marker tree?

jayheazy

Oct 13, 2007
I posted this a while ago , but I think i deleted the thread by accident.

Would this be a marker tree? It is 2 different trees that have grown together. I have not seen trees do this unless they were forced to do so, and it seems to be old growth.

My site is around 100+ years old, and the fusion is around 20-25 feet up from the ground. I think they are oak, but not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 104a.jpg
    104a.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 639
  • 105a.jpg
    105a.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 679

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I am not sure Jay,
having looked at it before,
I am sure I must have asked if there are other markers near by to indicate that the trees are involved?

is it just the odd formation or is there indicators that these were anchored together at one point?
I can't tell for sure but it does look as though there was some trimming done close to where they join.
could you please look closer and let us know... (about the other signs as well)

Thanks in advance.

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. I have found marker trees very closely shaped to the split V shaped oak. They are either oak or pine in my area. I read them as stop signs because the trail I'm on has brought me to that area. They are split high up and can be seen for some distance in the winter. I also find carving signs on trees nearby, misshappen or bent trees, and once a grafted tree. I'm not sure the two trees were designed to grow together. It may have just happened naturally. I have seen pictures of Indian trail trees like this. The theory is that this was a tribal boundary marker, if I remember right. OD is right as usual, you must look around for other signs/clues in the immediate area. They are the best indicator to help you determine the meaning of the tree (if any) and also clues to what group might have shaped it.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Brent,

I believe you do have a marker there. I would stand, sit, and even put my head on the ground in the spot that the dead limb is pointing at and carefully look in all directions. (after checking for harmful critters that might bite or sting) I bet you have already MD'd the spot. Also there could be a buried marker there....might be made of metal or stone. Will attac. pic of Tree Marker I just recently found nearby S/S I have posted earlier. This is the only one I have found this high up in a tree. (15 ft. or so...just happened to look up) Guess a secondary group was aware of the site and marked? I am thinking it may still be here.

Oddrock

Attachments

• 001 (640x480).jpg
    001 (640x480).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 588

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hadji009:
Don't ignore that hole just to the left of the "cigarette" limb. It's pretty promanate; I'm wondering if it might be a bullseye to a second spot to form part of a triangle. Or in the least; the end of a line with that limb pointing to the other end and a goodie in the middle point. Goodie as in another clue or a payday cache for a sentinel. :dontknow: Never know.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Old Dog said:
Good picture Odd,
What signs did you find with this?
Thom,
Downward pointer goes to my post #114 on "too hot to dig"thread. (bear head)

Oddrock

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jayheazy said:
I posted this a while ago , but I think i deleted the thread by accident.

Would this be a marker tree? It is 2 different trees that have grown together. I have not seen trees do this unless they were forced to do so, and it seems to be old growth.

My site is around 100+ years old, and the fusion is around 20-25 feet up from the ground. I think they are oak, but not sure.

Any help is appreciated.
Since trees only grow from the tips of the branches, any branch that appears along the main trunk or another branch, will remain there until it dies. If the first picture truly is a sign, 1) it would have had to have been done where the branches currently exist and 2) the chosen elevation would have been so that it could be seen from a distance.

IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread