Stone Treasure Markers Question

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
I live in Wyoming and my family has some property that was known to be traveled across by the likes of Butch Cassidy. There were also some less famous cattle rustlers/robbers known to occupy the area.

My question is, is anyone familiar with the stone map markers like the ones in the link below?:

http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-is-treasure-mark-part-ii.html

The reason I'm asking is that I've come across such a stone with a hole bored into it. The stone is "mounted" into the side of a canyon wall with the hole bored in the center of the stone.

It absolutely was placed there and you can see behind it from one side of it. *The view isn't very good but is obvious that it doesn't open up to anything larger and there isn't much space behind the stone.

The stone that is "placed" in the side of the canyon wall is approximately 14-20 inches high and about the same width. Approximately 6-10" thick. *Haven't been by it for quite awhile and am estimating the dimensions.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the rock is removable, there may be information on the back side. Just make sure it goes back that way it was. Others may tell you measure the width and depth using MM and CM. Keeping that information close may or may not be useful later but, better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
B

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
The marker would be approximately @ eye level when on a horse. Slightly higher.

On the right side of the stone, you can see behind it very easily. There is a very small area behind the stone (could fit 3 basketballs or so). It is very apparent there has been a fire behind the stone.

When we first came across it years ago, we figured it was maybe a forge type deal of some sort. Hole in the center and access on the right side.

The rock is big enough and placed well enough that 2 healthy guys would have their work cut out to dislodge it. It'd probably take 3 healthy guys to put it back in place.

I never thought much of the stone until I came across the blog in the link I posted. I came across it while researching MD'ing.

Thanks for the input. I get my Minelab 705 tomorrow and will be going on a trip in the next few weeks to do some detecting around one of the old outlaw cabins. I'll def get some pics of the stone at that time.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
One of The famous signals that the "Wild Bunch used was a hole through a stone and a fire behind it.
light would shine through the hole far enough out to warn anyone that it was or wasn't OK to approach the camp.

RH2 had a very good idea as well
as is the depth x width equals distance, if there is a notch on one side of the drill hole it indicates direction.
Just things to try.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
One of The famous signals that the "Wild Bunch used was a hole through a stone and a fire behind it.
light would shine through the hole far enough out to warn anyone that it was or wasn't OK to approach the camp.

as is the depth x width equals distance, if there is a notch on one side of the drill hole it indicates direction.
Just things to try.
Interesting about the Wild Bunch info.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thanks Mike,
The Wild Bunch is a good group for a treasure hunter in my area to hunt.
I live about 50 miles from where "Kid Curry" made his last escape attempt.
After robbing a train at Grand Valley he fled for Rifle where he was cornered...
This for me created an opportunity to chase a legend.

Got a lot of folks mad when I finally debunked this one. Myself included.
All research though. Insurance records did it finally, LOL
Some railroad folks ended up re-reimbursing the insurance company, the one that didn't went to prison.
all very hush hush. Add to the legend that Curry was supposed to have died with Butch in Bolivia.
(neither did Butch)
Movies and hearsay are what you have to weed out and wade through...

OP
OP
B

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
Old Dog said:

Just things to try.

That's very interesting!! I don't recall of any "notches" but I wasn't looking for them either.

As I stated before, it was definitely an area the "Wild Bunch" was known to be, as well as a few other outlaws. Looking forward to getting the pics. May have to bump up the trip to get the pics a little quicker.

I'm figuring any treasure cache is a pipe dream but hoping to find some old relics and coins at a few locations.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Be sure to do as much research as you can on the subject.
In my case it saved me countless miles and months of boots in the desert.

A search of available insurance company documents may be a good place to go.
I looked at 15 years worth and found what I was looking for 11 years after the fact.
it was kept pretty quiet because of embarrassment I suppose. A big loss to an insurance company back then $28,000.

What actually happened was they set up a block on the track, and the UP payroll train blew through it.
Kid Curry and crew stopped and robbed the next train in line.
When they cornered and killed Curry and his buddies in Rifle collectively they found $15.49.
That was exactly the amount reported lost by the passengers on the train.
The UP however reported the loss of the payroll shipment ...(the legendary $28.000) from the previous train.
it took the insurance company 11 years to sort it out.
All in all a fun bit of research.
Just so you guys know, the cache of gold between Parachute and Rifle Colorado is bunk.
LOL
Thom

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thom, your thought process on this would have made KVM proud. Your actions are exactly what he was trying to teach people 50 years ago and you do / did it naturally. Hats off to ya. :thumbsup:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Makes you wonder just how some of these modern businesses achieved all the fame and fortune.
Corruption is still common just more covert.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Springfield said:
Old Dog said:
....The UP however reported the loss of the payroll shipment ...(the legendary $28.000) from the previous train......

You mean all thieves don't ride horses?
Throughout history the greatest thieves have stolen more money with a pencil than was ever
taken by sword or pistol :tongue3:
Jim

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Twisted Fork said:
OK..So what happened to the loot?

In regards to the "Kid Curry" robbery, the actual amount taken from the passengers on the train was $15.49.
The same amount taken from the bodies of the kid and his accomplice after the shootout in Rifle CO.

A side note,
The bodies were taken to Glenwood and buried.
They were exhumed a year later to confirm the identity of "Kid Curry"
this was because of a rumor that Curry was out of the country with the legendary "Butch and Sundance" in Bolivia.
The Identity was confirmed and the bodies were quietly reentered.

As for the rest of the loot it was recovered over time by investigators.
Couple guys did some pretty serious time over it I suspect. Or paid some hefty bribes.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Old Dog said:
Twisted Fork said:
OK..So what happened to the loot?

In regards to the "Kid Curry" robbery, the actual amount taken from the passengers on the train was $15.49.
The same amount taken from the bodies of the kid and his accomplice after the shootout in Rifle CO.

A side note,
The bodies were taken to Glenwood and buried.
They were exhumed a year later to confirm the identity of "Kid Curry"
this was because of a rumor that Curry was out of the country with the legendary "Butch and Sundance" in Bolivia.
The Identity was confirmed and the bodies were quietly reentered.

As for the rest of the loot it was recovered over time by investigators.
Couple guys did some pretty serious time over it I suspect. Or paid some hefty bribes.

I wonder how the 'confirmation' was determined in those days. Curry's death has never been seriously challenged in more recent times, but it sure seems likely that Parker and Longabaugh may have lived to ripe old age despite the final shootout scene in the movie. Same goes for James and Bonney and many others - no fingerprints, no ID's, no DNA equates to an easy new start in life when things get dicey.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
To have survived in their time doing what they did ... they each had physical characteristics that were specific to each. Archeologists have proven by exhuming the bodies in Bolivia that only a couple of the original Wild Bunch actually died there. (no evidence of Butch or Sundance)

Curry had some silver teeth and a deformed foot that were used as ID points in the exhumation autopsy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread