fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
djui5,

"Have you looked around to see what else is in the area?"

I did a cursory kinda looksee.
As you can see in the next two pics (lay of the land)
In first pic you see tree in foreground may have a sign carved
(rock can be seen behind and left).
In second you can see tree with view of background.
DSC00092.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

There are other things that we've found that seem to point to the rock.

Gollum,

Damn good try, betcha Fred had a reverb in that badboy, I thinkin' Big Leaner.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure! Look closely!
Two cupholders for the front passengers, a cellie holder in the middle, and one cupholder for the backseat passenger!

Mike

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
No real ideas, just wanted to say that is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!

The first picture sorta reminds me of a pokemon. (sheesh, the things kids do to a perfectly good brain)

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
fng68 said:
djui5,

"Have you looked around to see what else is in the area?"

I did a cursory kinda looksee.
As you can see in the next two pics (lay of the land)
In first pic you see tree in foreground may have a sign carved
(rock can be seen behind and left).
In second you can see tree with view of background.

Hmm...beats me. Did you see what that tree carving is at the top? It seems to be behind the bark a little bit. This whole thing is wild!!

OP
OP
fng68

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
djui5,
I haven't looked under that bark yet,next trip.
there are different carvings on the rock itself,
numbers,letters etc.
My problem is trying to figure out if they are original.
E.g.this pic will show a "FS or F5"on right

DSC00087.jpg

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and the plot thickens! :o

I'd suggest trying to clean the moss of that rock and white chalking all the markings, new or old. Don't ask me how to clean the moss off, I live in AZ, and moss is the last thing you'll find here. I'd see snow first! ;D

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
Noticed the reflections of the trees in that last pic, is there anything in the reflections you can see that is a permanent feature, like a mt. large rock or maybe the tree carving, sorta like a mirror message? Mayhave to walk around it and see what shows up in each hole from different places. What about the moon or sun, maybe its some sort of sundial.... it is very interesting.

edited to add:

My boyfriend thinks the vee crack looks like the tree carving, notice the forks in both.

OP
OP
fng68

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
djui5,
good idea ,next time I'll clean moss and chalk all marks.

arkobnrs,
those are some great ideas.
Like a peep sight to acquire a sight picture from aiming a gun,great suggestion!
Tell your boyfriend thanks and we'll check that out much better too.
This object must have taken a great deal of time to make.
I just have a hard time thinking it was just for fun.

Ron

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
it was not for fun..ever try carving something on a rock ? way too much like work just to carve a few letters.........i seriously doubt it is of indian origin, not only because of the square but because of the perfectness of it........clear the rock off and see what else is on it...the letters/numbers, unless something like '' bobby loves sally, 12/25/25'' would lead me to really check it out fully.....

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
My guess would be an old property marker(corner?). Drill holes (D.H.)were commonly employed in rocks or other unnatural marks in rocks were used. This would explain Ron's observation of a perfect N/S alignment. Property markers were important hence the time, expense and effort to make this unusual marker rock. Perhaps holes were used by Surveyors? square one for wood post??? The original deed of the property would be a place to check.
Do not move it until you are certain of it's origin.

P.S. Tree Blazes(oval shaped) axe cuts were used to mark property too. I have seen some of these in the East. Usually on a large tree which was not harvested with the rest of the timber in the past.

George

OP
OP
fng68

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
gldhnt,
I have to agree, this is way to complicated to be something as trivial as "for fun".

bakergeol,
Another possibility, thank you for more ammo to control my imagination.
I have heard stories of Confederate soldiers e.g. Morgan.
Who, from what I gathered, was in the neighborhood.
But from what I've heard, he was kind of in a hurry.......unless.
Well hell,that's what makes us tune in here.
I love a good mystery!!!

Ron

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
if holes are only 3 inches deep i doubt the post theory....although i can see property marker but it seems alot of work where you could just plant a post/lay a big rock or pile of rocks....man you are talking many many hours to cut the holes..the round ones would be easier with some type drill apparatus but the square one would be a job......judging from the compass the holes must be what, 8-10 inches across each ?...if a survey marker i would think it was a pretty important line.........

OP
OP
fng68

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
gldhntr,

Agreed, I have done a little research, not a property marker.
Unless it was an indian marker. (before records)
If that were the case,why are no others around.
I don't know what to think.
I do think that bakergeol is looking at it from the most logical
position which, at first blush, makes sense.
I'm not so sure after being there and seeing this thing.
It would stand to reason,if I were making a property marker,
why would I put it in the hardest place in the county to get to and see.
You got to hump one heck of a hill, more like a mesa.
I can't see a reason to go up there.

As djui5 so aptly said " the plot thickens".

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
I have had another thought, maybe it is a rock alter. two circles together for god and godess, square for the four directions, and the other circle for.......something i haven't thought of. OR three circles representing the godess, maiden, mother, and crone.... just a thought.

Interesting article although it doesn't exactly apply: http://www.llewellynencyclopedia.com/article/4293

Might explain its hard to reach area, if a shaman or pagan were the one creating and or using it......

Are there any symbols carved into the bottom of the holes?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
look around to see if you spot 3 large boulders in area laid out like the three round holes, or possibly look on terraclient/windows live/maptech for three ponds laid out as such....just a possibility....something about the square hole....may possibly be showing mine location ? there are several straight down shafts that were dug square at caraway mountain in nc...it was a big gold mining area before civil war.......maybe when you get the rock cleaned up there will be enough other symbols on it that someone can figure it out.....g

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
This is fun! I joined this group in July..just enough time to read some of Jacko's posts and all of his wonderful markings on rocks, terrain etc. I noticed several peculiar markings on this rock.

I have enclosed 2 photos: There are numbers and a possible large S inscribed on rock. On each side of the rock as marked, the indentions could indicate it was supporting somethings, posts maybe leaning on an item. The almost flat section in between the two indentions this also could have been carved out to lean or support something.

Hope you can understand my posts....

Thanks

River

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
By the way what state is this located in? Ohio my old MD area? That would eliminate any lost mine stories> FS could be Feet South which even today is used to discuss geographic position. Look for a number before the FS. Early surveyors? You might try to locate this on a topo map or even a land ownership map to see if it's position makes any sense.

George

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
old deeds would as marking out property often refer to a certain thing like, '' big white oak, or large flat rock'' or other things as markers like they would always be there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions