Need help with symbols?

searcherman

Feb 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Fisher F75 LTD Black
These symbols or? Have been shown to me since I was small. The symbols are about 15" inches in diameter. Also each symbol is a little different. I have found what looks like the same symbol carved in a big beech tree. Back in the 1980"s there was native American body's found near this area. Also I have found arrow heads near these symbols. This spot is a great place for a hideout. These are the only symbols that i know of in the area. Just thought these could be a map or ? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• DSC00338.JPG
    DSC00338.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 733
  • DSC00336.JPG
    DSC00336.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 727
  • DSC00342.JPG
    DSC00342.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 725
  • DSC00335.JPG
    DSC00335.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 709

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
Great PICS! Thanks.

Looks, to me, like a 'juice extractor' ... look up 'key symbol.' Similar, but yours looks more detailed (what part of country?). Gotta go, will be back later.

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
I'm originally from KY and been 'all over' the place, never seen anything like this while there. Nice find. DO NOT tell me the exact area, but is this by chance near the Falls of the Ohio area? I'm assuming either there or central KY??? Anything else in the immediate area?

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kiddrock33 said:
i noticed a shovel in the picture , these carvings are very large aren't they.
It was a short shovel. I had one like it about 24" long.

Kentucky residents:
Chickasaw, Cherokee, Mosopelea, Shawnee, Yuchi. Other tribes have been known to visit that area as well.

OP
OP
S

searcherman

Feb 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
The symbol with the moss was found about 500' ft from the others. Could these symbols be leading me to another? Also the tree with the carving is about a 3' to 4'ft in diameter tree how long ago could this have been carved? Thanks.

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
The small symbol is actually the one that most caught my attention as this being an unusual site. Any pics of the carved tree?

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searcherman said:
The symbol with the moss was found about 500' ft from the others. Could these symbols be leading me to another? Also the tree with the carving is about a 3' to 4'ft in diameter tree how long ago could this have been carved? Thanks.
Only if the symbols themselves either A] physically point to the next or B] the images contain codes of some sort that reveals the location of another.

The carving? Since a tree only grows from the apical meristem, all marks, blemishes, damages, and the like, will remain where they happened. Since the tip of the tree increases it's height, the trunk will increase the girth, thereby stretching any marks upon it. It is a poorly carved copy of the stones' images. My guess is 5 - 10 years, maybe 15, and is a marker to remind someone how to find those rocks. Since bark regenerates itself, as long as the cambium is not destroyed, all wounds will scab over eventually. That sign will heal completely in the future.

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
On beech, and that is what that tree is, the way it's bark replenishes itself, it will remain scarred and maintain carvings until it dies.
Big Hoss

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoss KGC said:
On beech, and that is what that tree is, the way it's bark replenishes itself, it will remain scarred and maintain carvings until it dies.
Big Hoss
We don't have beech around here so, I went off of pines and oaks. Here is what I found. Seems Hoss's info might just fit.

World of wiki: use at own risk ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagus_grandifolia
Like the European Beech bark, the American Beech bark is an attraction for vandals who carve names, dates, and other material into it.[1] One such tree in Louisville, Kentucky, in what is now the southern part of Iroquois Park, bore the legend "D. Boone kilt a bar" and the year in the late 1700s. This carving was authenticated as early as the mid-1800s, and the tree trunk section is now in the possession of The Filson Historical Society in Louisville.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind.In.Texas said:
Hoss KGC said:
Big Hoss
We don't have beech around here so, I went off of pines and oaks. Here is what I found. Seems Hoss's info might just fit.

Like the European Beech bark, the American Beech bark is an attraction for vandals who carve names, dates, and other material into it.[1] One such tree in Louisville, Kentucky, in what is now the southern part of Iroquois Park, bore the legend "D. Boone kilt a bar" and the year in the late 1700s. This carving was authenticated as early as the mid-1800s, and the tree trunk section is now in the possession of The Filson Historical Society in Louisville.

So the Historical Society vandalized the tree so they could have another exhibit in a museum no one visits. A private relic hunter would, rightfully, go to jail for doing the same thing. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Blind.In.Texas said:
Hoss KGC said:
Big Hoss

So the Historical Society vandalized the tree so they could have another exhibit in a museum no one visits. A private relic hunter would, rightfully, go to jail for doing the same thing. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
Well, we don't know that they vandalized it. The tree may have already been dead. However, if I had cut down a dead tree, for preservation purposes, I would have been arrested for vandalism and theft. :dontknow: Who knew D. Boone was a vandal?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind.In.Texas said:
Well, we don't know that they vandalized it. The tree may have already been dead. However, if I had cut down a dead tree, for preservation purposes, I would have been arrested for vandalism and theft. :dontknow: Who knew D. Boone was a vandal?

:sign10: And THERE IT IS. Archies and Historetics can write their own rules, while those of us in the "great unwashed" have to ..........................well, nuff said.

OP
OP
S

searcherman

Feb 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
The carved symbol in the tree is the last photo from my first post. Also the tree carving was about 50 yards from the two symbols that are beside each other and the carving on the tree was on the south side of the tree facing the two symbols.
And from the two symbols beside each other were pointing south toward the last symbol I have found with the green moss and it's facing east on a different privet property.The line that comes out of the circle seems to be pointing me in the direction of the other. I'm going to ask promission on the other property as soon as possible. I'm hoping that I'm on to something here.Thanks for looking and for your help!

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searcherman said:
The carved symbol in the tree is the last photo from my first post. Also the tree carving was about 50 yards from the two symbols that are beside each other and the carving on the tree was on the south side of the tree facing the two symbols.
And from the two symbols beside each other were pointing south toward the last symbol I have found with the green moss and it's facing east on a different privet property.The line that comes out of the circle seems to be pointing me in the direction of the other. I'm going to ask promission on the other property as soon as possible. I'm hoping that I'm on to something here.Thanks for looking and for your help!
GL searcherman.....S/S you crack me up when you have had enough....... :headbang:

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these two images on another site. They were found in WV, according to the page. There were no confimations as to their orgins.

Attachments

• wvrock circle1.jpg
    wvrock circle1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 453
  • wvrick circle2.jpg
    wvrick circle2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 435

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Tom Charles is an Archaeologist in the South Carolina. He has been heading up the petroglyph survey in SC since 1997. I have been assisting in the survey since the beginning. At last count we had recorded about 75 of these same line and circle glyphs. He has written several papers on them. They are a well known style of petroglyph. Up until our survey it was generally accepted that the glyphs were used for lye leaching or tar extraction. But a lot of the ones we recorded were basically non functional for that use. Either they were way to small for any kind of yield, or on vertical rock faces, grooves way to shallow etc... Anyway the design is fairly common in North American rock art. They are some guys out in the Four Corners region chasing these things down also. They call them Waterglyphs. You can look it up on the web. I personally believe these are prehistoric, but the early settlers tried to find a use for them. They are easier ways to extract tar than this! These are part of an mystery that stretches almost completely across America. As no one has yet come up with a good answer for what they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread