dumb question

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
Stands for Knights of the Golden Circle

Back AFTER the Civil War ended there were soldiers on the Southern side who belived that with enough funding they could still break away from the Union. They stashed sums of loot in various parts of the US with the thoughts of this. It didn't work and some think that the hoards are still around.

Aufinder01

There are no Dumb questions. Information is given to those who ask.

K

Kentucky Kache

SWR said:
Bomber,

The Confederate States of America was broke, in debt and burnt to the ground. There were no tons of gold to bury, stash or hide. Those who fabricate these fantasy treasures insult every Southern solder that starved, went shoeless or even fought without the benefit of a weapon, because the CSA had no money (or credit) to purchase necessary goods.

Bury, stash or hide nonexistent gold in hopes of fighting another war? Preposterous.

Just the other side of the coin, Jim
Jesse James robbed banks, in the north and south, stealing millions of dollars.
How do you explain the fact that his wife had to sell her furniture to pay for
his funeral? I don't know about the billions that some claim, but I think it's safe to
believe there is money/gold buried somewhere from guys like J.J. and the
confederate raiders.

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
I am afraid i have to agree with SWR on the amount JJ reportedly stole in his career. One book report in 12th grade and a paper in community college in my Criminal Justice class( i had a fascination with Old West outlaws) led me to believe about $250,000-$300,000.
Then it was split with his brother and up to six ways every robbery.
He went through his money very quick.

Treasure Legends tend to grow with every telling.

I am sure everyone will not believe this info and i don't have all the answers as i am not an expert on JJ.

Mike in SC

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR
Bomber,

The Confederate States of America was broke, in debt and burnt to the ground. There were no tons of gold to bury, stash or hide. Those who fabricate these fantasy treasures insult every Southern solder that starved, went shoeless or even fought without the benefit of a weapon, because the CSA had no money (or credit) to purchase necessary goods.
Bury, stash or hide nonexistent gold in hopes of fighting another war? Preposterous.
Just the other side of the coin, Jim
A) On the face of it, yes, regarding the gov't, but individual groups did have war loot which they may or may not have wanted to share, or whatever.

On the way to Tayopa there is a group of decendents of the civil war soldiers that left the south to settle in Mexico. They took along eough money to purchase a beautiful valley and surrounding land to establish a colony. It still exists today and is prosperous. Naturally they have taken Mexican wives which certainly did not lower the quality of the gene pool since most are very good looking and defiitely intelligent.

Ir is called Bermudez.

]

Attachments

• .jpgHome.jpg
    .jpgHome.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 356
  • .jpgLocal.jpg
    .jpgLocal.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 359
  • .jpgCenter.jpg
    .jpgCenter.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 365
  • .jpgpartial.jpg
    .jpgpartial.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 358
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR ]
I think $250 thousand ($250,000) is a more realistic figure,
a) I agree, or even less, a bank with $5,000 cash was rare in those days.

A dollar was a large amont of cash in those days.

Till Eulenspiegle

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a clarification. The building called 'Casa de Salud' is a gov't run health center. with a doctor in charge. In Mexico all new doctors are required to go to outlying centers such as this to serve for one year as partial payment for their medical education for which they are subsidized. The US could learn form this.

In the center is my old turbo/deisel Isuzu, it is fantastic for back country and four wheel drive areas, almost as good my 45 mil jeep.

Till Eulenspiegle

K

Kentucky Kache

SWR said:
jbot said:
Jesse James robbed banks, in the north and south, stealing millions of dollars.
How do you explain the fact that his wife had to sell her furniture to pay for
his funeral? I don't know about the billions that some claim, but I think it's safe to
believe there is money/gold buried somewhere from guys like J.J. and the
confederate raiders.

I think $250 thousand ($250,000) is a more realistic figure, during his 15-year rain of terror. After expenses, dividing the loot and living the lifestyle, no telling how much was left (or dedicated) for funeral expenses.
$250,000-300,000 is probably right. But that would be like having millions today. I have trouble believing that the ole' boy died broke, yet he left family with debt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread