Outlaw/Bandit Markings?

P

phxAZ

I'm well aware of Spanish, Mexican, Indian (more ot less cultural groups) and their usage of markings, often being moderately standardized and such to mark trails, treasure, mines and the likes. I've read quite a bit of info on the symbols and such associated with them. However, was there any type of marking favored by outlaws (particularly the Southwest) to mark their trails, caches, routes, etc?

I'm anticipating there really isn't a distinctive pattern, but I would not be surprised if there was, being methods of doing things and communication (in a general sense) are handed down through generations. I'm just curious if there is anything specific one would look out for attributed to pioneers and/or outlaws.

For example, would it be more expected that the carvings were in trees versus rocks?
Did outlaws use markings nearly as much, or was it more recall and/or traditional map?
Were markers generally as cryptic as, like say looking through a hole in a rock at a certain time of day?
Did outlaws, usually not having the man power or equipment, do things such as moving very large rocks into place as pointers a top other rocks?

I think you get the point of question... hehe

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread