Sunken ground

DelaPaz

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2011
So lets say that I have these kgc symbols on trees and like "rainman" they make sense to me and I've followed it to an area where the ground has clearly settled and sunk in. It's my understanding that vaults(which I may have a vault symbol) were buried on railroad ties so that they wouldn't sink in the ground. I have 2 detectors and neither 1 is going off. How deep does a standard detector read? Also, would the ground be sunk?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DelaPaz said:
So lets say that I have these kgc symbols on trees and like "rainman" they make sense to me and I've followed it to an area where the ground has clearly settled and sunk in. It's my understanding that vaults(which I may have a vault symbol) were buried on railroad ties so that they wouldn't sink in the ground. I have 2 detectors and neither 1 is going off. How deep does a standard detector read? Also, would the ground be sunk?

Use a 1/4 to 3/8 inch steel rod thread the end for a handle and you have a probe. I thread a copper ball on mine 1/16v larger that the rod. Most sunken holes are old tree stumps :thumbsup:

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Almost all detectors will run on and detect ground minerals, ruining on the mineral mode will let you know if the ground has been ever dug from 1 foot to however deep you want to dig. Just set it on mineral and tune it to the surrounding ground then run it over the sunken spot and see if it needs to be investigated further, if its ever been dug you will loose your signal.

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
How deep a metal detector goes depends on lots of factors. Is it a VLF, PI, what size coil, ground conditions, etc. If it is a KGC cache, then there is a good chance most detectors will go off because it will have a large piece of iron a foot to 2 feet down from the surface over top of the cache.
Good Luck,
Big Hoss

PS - I have NO doubt your site is KGC.

RockHopper2

Nov 22, 2009
Fletcher, OK
Hoss, I dug up part of a stove top at 2ft, another ft down, found two peices of metel that formed an X. The 2box didn't make another sound. Was it out of range ? In other word's how deep did kgc bury a cache. Thank you in advance, Rocky

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
I have personally seen a KGC vault 50 feet deep. One way to see if anything else is below your metal is to use a magnetometer. You aren't going to find a metal detector to go that deep. A magnetometer will detect small changes in the earth's magnetic field strength which could be caused by a void in the ground. Another way would be to utilize ground penetrating radar. Most of us don't have one in the closet though. These instruments can be rented if you don't have one or have a friend with one.
Good luck,
Big Hoss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread