Mr. Madness

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my research, given the place names mentioned, Fransisco Vásquez de Coronado passed within approximately two hundred miles of this area during his search for the Seven Cities of Cibola. According to reading that I have done, he seperated his army into divisions and marched them seperately in order to not tax the land and its inhabitants too badly, thereby allowing for some sort of recuperation before the passing of the next group.

Did he seperate them in the manner of columns or simply one group after the next along the same trail, or a combination of each as was necessary and/or desirable? These things are not known to me as I have not read all the accounts written of Coronado's exploits nor have I had any desire to retain all that I have read of him.

Anyone can chime in with what they know. Share your knowledge, if you like. Mark what you see, if you like. All opinions are welcome in any form. I make NO claims as to the answers/solutions/information contained within the posted images, except for one, which is my own opinion.

The first picture is a full frontal view of the canyon. The canyon turns back to the right. The next three pictures just bring the subject closer. Notice how high the walls are. Mr. Madness is about 8' tall. The sidewalls are about 20' taller than the focus. The creek bed is hardrock and there is a thin film of algae under the water. I nearly killed myself getting back there for the rear pictures.

The last two show him from the back and he IS discernable from that vantage point.

I have a couple of requests.

• 1. If you mark this up, I would like you to begin your response with Fact: or Opinion:
  • 2. Please explain, after writing Fact: or Opinion:, by stating how what you see relates to anything else, if it does, or possible meanings or how to use the information.
  • 3. If you don't know the meaning of what you think you see, say so. There are NO experts here and I mean NONE!
  • 4. Give a line two afterward and before continuing. It will set the format and it will help keep things neat and organized. Then you can write abook if you like. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• MrMadness 1.jpg
    MrMadness 1.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 377
  • MrMadness 6.jpg
    MrMadness 6.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 340
  • MrMadness 5.jpg
    MrMadness 5.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 350
  • MrMadness 4.jpg
    MrMadness 4.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 346
  • MrMadness 3.jpg
    MrMadness 3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 354
  • MrMadness 2.jpg
    MrMadness 2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 344
OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinion:
I think it means "It is here. Look down."

The "it" being another sign or clue somehwhere. Since the Spanish weren't to mark things directly, and the creek bottom is bedrock, I would think only another clue would be found.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I have something just like this. It's in a narrow canyon also. About as narrow as yours. The first picture shows the eyecatcher and the face in the upper right, and the second picture shows what it's looking to.
MD

eye catcher.jpg

eye catcher.jpg

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 347

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
As I recall, the Coronado Expedition was much too large to travel in one group (a couple thousand people, including the Spaniards and the native support, plus who knows how many animals), so they were considerably strung out in smaller groups as they moved north through northern Mexico to Zuni, and then east and north across NM, the TX and OK panhandles, and up to Salina, KS, where they quit and returned to Mexico. They also sent some major scouting forays considerable distances into surrounding country along the way.

Mr. Madness is a cool rock face to be sure, but I'm unclear as to why you are linking it to Coronado, who came up totally empty-handed during his 1540-1542 snipe hunt. I guess you're also claiming the face is manmade, but that's hard to see from the photos.

Since you're in TX, I'm wondering if the photos were taken somewhere in the Amarillo vicinity. That's purely a guess on my part, but I know that folks have looked for KGC loot in that big canyon nearby. Those KGC-ers like faces you know.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Check out the creek bed. I can't see this all the time because of the algea, but after a real gully washer these carvings appear. There are also markings on the eyecatcher.
MD

eyecatcher.jpg

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry folks. The eyecatcher carvings are on post 4. Post 2 shows the carvings on the creek bed. MD

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
As I recall, the Coronado Expedition was much too large to travel in one group (a couple thousand people, including the Spaniards and the native support, plus who knows how many animals), so they were considerably strung out in smaller groups as they moved north through northern Mexico to Zuni, and then east and north across NM, the TX and OK panhandles, and up to Salina, KS, where they quit and returned to Mexico. They also sent some major scouting forays considerable distances into surrounding country along the way.

Mr. Madness is a cool rock face to be sure, but I'm unclear as to why you are linking it to Coronado, who came up totally empty-handed during his 1540-1542 snipe hunt. I guess you're also claiming the face is manmade, but that's hard to see from the photos.

Since you're in TX, I'm wondering if the photos were taken somewhere in the Amarillo vicinity. That's purely a guess on my part, but I know that folks have looked for KGC loot in that big canyon nearby. Those KGC-ers like faces you know.
Maybe the parties went as far as 200 miles away and maybe they didn't. Who knows?
I'm not linking it to Coronado. I merely mentioned that he had alledgedly passed through the same state a considerable distance from this location.
I never claimed it was manmade. I merely gave my opinion as to what it looks like and what it could mean. Also, the subject has the same, although highly eroded, lines from the back. And why couldn't it be manmade? People carve faces in rock all the time. It could have been an art project for some cat at the local junior college. The rough crumbly type texture of the surrounding rock is no match to the surface of Mr. Madness.

What would you need to see that would authentic the subject as manmade?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Blind.In.Texas said:
... I'm not linking it to Coronado. I merely mentioned that he had alledgedly passed through the same state a considerable distance from this location.....

Tool marks. Comparison of weathering, coloring, texture, lichen growth, etc., between manipulated area and adjacent rock. This type of thing. Sorry, with your original post about Coronado and pictures of this rock, I assumed you were wondering about a possible connection.

poorfarm

Feb 13, 2011
bit this looks like B V 5 hard to see it from this distance

Attachments

• MrMadness_1.jpg
    MrMadness_1.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 313
OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
Blind.In.Texas said:
... I'm not linking it to Coronado. I merely mentioned that he had alledgedly passed through the same state a considerable distance from this location.....

Tool marks. Comparison of weathering, coloring, texture, lichen growth, etc., between manipulated area and adjacent rock. This type of thing. Sorry, with your original post about Coronado and pictures of this rock, I assumed you were wondering about a possible connection.
Tool marks will be hard to come by, at least from the inside.

Weathering and discoloration from the inside:
Looking at the subject from behind, one can see the high water marks and the discoloration caused by torrents of dirty gritty water. Also notice how the water staining exists, from the subject side, to the adjacent wall and at approximately equal heights. From the inside, I seriously doubt any tool marks would exist. The outside is an entirely different situation. That little creek drains an area of approximately two square miles. I checked the terrain using GE. Close enough for government work.

Since the exterior walls don't seem to suffer the same abuse as the interior, the exterior remains clean and would likely be the place for confirmation marks. The exterior side of the subject has the same texture as the surrounding and adjacent rock. The same test applies to the interior side. Sometimes, I think confirmation could well be symmetry itself. After all, the subject is visible from each side. If tools marks do exist, I believe they will be found on the outside and not the inside.

As far as I know, there is no predefined confirmation mark with which to declare a monument to be authentic. Supposedly the Spanish were to confirm their monuments. If this was made by a starving artist or a college student workshop, I don't see why there would be any requirement to confirm.

This means I do not have individual marks pointing to the subject. That would be a nice find.

Symmetry tells us when a football is a football and a cross is a cross. Profiles tell us when a hummingbird is not a chicken. I think this falls into the same category.

Of course, I wonder if there is a possible connection. I also wonder exactly who did the work and why. I believe it is manmade. Question is, which man/men and when? I wouldn't be disappointed regardless of the answer. I don't think it leads to treasure or metals or anything like that. If it is 'ancient', it may just refer to a trail. However, this can not be seen from any road. There is NO WAY to see this rock without wading down the intersecting creek that the canyon flows into. Why set it up in a remote location like that if it had been done by a modern artist.

'It is here. Look down' is just taken from snippets of advice from around the web concerning monuments with eyes open/eyes closed. Honestly, I don't know what to make of it. I am just glad I found it and got to photograph it before mother nature does away with it. It's nice to look at.

Unless the work is fairly modern, I don't know if any tools marks will be found, given the volume of water that appears to flow there when it does rain. What does remain is the symmetry between the inside and the outside.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Blind.In.Texas said:
..... Honestly, I don't know what to make of it. I am just glad I found it and got to photograph it before mother nature does away with it. It's nice to look at. ....

Yeah, that's pretty much the bottom line on all these lookalike rocks, IMHO.

Faces, animals, hoodoos, balanced - all kinds of bizarre rock eyecatchers out there. Many, many thousands actually. I know a lot of folks see something like this and immediately hope it's a 'Spanish treasure marker' or some such. I will say there might be a few, very few, of these 'looks like' signs somewhere, but the general concept is illogical to me, at least as far as the 'Spanish' are concerned. Why bank your goods in some remote terra obscura and hope some later follower has the same spatial imagination that you do? Wouldn't you make your backtrail easier for a comrade to find? Another question: why did all these Spaniards leave their gold behind in the first place? Would you? The 'confirmation mark' concept is equally as silly, but then I come from the real world where 99+% of the manmade signs you find have a wide variety of explanations that have nothing to do with hidden valuables. And those rocks that look like things? Well, they're just rocks. Fun, memorable and great for discussion and laughs, but just rocks. I guess I could go on, but you probably see where I'm coming from. When 'if's' and 'buts' become candy and nuts, we'll all have a merry christmas.

Say, what about that map you were talking about on another thread?

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
Blind.In.Texas said:
..... Honestly, I don't know what to make of it. I am just glad I found it and got to photograph it before mother nature does away with it. It's nice to look at. ....

Yeah, that's pretty much the bottom line on all these lookalike rocks, IMHO.

Faces, animals, hoodoos, balanced - all kinds of bizarre rock eyecatchers out there. Many, many thousands actually. I know a lot of folks see something like this and immediately hope it's a 'Spanish treasure marker' or some such. I will say there might be a few, very few, of these 'looks like' signs somewhere, but the general concept is illogical to me, at least as far as the 'Spanish' are concerned. Why bank your goods in some remote terra obscura and hope some later follower has the same spatial imagination that you do? Wouldn't you make your backtrail easier for a comrade to find? Another question: why did all these Spaniards leave their gold behind in the first place? Would you? The 'confirmation mark' concept is equally as silly, but then I come from the real world where 99+% of the manmade signs you find have a wide variety of explanations that have nothing to do with hidden valuables. And those rocks that look like things? Well, they're just rocks. Fun, memorable and great for discussion and laughs, but just rocks. I guess I could go on, but you probably see where I'm coming from. When 'if's' and 'buts' become candy and nuts, we'll all have a merry christmas.

Say, what about that map you were talking about on another thread?
I come from the real world too. My world also happens to have a bit of fun and harmless adventure in it and along the way. At least I get off my ass and get up close and personal with nature and her critters.

Since I gave my viewpoint as to its authenticity, regardless of who made it or why, why not share with us how you know it isn't real. You did include this rock in all these 'lookalikes'. If you don't mind sharing pictures of rocks that ARE treasure related, so we can all dimiss our current understanding for a more Springfield-oriented image vocabulary, I would like to see them. Please, set the visual record straight.

I see that on this forum there are seemingly three major types of folks. Pure naysers, pure dilusionals, and opened minded individuals looking for whatever truth exists.

As I posted in the other thread, the map isn't going to be shown. I showed all I wanted to show.

BTW, I made no mention of treasure being related to the rock pictured above, either expressed of implied.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Blind.In.Texas said:
I come from the real world too. My world also happens to have a bit of fun and harmless adventure in it and along the way. At least I get off my ass and get up close and personal with nature and her critters.

Since I gave my viewpoint as to its authenticity, regardless of who made it or why, why not share with us how you know it isn't real. You did include this rock in all these 'lookalikes'. If you don't mind sharing pictures of rocks that ARE treasure related, so we can all dimiss our current understanding for a more Springfield-oriented image vocabulary, I would like to see them. Please, set the visual record straight.

I see that on this forum there are seemingly three major types of folks. Pure naysers, pure dilusionals, and opened minded individuals looking for whatever truth exists.

As I posted in the other thread, the map isn't going to be shown. I showed all I wanted to show.

BTW, I made no mention of treasure being related to the rock pictured above, either expressed of implied.

Slow down, Hoss - I'm not trashing you or your rock, I'm just offering advice. You're one of the few posters in this category who doesn't seem to be so easily programmable, which is good. Fun and adventure? When you plan your weekend activities, it's not fun and adventure - it's a hobby. When you sacrifice too much time and too many opportunities for your activities, then you may have an adventure, but chances are it won't be harmless.

My purpose for posting here is to encourage serious people to be discerning about the subject at hand. You can visit my old posts and realize this. You may even see some genuine treasure signs posted among them too. There's treasure out there all right, but things are seldom as they seem. You can fish the public domain for your answers, but most of it is disinformation. If all you want is a hobby, then I guess it doesn't matter - but if you're looking for the truth of things, why would you expect it to be readily available?

You found a great face out there and, excuse me, but I would say you are definitely implying it's 'treasure related' because the title of this forum category is "Treasure Marks/Signs". Maybe it is treasure related, but you have to have a reason to believe it is. By the way, your face looks similar to the one below (provided to me by a friend).

Attachments

• skull.jpg
    skull.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 269

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello springfield, good thinking in that most monuments, symbols, carvings, and marks are trail markers and should be considered as such. There was no road maps in those days except for a few that was for a specific area, and then you would find dots to de code

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Charades are the answer here......Grim? maybe some clues in one of the Grim fairy tales. Just a thought.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread