Have you seen trees like this?

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
I know my drawings are pretty bad but you can get the general idea, I took pics with a cell phone so dont have them on the computer but I will get better ones next timeit is warm enough.

The trees are about twenty feet apart and are in a straight line. What do you guys think they mean?

Attachments

• roughtrees.jpg
    roughtrees.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,627

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Missouri those trees are called "Indian thong trees" they were used as directional indicators by the Cherokee Indians on their TRAIL OF TEARS march to point the way toward water, shelter, or a path. I hope that this helps....But anybody could have planted and bent the trees so I would follow and see where it leads....Steve

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I would agree that they are trail markers, but then again.....I have been doing that since I was a kid....everytime I am in the woods...I tie small saplings together,braid them ,tie them in loops or circles,make them look like hearts.......I just had a fascination of wondering how the trees would look when full grown... ;)

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
I'm sorry I should have been more clear, I know they are trail trees, but which way do they point?the two on the right look like boundary trees they make the perfect goal post when you look at them from far away. BUT then there is the spare tree on the left. ???

L

LCRR

Indian Trail Trees, usually in most cases are pointing the way to water. The direction the top of the trunk goes towards is the direction to the water. I grew up around one that was 2 blocks from where I lived and the history
recorded what it was for.

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
a few years ago when i was bottle hunting , i seen a tree with a heart on it and a arrow pointed down. i was not md,ing at this time and did not think nothing of it. i know it was not a real old sign , if i recall it had a date craved in the 30s. now i wonder what that was? got to go back there with my m.d.. just a thought :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread