Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a neat tree we found today and we are wondering if maybe its a trail tree? It is a burr oak tree, and measures about 64" around/circumference. I've tried to estimate the age of the tree and think maybe its about 100 years old? I know most Indian trail trees were used to point the way to a water supply or maybe a cave, but this tree actually sits next to the creek, right along the creek bank. We did a little metal detecting near the base of the tree and I found a cool old pocket knife from Tulsa Rig and Reel Mfg. Co. The knife has celluloid handles. I need help in dating the knife....I found some information on the Tulsa Rig/Reel company that said it started business in the early 1900's. Here's info. from the Oklahoma Historical Society's Website:
TULSA RIG, REEL AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY (FLINTCO)
The Tulsa Rig, Reel and Manufacturing Company (TRR) was established in 1908 in Tulsa as a supplier of oil-field equipment, rig timbers, and lumber for oil field construction. In 1911 Charles W. Flint (1884-1950) became associated with the company, and by 1919 he and Roy Lundy (1877-1956) assumed its ownership. They expanded its operation, which at peak operated thirty-one oil-field lumber yards in Oklahoma. In 1938 the partners established a general construction division. With the advent of World War II TRR became deeply involved in military construction, building a training camp at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, and air bases at both Dodge City and Garden City, Kansas. In 1944 Flint became sole owner of the company, and by the time of his death on August 5, 1950, the company was disposing of its oil-field lumberyards and opening home builder supply centers in both Denver, Colorado, and Tulsa, as well as continuing in the general construction business. In 1972 when the company name was changed to Flintco, Inc., as one of the Flint Industries' group of companies, they disposed of their building supply operation and focused on general construction. At the beginning of the twenty-first century Flintco continued to be owned by the Flint family and was the second largest construction company in Oklahoma, behind Manhattan. Flintco had offices in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Tennessee, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Sacramento, California, and Springfield, Missouri

When were celluloid handles used on pocket knives? 1920's or 30's?
When following a trail tree, do you follow the elbow of the tree or the knot? or both? The tree and main trunk points northeast. And another thing, next to this trail tree is a smaller tree with a blaze mark on the bottom--it almost looks like somebody tried to carve something into the blaze. I'm going to post some pictures and look forward to any opinions you guys and gals might have!

Attachments

• IMG_1522 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1522 (650x488).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,474
  • IMG_1525 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1525 (650x488).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,475
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1541 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1541 (650x488).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,420
  • IMG_1539 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1539 (650x488).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_1537 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1537 (650x488).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,407
  • IMG_1535 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1535 (650x488).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,433
  • IMG_1534 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1534 (650x488).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,409
  • IMG_1531 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1531 (650x488).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,438
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another view of trail tree:

Attachments

• IMG_1551 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1551 (650x488).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,447
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tree with "blaze" mark:

Attachments

• IMG_1546 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1546 (650x488).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,434
  • IMG_1552 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1552 (650x488).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,437
  • IMG_1549 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1549 (650x488).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,417

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Cool pics :thumbsup: I would love to see one of these treasure sign posts lead to an actual treasure! Best of luck to you and happy hunting.

Charlie

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
What a lovely example of a trail tree. It is a knock out. Thank you for sharing. Simply spectacular.. the best example of a modified tree I have ever seen. What a treasure!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dog said:
wow, thanks for sharing sandcreek4, great photos. iam sure it has some type of meaning.nice stuff.
dogtth
:icon_thumright: Thanks dogtth....I'm sure it has some kind of meaning too, but we're going to have to wait until the grass dies back a little this winter to "follow" the direction of the tree. The poison ivy/oak is really bad all along the creek where this tree is growing.
savant365 said:
Cool pics :thumbsup: I would love to see one of these treasure sign posts lead to an actual treasure! Best of luck to you and happy hunting.

Charlie
Me too, Charlie!!
That little knife was something of a 'treasure' find for me. I also found one of the blades (from it) a few feet away. They must have broke their knife and then threw it down. I told my sister, "well this proves that someone was really here"!
desertmoons said:
What a lovely example of a trail tree. It is a knock out. Thank you for sharing. Simply spectacular.. the best example of a modified tree I have ever seen. What a treasure!
It is a pretty cool looking tree, huh, desertmoons? And really been manipulated by something other than nature. If its about 100yrs old, it will fit right in the timeframe of when we think there were people at or near this site.
Thanks everyone!! :hello:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoss KGC said:
Nice find. I too found a very similar knife like that in Arkansas. At first I didn't think it had anything to do with the KGC, but it was underneath a sizable rock, not just in the ground so I'm pretty sure it was placed there.

Not all trees point at anything. Some are just giving a bearing. If it is pointing at anything, I have found that you follow the way it points most of the time. I've also found something going the opposite way it points before as well. I have not found anything following the direction of the blaze. From my experience, the blaze is either giving another bearing, or it is used to identify the tree in the carvings associated with the layout.
Good luck,
Big Hoss
Oh, good, Hoss, I was hoping you would give me an opinion on this tree :thumbsup: !
This tree may tie in with some of the other marks we've found.

Thank you so much, Hoss!!

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sandcreek and Hoss,

In relation to the bend of the tree, where was the knife found, how far away.

If you found another similar tree where would you look for a clue.

May you find what your heart desires. Thank you.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pala Y Pico said:
Hi Sandcreek and Hoss,

In relation to the bend of the tree, where was the knife found, how far away.

If you found another similar tree where would you look for a clue.

May you find what your heart desires. Thank you.
Hi Pala Y Pico--here's a picture showing the area where the knife was found. It was in the ground next to the tree, and approx. 4 inches down....Like Hoss said about the knife he found, I wasn't really sure it had anything to do with the tree, but it was a neat find and proved to me that someone had definitely been there.
We're going to follow the direction the tree points to and see if we come across anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_1522 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1522 (650x488).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,387

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandcreek, I don`t know enough to advice you, but I`ll do it any way.

The knife has the same shape in my mind as the shape of the underside of the tree bend. A doorway.... who knows, but just something to checkout if you have the energy. LOL

Thank you. :coffee2:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like it might have been a great place to take a sweetheart for a picnic . . .

On the other hand, I used to hunt from some of those trees.

I can tell you that the tree probably marks a campsite. Two uprights mark a place, one upright a direction.

It could also mark an underwater spring in that body of water - one that flows even when the creek is dry.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chadeaux said:
Looks like it might have been a great place to take a sweetheart for a picnic . . .

On the other hand, I used to hunt from some of those trees.

I can tell you that the tree probably marks a campsite. Two uprights mark a place, one upright a direction.

It could also mark an underwater spring in that body of water - one that flows even when the creek is dry.
There are actually 3 uprights on this tree....I don't know if you can tell that in the pictures or not.
Thanks Chadeaux.

Hoss KGC said:
My knife wasn't as nice as yours. Here are a few other things around it as well.
Big Hoss
Hoss--was your knife under the rock in the second picture?

Attachments

• IMG_1532 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1532 (650x488).jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,342
  • IMG_1551 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_1551 (650x488).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,157

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Should have said 2 or more marks a site. If memory serves, 3 is a water tree so, probably a spring.

What's funny is folks always get confused about the direction the tree is pointing because they don't grasp the simplicity.

BTW, I hope you can return the knife to the young man who lost it, because it isn't treasure related. Be careful digging around the roots. Probably pretty old. If in OK, still could be trail marker tree - lots of Indians there.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoss KGC said:
sandcreek4 said:
Hoss--was your knife under the rock in the second picture?
Yes

Here's a tree with 3 vertical limbs. I doubt very much neither your nor my tree has anything to do with how to find water.
I doubt it too, Hoss.....especially because my tree sits almost on top of the creek :wink: . Its good to know all the meanings of such trees so we can understand when we come across one that does point to water, though.
As a matter of fact, I've even found a trail tree that points to a natural spring on the side of a hill.....this tree had lots of Indian signs around it too, so I know that's what it was for. Here's a picture of the "spring" tree.
Thanks Hoss~~

Attachments

• IMG_2540 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_2540 (650x488).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,409
  • IMG_2540 (650x488).jpg
    IMG_2540 (650x488).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,249
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Sorry for playing the "devils advocate" here... but, why can't a deformed tree just be a deformed tree?

No folks, the Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC) did not ride around the countryside in the 1860s creating bent-tree saplings that would point to a "treasure" in 2011.

Think about what you guys are saying/typing and apply a little bit of logic.
;D You can play the "devils advocate" if ya want, SWR---you even sound like my husband, he doesn't believe in this kind of stuff either.
Wouldn't it be neat though if this tree really did point to treasure? Isn't it kinda fun to think that maybe somebody was there at one time and made that tree "deformed" for a reason? To me, the enjoyment of all this treasure hunting is about looking for things that are out of place, like odd shaped trees------and if I hadn't noticed that odd shaped tree, I wouldn't have found that cool old knife.
You say "No, the KGC didn't create this tree to point to treasure"-----But how do you KNOW they didn't? You weren't there when this tree was formed. And they same goes for me--I don't KNOW that the KGC did this, but this is fun to me---its all about enjoying the hunt. Going out to the woods and looking for signs of people long gone--wondering what they might have lost or buried. Finding out the history of our land and researching the people who once lived here. Finding out if they were sympathetic to the South or loyal to the Union.
There was so much going on in Oklahoma during the late 1800's---this was a hotbed for outlaws. Not to mention the Indians. This tree could be a sign left by them. I won't ever know though if I don't follow it to see--and what does that hurt?

But you know, its cool if you don't believe, SWR, I don't think any less of you for it :notworthy: :headbang: :hello:.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
But you know, its cool if you don't believe, SWR, I don't think any less of you for it :notworthy: :headbang: :hello:.

I do think that's the nicest reply I've seen to any of SWR's posts. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Chadeaux said:
sandcreek4 said:

I do think that's the nicest reply I've seen to any of SWR's posts. :icon_thumright:

LMAO. Hey, Carmon, did you have to take a double dose of Pepto Bismal after writing that??
You DO KNOW that SWR is a sentinel don't you?
No Bill I didn't have to take any Pepto for that remark---I even smiled when I typed it :D .
And I've often wondered if SWR was a Sentinel, but that might be really HARD to PROVE :tongue3: !!
No sense in getting mad about other peoples opinions, that doesn't hurt anyone but you.

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
Shortstack said:
Chadeaux said:
sandcreek4 said:

LMAO. Hey, Carmon, did you have to take a double dose of Pepto Bismal after writing that??
You DO KNOW that SWR is a sentinel don't you?
No Bill I didn't have to take any Pepto for that remark---I even smiled when I typed it :D .
And I've often wondered if SWR was a Sentinel, but that might be really HARD to PROVE :tongue3: !!
No sense in getting mad about other peoples opinions, that doesn't hurt anyone but you.
Love it, Sis! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread