Symbols Ive seen

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.

Attachments

• Stone carving.jpg
    Stone carving.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 693
  • snakeontree.JPG
    snakeontree.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 669

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Re: Symbols I've seen

Not enough information to make a I.D. how about a photo that shows the area, the turhey track looks like someone chalked it and then wiped it off. Sorry

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.

The "Turkey" foot is indeed CARVED into a rock near a low water crossing on the South side of Neches River, at the real river crossing below Fort Teran, near Comesneil Texas, The tree carving is near Treasure Mountain, San Juan range, in southern Colorado.
The pictures were taken in the 1980's and I'm NOT seeking identification information. I know what and where they are.
Thanks anyway...
Richard Ray

jack flash

Greenie
May 7, 2009

The snake stands. The goal is within sight. There is probally more to be seen.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Richard Ray said:
Here are a couple I've found when treasure hunting.
Richard Ray

Thanks for sharing your finds, RR. Since you didn't ask for any help on decoding them I presume you already know the info. :thumbsup: It's good to see what other folks are finding around the world. :coffee2:

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Richard Ray said:
The "Turkey" foot is indeed CARVED into a rock near a low water crossing on the South side of Neches River, at the real river crossing below Fort Teran, near Comesneil Texas, The tree carving is near Treasure Mountain, San Juan range, in southern Colorado.
The pictures were taken in the 1980's and I'm NOT seeking identification information. I know what and where they are.
Thanks anyway...
Richard Ray

This one is in Southern Colorado also. I been wondering if it`s real. :dontknow:
I thought I would share. Historical treasure?

Attachments

• camping 2010 300.jpg
    camping 2010 300.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 651
  • camping 2010 300.jpg
    camping 2010 300.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 532

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PyP:
I don't think that year "1801" is good. Here's a little bio I found on a bing search:

Pike was born in Lamberton, New Jersey, now a part of Trenton.[1][2] His father, also named Zebulon Pike, was an officer in the Continental Army under General George Washington and served in the United States Army after the end of the Revolutionary War. The younger Pike grew to adulthood in a series of Midwestern outposts—the frontier of the United States at the time—in Ohio and Illinois. He joined his father's regiment as a cadet in 1794, earned a commission as ensign in 1799 and a first lieutenancy later that year. Pike married Clarissa Harlow Brown in 1801 and continued his military career in logistics and payroll at a series of frontier posts. His career was taken up by General James Wilkinson, who had been appointed Governor of the Upper Louisiana Territory. In 1805, Wilkinson ordered Zebulon Pike to find the source of the Mississippi River.
[edit] Southwest expedition

Nearly immediately upon his return Pike was ordered out once again to lead an exploratory expedition to find the headwaters of the Arkansas River and Red River. Near St. Louis on July 15, 1806, Pike led what is now known as "the Pike expedition" from Fort Bellefontaine to explore the southwest.

Pike never successfully reached the summit of the famous peak that bears his name (Pikes Peak.) He attempted it in November 1806, made it as far as Mt. Rosa to the southeast of Pikes Peak, and gave up the ascent in waist-deep snow after having gone almost two days without food.

If the Louisiana Purchase included that area where you found this tree, there's a looooong shot he did that carving. Still possible, but a long shot. :dontknow:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Mario,
There is a good chance that Zeb Pike did that Carving.
You are entirely correct in using the term Historical Treasure.

Knowing where you are in relation to the original Louisiana Purchase,
It is entirely possible.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thom,

I hope everything is well with you and your loved ones.

This place in my opinion, surely missed you.

I`m glad your back mi amigo (friend). :icon_sunny: :coffee2:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

It is good to be back,
I got to Virginia and visited with my Dad just a few hours before he passed.
I was able to clear up most of all his affairs in the time that followed and was charged by him on his death bed to take care of the library. His library was upwards of 14,000 books. I packed away some pretty special stuff, and then sold the rest for a superb price (shelves and all) to a collector in North Carolina.
Behind one of the shelves I found what he wanted me to find, His gun collection. (the sneaky snake. My mom didn't even know about them)
I was able to save his coin collection (most of it)
These things will leave my mom with a bit of a legacy, as the books I kept are very valuable.

I was able to bring Mom and Dad (remains) back to Colorado.
Mom is with me happily living in my house.
I am exhausted but glad to have made the journey safe and sound.
Thanks to everyone for the prayers and good thoughts and well wishes.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009

thom, i fourth your safe return and pray for your mom's strength to build as i know what she feels. also pray for your
return to peace inside. :hello:

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I read a little about Zeb Pike.
He built a fort in Alamosa CO, was at the Royal Gorge by Canyon City CO.
I believe this picture is very likely within the Lousiana purshase, but the date still does not fit. :dontknow: Shortstack I agree with your analysis.
This photo is very, very close to Gardener Colorado.
But, I`m with O.D, that it`s very possible Zeb Pike left his mark.
History could be wrong?

Attachments

• camping 2010 300.jpg
    camping 2010 300.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 366
  • camping 2010 300.jpg
    camping 2010 300.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 377
  • 250px-LouisianaPurchase[1].png
    250px-LouisianaPurchase[1].png
    16.1 KB · Views: 483

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pala y Pico:
I wasn't suggesting that the carving was a fake, just that there is a question about it that might point that way. I didn't know anything about Pike's biography until I did a quick search after reading your first post with the photo. When I saw that he'd been married that year, it seemed a little odd that he'd leave his bride to go walking in the woods a looooong way from her. The bio did say he accepted an assignment from his General to do some snooping on the Spanish and that he ended up being a "guest" of theirs for several months.
I agree that there seems to be some "holes" in history as pertains to his adventures in the new west. Yes, the carving MIGHT have been made by him and it MIGHT have been made by one of his subordinates traveling through the area as a small "record" of Pike's involvement in opening up that area of Colorado. There's just too much left out of the story. Where's Paul Harvey when you need him?? :laughing7:

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks for sharing Richard. I noticed the snake may have a square on its back..could be imagination though.

If i had seen the snake, i would have thought "it can not be old" so thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread