Map on tree? Northwest Georgia

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Standing on the east bank of large creek in the Cohutta Mountains of northwest Georgia stands a huge beech tree with this (and other) symbols carved on it. Just upstream from this tree and the same side of the creek is a cave entrance (cave is sealed about 10' in). Just past the cave on the same side of the creek, a smaller creek empties into the main creek.

It fits with this marking exactly. Don't know if cave has 3 chambers and a rear entrance per the possible "map".

Attachments

• IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 1,763

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, pingdis. Be very careful about how you go about opening up that cave. The possibility of a booby trap is very real. I don't think anyone would seal up a cave / mine without a very good reason. Too much work to do it just for "grins". :coffee2:

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good point on the booby trap. Not really sure if it is a cave or mine. Here is photo of view into cave standing at the entrance.

Attachments

• sealed_cave.jpg
    sealed_cave.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,899

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pingdis:
I adjusted the lighting and contrast a little and there seems to be some more info on that plug rock. Looks like some "pecked" dots and about 4 LARGE inverted "V"s.

sealed_cave-pingdis.jpg

poorfarm

Feb 13, 2011
pingdis to the left of top chamber on tree is a skull
there are no there to
if it is a back door the main entrance is a trap
there should be some kind of symbol to determine that

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you saying the skull indicates a trap at the front entrance (at the creek end)?

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a view of the entrance from the creek:

Attachments

• cave_entrance.jpg
    cave_entrance.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1,878
OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On another beech tree right next to the tree with the "map" is this:

Attachments

• tree_symbols.jpg
    tree_symbols.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 1,949

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Welcome to the forums!

Wow man great pics. Being able to match the map tree up with the sorrounding territory is outstanding. If thats the case then the 3 dots in the cave are telling you something.

The markings on the other tree will be just as important.

I would scour the inside of that cave looking for any other signs. Yes, a trap is certainly possible, so beware.

HAve you tried looking for the rear entrance?

I think we need Hoss KGC to have a look at this thread. I'll PM him....

sanguine

Greenie
Sep 30, 2011
Hi,

Okay gonna give this a shot...

In the oval, does it look like a mule, or Indian brave weeping, while looking at the boulder blocking the entrance ?

Just an observation that jumped out at me, I could be completely off here...

Good luck with this site it looks like there is a lot to be learned here. Be Careful.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CT - I haven't yet looked for a rear entrance, and I had no flashlight at the time, just my smartphone to take some photos.

Upstream on the main creek, and past the side creek that comes in, are half a dozen large distinct rock piles with grapefruit or larger sized rocks on the same side as the cave.

Also, several other nearby beech trees have other markings. 1 of them is just covered with them. I tried taking a photo but they are really hard to see.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the rock piles:

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 1,755

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi pingdis, This might be pareidolia/pendejadas.

I see a face looking at something on the floor entrance. A sign or..... have fun, but be careful.

Attachments

• sealed_cave[1].jpg
    sealed_cave[1].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,501

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The beech trees with the carvings are referred to as "Witness Trees". Take a look at this: http://www.witnesstrees.org/home.html

There is an old story that says, before the removal in the 1830's, the Cherokee gathered up all of their gold and silver and placed it into a mountain cave. Some say the cave already existed, some say the Cherokee dug the cave.

According to the tale, the cave was sealed and covered after it was filled. Much time was spent backfilling the entrance with earth as well as covering the entrance so that it would not be easily found.

The tale further states that that cave is why there were marker trees were left on the trail of tears, to mark their way back to Georgia where the treasure was buried.

Just an old story.

Have fun. Be VERY careful.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I guess it looks like a blocked entrance to me too. Given it is black when the surrounding matrix is tan, there would be some reason for that in my mind.

I speculate black means danger as others have posted elsewhere.

It looks like there is some carving on the block rock.

It looks kind of nasty in there with fungi and mold. You might consider a mask and wear rubber gloves.

Attachments

• sealed_cave.jpg
    sealed_cave.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,385
OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to revisit the site this weekend. Also plan to test the creek for gold, as gold mining was known to occur in the region.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After a second visit to this cave, I feel this may have been an exploratory mine. And there is no plug or seal, but just the end of the mine. I think the ones who opened this were mining for gold or silver, and having found none, stopped working about 15 feet inside. The only interesting feature inside this structure was an obvious torch mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions