of the key has already "raided" it away)----- if the keys there what it opens is maybe there still. --time to check the area out very very well .-- of couse be very very careful--besides the natural hazards --some folks "booty trapped" their stashes

recently uncovered 2 "booby trapped" stashes that a old grandfather "miser" type silver hoarder put up ( a freind of mine that metal detects with me asked for my help it was his "grandfather"--good thing he did)-- one had a pistol attached waist high next to his workshop door with a wire attached to the door knob --step in (the door swings inward ) and get gut shot by a 38 ( you have to barely crack the door open and slip the wire off to disarm it)-- there was a 5 gallon bucket of silver halves with a couple of rags (as cover) on top it in the work shop itself -- 600 bucks in silver halves --- the second one was under a large steel plate buried in the dirt outside in the polebarn area attached to the workshop --the steel plate was very heavy and had a eye bolt built into it that you used a hoist chain with a hook to lift up --the hoist chainwas attached to the rafter of the polebarn-- ( the hoist chain just "dangled loose in the air" )--*** PS it was "electricifed" ----on top the rafter (where you could not "see" it ) there was a wire running to the "workshop" -- yep if you stood on the steel plate and reached up and grabbed the "hoist chain" to attach the hook to the eye to lift it BEFORE shutting off the power ZZZIITT --220 VOLT ---BY THE WAY THE SHUT OFF SWITCH -- WAS IN THE WORKSHOP --so you had to get past the gun first !! to shut off the power --lol --in that 5 gallon bucket was nothing but 1964 quarters --a whole bucket of em ---we are still searching for his "silver dollar stash " --- I have to wonder what nasty trick he built into it.
Good points in the first paragraph. Great story in the second.

I would like to draw attention to false floors in caves or mines. Mines can have dirt floors to make them level enough to walk on. Before the floor is covered a pit can be dug and boxed. Then covered with dirt. If you fall into the pit, you might find yourself looking at this:
Punji_Sticksmall-p.jpg

or this:
IMG_0020.JPG

or this:
punji2.JPG

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
Kidd! Do you have pics of the spot it was hidden in,, that spot and surrounding area might give clues as to where the keyhole is located? Maybe it is telling you to look for a keyhole OR a stone padlock formation! I mean the key could just be symbolic and means to look for a formation,, I don't think I am explaining this right,, So what else is new! HA! I will look for a picture of a padlock I have somwhere!! td

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
Matt! Might be something like this you will be looking for! Padlock! td

Attachments

• camp padlock 1.jpg
    camp padlock 1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 558
OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
this key was found by my buddy, he took me to the spot yesterday, it was hidden in a stone wall, abutting an old foundation, there must have been a building on it , possibly 1700 or newer , the area was not populated by white men until after 1700. i brought my detector , dug one object and had to go. im not sure what it is i found . metal of some sort. appears to be copper. to soon to tell. im confidant this key goes with the building. i believe it was a stage stop at one time. it is on an old stage road.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its very possible that the key opened a door on the building or a chest within the building at one time.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Already looks good Matt.
There seems to be a void behind where the key came from.
I would have investigated that further ... and right away.
Especially if I had a partner with me.

OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
old dog, i see the void, the land nearby is posted, this land isn't but i think i should get permission if i want to dig anything. im thinking this was an inn from the 1750 or newer. predates the revolutionary war. possibly boston to albany route.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Matt,
just be very careful what you say when asking premission.
I wouldn't ask the wrong guy either.
Make sure you have the right piece of property and be sure to fill in the hole as best you can.

Don't leave too much evidence you were there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions