Unusal Rock

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Good eye bytheriver, that looks like a "yin yang" ? you circled. I was unable to locate the other posts that had the rocks with circles carved in them but I'll keep looking.

kenb

OP
OP
fng68

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
arkobnrs,
Yea I never thought of some coven or something.

gldhntr,
I checked the hilltop, not real good but so so, nothing yet.
As you can see in the pics last time I was there the leaves were
in the way.
I've checked topo, sat,poi.'s, nothing yet.
But still searching.... I gotta spend more time there.

bytheriver,
good find, fresh eyes really help.
you're right this is fun to anyone who enjoys a challenge.

Bakergeol,
I'll need to discuss that with my MD partner,he may not feel
comfortable saying where it is. I hope you understand my position.
I have not tried land plats yet,but I will. thanks

gldhntr,
yes I've seen those things mentioned,along with, rods,chains,etc.
pretty wild.

alabama,
yes, I would say it's natural.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLA: K down here we have many rocks with those type of round holes near an old water course. Many are made by water action, some have been utilized later as natural mortars for grinding.

One slab near the river has over 40 of these holes of different sizes. In one an Indian saw a fire and upon cleaning out the top layer of gravel, found it full of Gold Coins. He now is the owner of the surrounding land.

However the square hole is very curious, it must have been man made, for what purpose ?

Tropical Tramp

OP
OP
fng68

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
Hola TT,

Yes I believe this was all man made.
Sure is alot of work if it's not important.
If nothing else it's the coolest rock I ever saw!

Ron

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Found the numbers 3, 5, or could be an S and 2 circles as well as a heart. All indicated with arrows.

Hope this photo is accepted, I keep formatting since it is too large.

Love this rock, hope someone figures it out.

River

Attachments

• Unusual Rock 3.JPG
    Unusual Rock 3.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,816

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Tried again this time with arrows.

Rivers

Attachments

• Unusual Rock 4 with symbols.jpg
    Unusual Rock 4 with symbols.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,766
B

BatMan

for the carvings You might look at the Sequoia's Cherokee alphabet , their are several versions.
What area is ths tree & rock from? This group travled / driven from east to west
also see "Trail Of Tears"

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would be cool if it was Cherokee! I'm part Cherokee :)

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
HI;
This is a very interesting rock, I really hope you find some tool marks inside the square once you have cleaned it. If you are hunting near the Kentucky, tenn border I would appreciate a p.m. Wish you luck with your endevor.By the way I don't think a cherokee english dictionary will help in your quest as I have one copied from the one in the museum in chicago and browsed through it today. Since your numbers and letters on the rock are in english I cant see it helping. Anyway goodluck and HH.Bob

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Borrow or buy a GPS unit. Take a reading at the stone in both venues. Get a 7&1/2 minute topo and place your marker dead on it. Now check where the lines are pointing.
If it is a borrowed GPS, remove the batteries and reinstall them to "clear it".<G>
What can you see the stones lines pointing to. Can you see hills that could be the holes? If so, where would the square lie?
Just ideas for you to think about.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
I may be way off,but it looks like it may have been "standing" at one time,if up right it takes on the look of a "mask"? Look at the bottom,apprears to have more of it,maybe standing or on top of another object? The square hole(where the nose would be) may have held something else made from different material. ??

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you from oklahoma or arkansas? Just curious. From what I can tell in the picture the insides of each of the indentations maintain a similar, if not rougher, texture than the overall stone surface, indicating to me NOT a natural grinding of water swirling rocks over another rock surface. I can not explain the square.

In your favor, I have seen many many of the swirls in stone surfaces. They are always smooth in texture. One in particular is approximately 8 feet in depth and almost 3 feet across. When I was at that river this past July the tumbler was empty and getting out of it when it is dry requires a rock climbing technique called the chimney. The problem with that is that the technique requires lots of leg room. If not enough leg room is available then brute strength is required to stick to the walls. Believe me it is not easy. The black stone of the river does not offer much in the way of traction.

Typically the rocks I have seen are very large with some sort of flattened or "dented" surface. I have never seen small rock with small tumblers. I have, however, seen only quite large rocks with large and small small tumblers on them. Some as small as 2" - 3" across and a couple of inches deep.

Look around the base of that rock for small pieces of rounded stone. I feel that this rock was dry-rubbed considering the above mentioned surface condition inside the hole in the original picture and the elevation of the stone. The geometry of the whole setup is very interesting. I appears to me to be a triangle formed by the circles with special emphasis on the square. The numbers and characters may well have something to do with measurements in an area represented by that square. I think that maye your circles are landmarks and what it all represents is in the valley below where that rock is. Get yourself a topographical map of that area and look for any indications of the three highest points. Doesn't need to be extremely high.

The box may be for "boxcanyon".

Or it could just be some lonely country boys idea of a practical joke on backpackers.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
I am very curious about this rock...so, I thank you for posting a great explanation.

At this point the square seems to throw out lots of ideas. Maybe you place a square block of salt lick in it!

By the River

D

dowser501

Was watching national geographic channel tonight and on a Polynesian island on a large flat rock were your two circular holes. Polynesians wouldn't get to the USA easily < but Spanish Jesuits who frequented all Pacific Islands for two centuries did. Plus a couple of nites ago I was watching a re run of the pearl harbor attack and spotted a Jesuit treasure marker tree for a few seconds. There are other markings on your rock that are Jesuit , so i reckon that TV show tonight cleared up the mysteries of the holes carved out of rock and identified it as definitely jesuit.if I am right re reading it, it is looking at us in the east and the rear is in the west??? Regards Max

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Dowser

Replayed the Pearl Harbor program. What part of the program did you spot the brief clip of the "Jesuit Tree"?

Which marks on the rock are Jesuit marks?

What is the name of the program where I can see the two holes in a rock? I work at the University and can replay all the programs.

So tell me, what were the two holes used for. This rock has me very curious...

Thanks
River

D

dowser501

The pearl harbor clip was with locals gazing up into the sky at jap planes flying overhead.It was in the background, however I dont think you would spot it as you dont know what a jesuit marker tree looks like.

The other clip was an explorer in an Indonesian island rainforest.It was a large flat rock weighing many tons and two circular holes virtually identical to our sample on this forum.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Dowser

Remember, you sent me several samples of Jesuit trees; one on the Negev Desert and also one in Australia.

I search for Indian Thong Trees. The Missouri Ozarks are full of them, but not for long. Construction and the entertainment business are in full bloom and many of the trees have been cut down for lack of knowledge.

There are a few enthusiasts who are attempting to save and mark the trees.

Your posts on Jesuit Trees expanded my thinking and added more excitement on the search for the Indian Trail Markers left for us to appreciate in this century.

Did you figure out what the holes in the rock were used for?

I appreciate reading your posts and I “Thank you “

River

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions