152.8 KB · Views: 739

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
be gone oh lowly ATV / vehicle riders -- heck even bicycles are banned !!!!-- so only the HOLY horseback riders and walking / backpacking eco nut "bird watchers" are allowed to enter the these sacred lands...

well seems now that only the wealthy horse back riders and the healthy "bird watching" type eco hikers can now use that land .

I guess you didn't get the "only horse back riders --walkers / hikers and backpackers" allowed notice :dontknow:

-- funny thing is I always thought as "public land" -- supported and owned the the "public at large" via taxes -- "public lands" should be open for all the general public''s enjoyment -- not just a select few eco nut types.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
While I agree that it should be open to the public, the real problem I have with all these closures is, "who decides that it should be closed?"

I think that, while the people living near these lands see that it is obviously a dumb idea, it seems like people in big cities fall for all the nonesense about "protecting the wilderness." What do they know? To them it probably sounds like a good idea.

The people recently in government positions have given some lands over to the U.N., closed off land to motorized vehicles, and just plain closed-off others all together. But the reasons for doing so are some of the most stupid I have ever heard. They just don't make any sense, unless you consider some kind of hidden agenda; which is becoming more and more evident.

???

OP
OP
D

DoveFeather

Apr 18, 2010
Thanks Ivan;
the Uncompahgre is a large area, to the south is Ouray and Telluride, the head water of this mountain. The San Miguel river starts near Telliride and runs northerly to the Dolores river, the Dolores runs through theParadox Valley into Utah and into the Colorado River all to the west of the Uncompahgre Plateau.
Ouray is at the head water of the Uncompahgre river that runs on the east side of the Plateau, this river runs into the Gunnison river at Delta Colorado. The Gunnison river runs into the Colorado river at Grand Junction Colorado. The Plateau is about 120 miles long and 50 miles wide. The Roubideau canyon, Escalante canyon and Domingues can all empty into the Gunnison river. this mountain is covered with Petroglyphs and history of the people here before us.
As a senior my best day hiking in these canyons will be 5 to 6 miles, many of the trails require a 5 to 10 mile jeep-ATV ride to start. Next it will be inhuman to ride a horse this far!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Blind.In.Texas said:
That's not usually the kind of sign we post in here. Now, if it were a Spanish 'sign' that would be different ;)
I think the post is appropriate . It is a sign of our diminishing freedom as stupidity overrides common sense .
Jim

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
They have closed off a lot of the Uncomphagre plateau.
All of the upper areas that used to access the Dominguez Canyon are all closed as well.
We can thank the Salizar Brothers for all this.

As for me I salute them.... (one finger at a time)

trailseeker4

Mar 21, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Pin Pointer Pro
It seems to me that we are being closed off from access more and more. I feel sorry for the younger generations that won't be able to enjoy the area as I have. Our tax dollars should be spent on enhancing our public lands, not shutting us out. More control is not the way to go and I'm very aggravated we are no longer able to use our land as it was intended by our forefathers.

TS4

Aug 3, 2010
I know exactly what I'm looking at Trail seeker, as of august 2nd they've imposed new regulations in the areas, it doesn't effect me because I can still hike into any area I want to get into, if you guys are upset why don't you ask your man Scott why he's breaking it off in your ........

It's just like the old indian proverb of the brave and the snake, he carried it all the way down from the freezing cold mountain and at the bottom the snake bit him, and as he laid there dying he asked the snake why'd you bight me? and the snake replied
"you knew I was a snake when you picked me up"

StrikeItRich

May 12, 2010
Colorado
I am new to this site, but i must disagree with Blind in Texas,,, how is this post not relevant to this website? This website consists of treasure hunting, and DoveFeather's post only refers to how the 'government' is further restricting our rights to observe and explore our public lands, all of which in Colorado is rich with Spanish History... How is that not relevant to a website such as this? I'm just wondering, why are we being cut off like this? SIR

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
This isn't anything Scott did.
this is the Salizar Boys doing. Most especially the current sec. of the interior.
Scott dealt with the Black Canyon the best way possible.
If he hadn't it would have been ruined in just a few more years.
It is a site to behold, and should be preserved.

Aug 3, 2010
Old Dog said:
This isn't anything Scott did.
this is the Salizar Boys doing. Most especially the current sec. of the interior.
Scott dealt with the Black Canyon the best way possible.
If he hadn't it would have been ruined in just a few more years.
It is a site to behold, and should be preserved.

If you would care to post some facts to support your spin factory Thom I think it would give your arguement a little more credibility this isn't the first time Scott's been a greedy land grabbing politician, and if you guys elect him governor you'll start seeing no tresspassing signs in place of those trail markers mark my words.

"Scott McInnis's pet projects: the proposed expansion of the Army's 235,000 acre Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site -- right onto private ranchland in southeastern Colorado."

All of these guys are in bed together, don't be complaining if you're not willing to wake up and do something about it besides point fingers.

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
Seems a guy COULD argue, Well the route/road/trail is closed, I guess I could go left or right from here!!! td

OP
OP
D

DoveFeather

Apr 18, 2010
Hey TD;
It is a $250 ticket if they catch you on one of these raods! IF they can catch you...
Why go left or right, I think that down the middle is the best route, thump, thump!!!!
I will say that these signs kept most of the road hunters out of my back yard and that was nice!
If anyone has any questions about all the road closings they can call the Montrose BLM office at 970-240-5321 and ask for Blake, he is the recreations planner and in charge of these closings. He has been good to answer any question I have had.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the post is appropriate . It is a sign of our diminishing freedom as stupidity overrides common sense .
Jim

I am new to this site, but i must disagree with Blind in Texas,,, how is this post not relevant to this website? This website consists of treasure hunting, and DoveFeather's post only refers to how the 'government' is further restricting our rights to observe and explore our public lands, all of which in Colorado is rich with Spanish History... How is that not relevant to a website such as this? I'm just wondering, why are we being cut off like this? SIR

Thanks guys, the only way evil will prevail is for good men to do nothing!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rangler

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rangler said:
Jim

Thanks guys, the only way evil will prevail is for good men to do nothing!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rangler
Of course you disagree with me rangler. Why wouldn't you? The comment I made was one of parody. Don't take yourself too seriously. I do empathize with those who's public lands are being shut down to mechanized traffic. About 95% of the lands in Texas are privately owned. All waters in Texas are owned by the state yet, many landowners put a fence across a creek when they own the property on either side. So of them believe that they own the right to prevent usage of said creeks. Sometimes the fence is to keep cattle from crossing into roads and sometimes not. Fences ARE allowed across creeks but, the obstruction MUST be minimal or portage around the obstacle MUST be allowed.

I recently had a similar issue in Blanco County. Kayaking and fishing on a creek there. I was told by the landowner that the creek was private. I told him to produce documentation to prove. He did not. I was told, by the captain game warden, of that county, that the only two public waters in that county were the Pedernales and Blanco rivers. The Texas Legislature specifically sites that all waters are owned by the state and that NO ONE shall impede the use of said waters, without a permit. This rule DOES NOT cover water which is entirely surrounded by private property. Lakes and ponds. However, mr. captain game warden informed me that, traditionally, the waters of Blanco county had been treated as private. I emailed the county judge, and asked of that office, who gave them the right to override federal law and state law. The reply I received was that no one had actually overridden any laws. The landowners were simply being allowed to treat them as private.

Here is information I found concerning Texas navigation laws. For all my fellow TEXANS.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publica.../rivers/navigation/riddell/publicaccess.phtml

Public Access to Navigable Streams
For assistance with accessibility on any TPWD documents, please contact [email protected]

Access must usually be obtained through the use of public property. The typical access may be from the right of way of a public road that crosses the stream, through a publicly owned boat launch area, or from some other public land (a park, for example) adjacent to the stream. There is no general right to cross private property to get to a navigable stream. There are a number of privately owned parks or campgrounds where members of the public may have access to a navigable stream by paying a small fee to the landowner. If the private landowner forbids access, an attempt to use the private land would be a trespass.

State law prohibits parking on a highway bridge and generally forbids (with certain exceptions) parking in the main traveled part of a highway.

Within a public road’s right of way, private fencing that restricts public passage to the stream is illegal.

====================================================================
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publica...ers/navigation/riddell/lawfulactivities.phtml

Lawful Activities Along Navigable Streams
For assistance with accessibility on any TPWD documents, please contact [email protected]

Texas courts have recognized that a member of the public may engage in a variety of lawful activities along a navigable stream. Besides boating, persons may swim, float, walk, wade, picnic, camp, and (with a license) fish. Public use must be confined to the stream bed and, to a limited extent, the banks. Hunting is permitted in some situations. However, a hunter should always check first with local law enforcement officials because of numerous local restrictions and exceptions. A law called the Sportsman’s Rights Act prohibits intentional interference with or disruption of lawful hunting or fishing.

In general, any unlawful activity is also unlawful along a river. The disorderly conduct provision of the Texas Penal Code forbids such activities as fighting, being unreasonably noisy, displaying a firearm in a manner calculated to alarm, discharging a firearm, and using abusive or profane language that tends to incite an immediate breach of peace. Damaging or destroying property is punished as criminal mischief. Under another law punishment for littering can range up to a fine of $4,000 and a year in jail, depending upon the amount of litter and any previous convictions.

===========================================================

Just my $.02 usd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread