Map on tree? Northwest Georgia

ndurr11

Jul 15, 2013
I'm more interested in rock piles like the one pictured than gold (seems too good to be true). I am interested in finding a cave near Brasstown Bald called Spruce Cave that is an old Indian place that was used during the civil war by Union County (name not a coincidence) men used to hide from the home guard that would come up from White county. No rumors of gold,just historical interest in it. Anyone hear of this? Or any rock piles, petroglyphs that you know about?

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not heard of the cave called Spruce Cave, sorry.

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found some good stuff here. I would not give up on this area yet. If anything it is fun to get out in the woods and explore and get the blood moving. Those carvings in the tree led you to that cave/mine, that is huge in itself. At one point it could have been completely hidden, someone in the past found and opened it up.

Someone asked why there would be carvings on the tree if the mine ended up nothing and they gave up on it. The carvings could have been used just so they knew how to get back to the mine while they were digging it, as that would have taken some time. So that is one realistic option, it turned out to be nothing...

But for fun, icefly could be onto something. The end of that cave does look to be somewhat cemented, or caliched or whatever it is called... And the map on the tree showed 3 different chambers all connected in same tunnel. But there is no way I can condone you somehow knocking that wall down to see, will be extremely unsafe. or maybe drill through for some kind of verification on how thick it is... if it opens up into a void, etc. But my god be careful if you do any of this, actually I am officially telling you not to do this ;)

You can at least and should metal detect the heck out of that cave, maybe even with a deep seeker. Wouldnt hurt... I know certain detectors can find voids in the earth, maybe they can find voids through the caliche on other side...

ramblings over

mdavis3238

Greenie
Nov 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI did you ever go back??? I would be interested in exploring it with you I have a small lighted camera.. that if we find a small hole can place camera thru and see whats behind plug..
the cam on flexiable tube about a ft long.. let me Know.. [email protected]

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty sure this one is dead. But WOW TC, re-read your comment above and that is some funny stuff! I actually recently watched Return of the Jedi and in scene 12 I noticed some carvings on the Mellenium Falcon - some initials and a cross. could be related to this. maybe chewie's crossbow doodles, not sure.

scottsearches

Oct 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can the poster or anyone else give specific directions to this location in what appears, from the description, to be in the Cohutta Wilderness Area? I would like to visit and photograph for an article.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions