88.1 KB · Views: 241
  • BirdmanEdit.jpg
    BirdmanEdit.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 241

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
BIT,

It took me a a while to realize they are the same rock. I'm surprised such a concretion was used...if it was! It is iffy to me but...perhaps the rock with the hole in it points to a possible "R" or "A" And possibly V on its side pointing to the left..... The rest looks natural to me.

Also the overall shape may be artificial. Is this an out of place rock?
Lol..so was it a trail marker or all just natural?

Desertmoons

Attachments

• BirdmanEditmk.jpg
    BirdmanEditmk.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 222
OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sandstone. Definitely peculiar. There is a perfect bird on it. The bird looks like a pelican. Pelicans migrate to the lake he lives near (Oklahoma). However, the lake was only put there in the 50's. So.......... Never seen anything like it before. The two most interesting 'artifacts' are squared in black. Same type of shapes, same arrangement, just flipped from each other. I don't know what it is. I vote NO for treasure marker and a big fat MAYBE for trail marker.

Natives crawled the mountain where this came from. We find their stuff up there all the time. Ol' buddy let me take the pics. Wouldn't let me take the stone. The guy he got it from said there were a lot more where that one came from. A sampling would be nice but, the guy ain't talking.

The rock is out of place. Set down in ol' buddy's front yard for the shoot. Maybe an early Indian Picasso? Who knows?

Attachments

• BirdmanEdit.jpg
    BirdmanEdit.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 182

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hmmm...it is natural - well the angular stuff anyway. I guess it is not a concretion.. I do not remember the correct name for that type of sedimentary rock.

I recall reading it had to do with, perhaps, mud drying out. It does look so very cool.

Can't find the reference to it..but a about 7 years ago I was checking out a web site where the fellow thought he had discovered ancient smelters. A hillside honeycombed with rock that was somewhat similar in having pockets. The squares seeming so regular that he thought it was artificial.

The searching path I took from there, to finding the geologic basis for that, and for rocks that looked just like yours..is long gone.

Perhaps that will give someone enough to find the info. I would take one home too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread