Wooden marker

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I found this hiking to a site that a friend of mine found while hunting. The site shows indications of possibly having been a small placer mine at one point (although my best efforts cannot find any indication that there is any gold within several miles of this part of the county)

The arrow point is actually pointing away from the placer site. At the time I didn't know too much about the legalities of mining claims. And am now thinking it may be a corner mark for a claim. On my next trip up there I am going to work my way across the creek and see if I can find anything similar on the other side.

I decided to post it here on the off chance that the overall design has some known meaning that one of the many experts on here who are good enough to share their knowledge with the rest of us might recognize.

Attachments

• CIMG5713.JPG
    CIMG5713.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 320

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Darshevo,
A couple questions ...
First, just how is all of this attached to the tree?
If attached with nails, what do the nails look like?
Do they have square heads or round ones?

Just curious It makes a big difference when trying to determine age.

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
If When U do go Back plz take a pic of the top of the pole.
kinda resembles a Ladder I'm In the PNW as well & looks like the top rung has detached from the tree.
not knowing what the top of the pole looks like But my guess would be that is a trap line Location for Marten's. A box trap would be positioned high up & far enough for the main tree that a Black bear could not reach & the Marten would have to climb the pole to get the Bait.
the rungs would be for the trapper to reach the Box trap & rebait it or retrieve his Pelt.
In the past there was Lots of Mink (close to sea water & Marten higher ground) Trappers in the PNW.
my guess mid late 1940's.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/wilderness/animals/marten.htm

OP
OP
Darshevo

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I will likely be up there again some time in the next week or so. That area is currently my pet project. I'll get better pics and a better description as to size and how its assembled. I didn't notice until Gold Guru's posting that what I thought was an arrow does indeed look like a rung that's simply come unattached on one side.

-Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread