Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go back and forth to Oklahoma, I sometimes use this place in New Mexico as a layover for the night. Lots of markings that may or may not mean anything, but they are pretty old. I find different ones every time I stop by. Note the cross carved above the east facing rock shelter.

Attachments

• 9-16a.jpg
    9-16a.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 2,432
  • 9-16b.jpg
    9-16b.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 9-16c.jpg
    9-16c.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,762
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go. We know there's no such thing as Ogam writing; only tool sharpening marks. (hehehe) In this case that might be true. Jose Eusebio Pacheco carved his name here in the 1880's. More folks have come along and added to it and now I can't read the date anymore.

Attachments

• 9-16a.jpg
    9-16a.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,318

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
RGINN said:
Here you go. We know there's no such thing as Ogam writing; only tool sharpening marks. (hehehe) In this case that might be true. Jose Eusebio Pacheco carved his name here in the 1880's. More folks have come along and added to it and now I can't read the date anymore.

Thanks for the close up. it explains much,
Springfield is right about the "Anchor Double J"
There will be a lot more associated with this one, it could be a fun chase.

Jesse W. James' signature is always a good trail to follow if you can find it.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple more just for fun. A bigger shot of the anchor. The second pic interests me in a way, because out exploring, I always pay attention to rocks that don't belong, or seem to be unnaturally placed. I find a lot of historic and pre-historic sites this way. It aggravates the wife when I pull off the road and run a half mile off into some farmer's field to look at some rock standin out there. Anybody wants to know where this place is, I'm happy to pass the info on; maybe some one of us will find somethin around there. (Guess I forgot to add the pics, got em now.)

Attachments

• 9-17f.jpg
    9-17f.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,200
  • 9-17e.jpg
    9-17e.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,193

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed that the double "J" is not a mirror of itself. There's a serif on the right hook and none on the left. Plus, there's a dark cylinder shape inside the area of the "J" hook on the left side. These differences could indicate direction. The serif on the right hook could also be the KGC verification mark. That's something they picked up from the Knights Templar.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN:
That's a beautiful turtle in your second photo and you're correct. That thing was PLACED. All of those small support rocks underneath it didn't "just happen". The curious thing is, the turtle's head is barely poking out, looking toward the left, but there are at least 3 human face profiles and one lion's face profile; all looking toward the RIGHT. There is a drill hole in the face of the bank just a little below and to the left of the turtle's nose. The drill hole has a small "trickle" line running out of it and straight down. Straight down from the turtle's head, in the lighter bulging rock are 2 short parallel lines that make the rock LOOK like a paw, but might very well be distance markers.

By the way, one of the human profiles is holding up the turtle's rearend. It looks just like a Roman styled statue; curly hair and all. The area below it's "nose" and downward, is missing. The lion profile is high up and to the rear on the right side of the photo and is a triple carving. It has 2 dupicates running back along the near side. The remaining 2 profiles and possibly a 3rd are all low on the right side of the photo.

I won't mark up any photos.....................................................yet. :laughing9: :tongue3: :laughing9:

And lastly, the expanded "JJ" photo has a couple of fresh notches just below your camera lens cap. Looks like someone is vandalizing the location. Those notches are just TOO new. That can be seen easily just by looking at your pic......no varnish.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Shortstack. You can go ahead and start marking that pic up. There are a lot of new marks in the area as it is a state park and lots of folks left their marks. I got one more pic if I can find it that I will post tomorrow. And OkieTreasureHunter rules.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok--Dokay:
Here's what I see. Again, note that all faces are looking toward the right, but the turtle is looking toward the left and the heart is straight up and down.

9-17f Merged.jpg

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Old Dog said:
Inside the rock shelter with the "cross"
Look at the olgam on the left !!

That is indeed interesting; on the grey (or blue) boulder with the many marks from many ages, I think I can even see a classic Celt "Mabo-mabona" symbol on the right side. Could just be the way it lighting it of course, but if I were to guess I would say that site has been used by MANY different visitors, perhaps over thousands of years! Could be some really interesting things concealed around there!

Good luck and good hunting, I hope you find the treasure that you seek.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
PS - not to try to derail the whole theory here, but there are some rather intriguing possibilities among those inscriptions. For instance, the "cross" first posted in the first post;
index.php

Unless my eyes are fooling me (quite possible) it appears there is a circle enclosing that 'cross'. Am I seeing a circle there?

If there is a circle, consider this;

85px-Phoenician_teth.svg.png

it is the Phoenician letter "Teth" (a "T" sound) and the word its name means is "GOOD". Interesting, no? I would sure love to see more close-up photos of more of the inscriptions, especially the oldest looking ones or those that sort of look like letters. The Spanish were not the only folks in history who left behind some impressive buried treasures.
Oroblanco

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Oroblanco said:
PS - not to try to derail the whole theory here, but there are some rather intriguing possibilities among those inscriptions. For instance, the "cross" first posted in the first post;

it is the Phoenician letter "Teth" (a "T" sound) and the word its name means is "GOOD". Interesting, no? I would sure love to see more close-up photos of more of the inscriptions, especially the oldest looking ones or those that sort of look like letters. The Spanish were not the only folks in history who left behind some impressive buried treasures.
Oroblanco

Roy, it has several Spanish uses as well.
The quartered circle is used to mean four
It also says other things... Last set of signs
if it isn't a quartered circle the X was used to mean ten,
and the arch or cup is water close,
would be an indicator that We are seeing this sign upside down
water was close (Ten measures away)

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a single rock, about 12 inches long, that caught my attention. I thought it was a result of erosion, but I decided to take a pic anyway. I tried to chalk the lines but it didn't do a whole lot of good. I don't think I'll reveal the exact location. It is a state park, and it would be bad if I started a full scale treasure hunt there. Then again, the state might make some cash off of fees. My whole thing was lookin for Indian petroglyphs, and I found one rock shelter and one possible pitiful petroglyph, but I was happy, cause it was similar to ones in Picture Canyon. A star petroglyph. Or possibly Phoenecian writing. Oroblanco, I don't know about Barry Fell, but I respected Gloria Farley. I met her at the Oklahoma State Fair in the 60's. I don't know how good it is, but I will give you a pic of the petroglyph.

Attachments

• 9-20d.jpg
    9-20d.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 952
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, Oroblanco. Kinda hard to see, and I couldn't enhance it much. I could see it better in person, and it does resemble some of the markings I saw in Picture Canyon.

Attachments

• 9-20e.jpg
    9-20e.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 893

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thom,
Did you notice the skull face in your reverse color copy? It's in the upper left quad; kinda big.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread