119.5 KB · Views: 455
  • face099.JPG
    face099.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 458

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to have to be careful of the late graffiti by the late idi0tts. But, to start; in the first batch, #4 has a Phoenician type boat and some other interesting symbols. #7 has a very large arrowhead pointing toward the right. Yes, that one thingie is a bell.

There are some good symbols to the left of the bell. Time to do your homework. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Shortstack,

I'm taking this in, but I'm missing the arrow in picture 7. There was a white stone arrow pointing up, which I saw when walking to the alcove. I took pictures, but didn't see anything that dramatically stood out.

Do you think this is a Ancient-Spanish site? Is the monster with lightning new or a kachina? I have seen several crosses around here

On the other side of the mountain from the alcove there was another formation. It looked like drainage from the top. Gathered there were several white rocks, and a few of them had small points glittering in the sun. Were these rocks anything?

Gorgias

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Tom,
Is there a large granite or other gold bearing type of deposit very close?
If not it isn't a mine shrine. the mine shrine will be found usually on the way to/from.
It is located about 200 feet from the opening.

These signs jump out as Mexican and if true they may represent a travelers shrine that was set up at a camp area.
This is a common practice to allow morning devotions for the traveling before moving on.
the patron saint would be set in the alcove and removed when the party or person departed.
Yes, these folks carried statues of their patron saints with them to pray to and ask protection from daily.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First picture:
If it really was used as a shrine, you might find a mine entrance within 200 varas (Kenworthy).

Second picture: Campsite with water nearby?.......or........gold ;)

Fourth picture: The arrowhead means 'alertness' and the lightning bolts mean danger.

Seventh picure: Very interesting square-cut rock. Mannings posted a similar object. There may be information of interest behind that rock. Looks big though. The slab has horizontal and vertical lines that do not appear to match the surface of the surrounding face.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=2016
"The petroglyphs were made primarily by using a stone or two stones like a hammer and a chisel to gently peck off the patina on the boulder’s surface and creating the image the artist desired to create. Images started being created like this around the year 1300 and is known as the “Rio Grande Style”. This style of petroglyph etching continued to be used for about 380 years until near 1680. This timeframe coincided with the large increase in the population in the valley and the construction of the 40 nearby pueblos and the Pueblo Revolt that forced the Spanish invaders back towards Mexico.

Dating of the petroglyphs is an inexact science however some pretty close estimations can be made using information that we have available to us. In the future more accurate age estimates will evolve as our knowledge base broadens with continuing research, improvements in technology and new discoveries. Comparisons between similar designs found on dated pottery, baskets, and painted murals can be used. The reestablishment of the desert varnish over top of the petroglyph indicates and older glyph. Etchings on top of an older etching will also show relative age. In general, the glyphs located throughout the Rio Grande valley are currently estimated to be somewhere between 3,000 and 300 years old with the majority of the glyphs at the monument being between 700 and 300 years old."

Given the above description of how the natives made their glyphs, the images from picture four seem to be beyond the technology that they used.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Blind.In.Texas said:
First picture:
If it really was used as a shrine, you might find a mine entrance within 200 varas (Kenworthy).

Fourth picture: The arrowhead means 'alertness' and the lightning bolts mean danger.

Mike,
What makes me believe it is mexican is that lightning.
The Spanish used it to mean ABSOLUTE DEATH not danger.
Here it is used to mean danger, indians.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Blind.In.Texas said:
First picture:

Mike,
What makes me believe it is mexican is that lightning.
The Spanish used it to mean ABSOLUTE DEATH not danger.
Here it is used to mean danger, indians.
Except I didn't include the Indian bit. I am interested in that symbol to the left.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gorgias:
You asked "what arrowhead?" Here's the one I was talking about, plus some other symbols. How far above the ground is that roadrunner-looking figure?

tallguy084 Merged.jpg

OP
OP
gorgias

gorgias

Mar 7, 2006
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, guys. I'm learning stuff. I think the black thing on the ground is garbage.

Gorgias

aztreasure

Jul 13, 2010
Arizona
Shortstack said:
You're going to have to be careful of the late graffiti by the late idi0tts.

The name appears to be graffiti...it looks like either "Linda" or "Lindy". If "Lindy", that is an interesting word in and of itself. Oftentimes this is a nickname, perhaps for someone named Linda (read "beautiful", fem.) or some other name with "Lin" (i.e. Lindbergh). Interesting that in Spanish, there is:
Linde - boundary, landmark, limit

Would be interesting if this were a mis-spelling :)

Thomas

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
The are in the picture that I have circled appears to be bullet impacts. The text/name appears to me to be "LINDA".

Attachments

• grafitti096.JPG
    grafitti096.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 394

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread