The Sphinx of the Grand Canyon

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
gord said:
Shortstack said:
Guess the purity from NOT being exposed to the air (atmosphere) during the long term cooling is what made the difference. That must be why there are only 2 known locations. :thumbsup:
Actually, there are many more than 2. The Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland is the world's best known, but there are occurrences of columnar basalt all over the world:

http://www.google.ca/search?q="columnar+basalt"&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

I agree there are many of these types of formations.
Let me get a little more specific ...
There are only a very few formations that are entirely as free standing and megalithic as our Devil's Post Pile anywhere in the world. All of the formations that are mentioned are magnificent in their own way, Until you actually see and compare them....
You may agree with me, there are only a couple that equal the Post Pile.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
EE THr said:
Shortstack---

Shortstack said:
The Grand Canyou Sphinx looks more artificial than natural.

An Aerial photograph would show if it's carved, or just a rock, on top of it......

It's a simple eroded formation, and not too remarkable at that. An aerial won't show you squat. An onsite inspection might, however, I don't imagine anyone will be rushing out there to look. Not enough motivation?

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield;
If I were able to go out and explore the Grand Canyon, I think I'd concentrate on the pathway and architectural looking formations that John Wesley Powell reported as being seen in the Marble Canyon area. I could rent a Cessna 152 and do a aerial check of that Isis formation and look for the Sphinx, but to do THAT I'd have to research the FAA rules for flying the Canyon and then pay the charges to get current AND checked out by a local FBO before they'd rent a plane to me. Too much "doe-ray-me" for that. The cost of a float trip through the Marble Canyon area might be a lot cheaper. LOL

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Springfield---

I think a good high resolution camera circling around in chopper would tell a lot.

Unless there is an Indiana Jones door that opens up automatically when you push a special rock.

:o

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Shortstack said:
Springfield;
If I were able to go out and explore the Grand Canyon, I think I'd concentrate on the pathway and architectural looking formations that John Wesley Powell reported as being seen in the Marble Canyon area. I could rent a Cessna 152 and do a aerial check of that Isis formation and look for the Sphinx, but to do THAT I'd have to research the FAA rules for flying the Canyon and then pay the charges to get current AND checked out by a local FBO before they'd rent a plane to me. Too much "doe-ray-me" for that. The cost of a float trip through the Marble Canyon area might be a lot cheaper. LOL

You can forget about the airplane idea Short - the airspace above the canyon is off-limits except for commercial tour guys, and that is very limited. I guess you could buy a ticket with them, but I think their routes are very limited too.

I agree with the Marble Canyon target. Seems to me if you asked permission, you used to be able to get in from the Navajo land on the east. Then you'd have to figure out a way down from the top. This may have changed by now - the Navajos' rules aren't always consistent (money would probably help grease things). The float trip would work well as long as you could control it's schedule.

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will bet you that the government's excuse for putting the airspace off limits is for "public safety" ; as well as their restrictions on access into the canyon. They OVERUSE the "public safety" and the "national security" labels so much that their credibility is SH-- anymore. Makes one wonder if they are really worried about our safety or are they hiding something. Such things lead to some pretty wild conspiracy theories don't they?

HEY. I've got it. That Egyptian chamber has been turned into the 3rd White House and will be the safe place for top government officials at Armageddon. Yeah, that's it. That place in West Virginia was just a ruse. :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: Are there any reports of unmarked helicopters entering and leaving the GC???

SCHEW!!! Got that out of my system. Now, back to the real world. With all of the mule and hiking trails down into the canyon; one of those could be a good backup to a float trip. How would the government stop someone from boating down the canyon in their own equipment, if they started in Utah?

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
For that matter, how would they know you flew in and took pictures? Radar won't go below the canyon walls!

But I've heard there are some nasty drafts in those canyons.

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed. Flying close to the canyon walls would get you very dead from updrafts or downdrafts. Key to avoiding most of those is to study the records of wind patterns in the canyon and try to determine when the most calm period would be.........afternoon or early mornings. Then fly at same altitudes as the rims and on center of the cuts. DON'T fly side canyons, either. This method would be safest and give the chance to take quality photos of the monuments.

As for the radar question; if the canyon is restricted airspace you can bet your behind that the radar stations have that area marked on their screens and in their software. If the system sees any aircraft enter that area, it will notify the controllers with sound and sight signals. Also, permanent PIREPs and NOTAMs will alert all pilots to the restrictions, so there would be no excuses for going into the area. A pilot could possibly get his / her license pulled.........permanently. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The air restriction would also include ultralights and the ul's would show on the radar, too. Restricted Airspaces include EVERY kind of flying apparatus is covered in those laws. If you could fly by flapping your arms, YOU would be restricted. Even if a pilot turned off the IFF transponder in his airplane, it would still be "painted' by the radar and tracked.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
I think we need to get the politicians out of government, and replace them with people who are willing to actually stick to their jobs instead of taking bribes.

:dontknow:

okey dokey

Mar 23, 2009
Muskogee
I believe that my neighbor has the answer to the grand canyon searching safely. He builds model helicopters large enough to hold cameras and video gear. He has used them to help developers market their sites. Just fly one down the canyon and set safely in your command post and see what you can find.

okey dokey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread