Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing a little scouting, hubby came across this really neat rock today. We're in awe of the perfect shaped star...but what is it? What's it for? Wonder how old it is...how did get there? :dontknow:

2012-03-18_16-16-15_65.jpg

2012-03-18_16-16-00_135.jpg

2012-03-18_16-16-32_782.jpg

2012-03-18_16-16-54_745.jpg

2012-03-18_16-15-47_985.jpg

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Clay Lindsay has a carving that has the same features in Ariz, its a cross if memory serves me Maltese cross , could also be a concealed drill hole. I would work it as a drill hole untill something else came along, because of the dimensions, perhaps inverting the colors would give a clue

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not concrete, Daddy. It's limestone. Located on the bottom side of a small mountain along with a lot of other large rocks. It's pretty cool, but we have no idea who could have made that or why.
Dsty: I'm not sure what you mean by a 'drill hole'. :P I'll google Clay Lindsay and maybe catch a picture or two of their find. :)
Thanks!!
Nana :hello:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40:
Clay Lindsey is a member of this forum who has done some work on drill holes. I see you're a charter member, so just do a site search of him and "drill holes". :coffee2:

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, SS. :hello:
I did scroll down and saw the pics Clay posted. Neat to know there are others around....but what are they for? :D Scouting around in the woods is all but over this time of year here, but I do see where there may be a need to go back there and check out the surrounding area.
Thanks for the pm, dsty. :)
Nana :)

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the altered pics for dsty. Also, as far as a Maltese cross..doesn't that have four sides? This one has five. :dontknow:
Keep in mind that know practically nothing in the area of signs, symbols and drops of water. ;D I did however sleep at the Holiday Inn Express once. :D
2012-03-18_16-16-32_782.jpg

2012-03-18_16-16-15_65.jpg

2012-03-18_16-16-00_135.jpg

All kidding aside, I do thank you for taking a look at this post.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may be over thinking it. When rock was blasted for railroads, road construction, civil projects, or quarrying they placed a rod and smacked it with sledges. The rod eventually drilled a hole - somethimes 10 feet deep or more. Sometimes instead of blasting it was simply filled with water and the freezing shatterred the rock. I note your rock has a nice, crisp line where it was quarried (under the boot heel in the image)

Your example is a star pattern bit.

See the link below.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment...lications/fs_publications/84232602/page01.cfm

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Charlie P! That would make more sense. But...that star bit looks to only have four sides. How do we explain away that this rock has five? The freezing of the water in the hole? It just seems too...perfect. That's a very nice link you sent by the way. :icon_thumright:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Different bit. That is just one example out of thousands. Just as not every hammer head looks alike; but they all function pretty much the same. Every company shop likely have bought the tool steel and then fashioned their own. :dontknow:

When the country was joined by rail one of the huge problems was that there was no standard gauge. If they didn't have that figured out they probably didn't all use the same bit head shapes. :D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The star drills didn't leave a hole shaped like this in it's normal use. When used, the drill holder would turn the drill bit SLIGHTLY between each hit from the hammer. That basic technique would leave a ROUND hole, not a hole with many notches. With a hole, like in Nana's photo, the notches are chiseled in specifically and purposefully. Nana has a very good question about WHY it was done that way, here. There are examples of drill holes that have been posted in other threads, that have "pull" notches to indicate a specific direction to look / travel.

If all the notches in Nana's find are equal; could it be the hub of a compass rose indicating the line of travel on specific courses? If one of the notches is longer, is THAT one the "pull" notch? Conversely, if one notch is SHORTER than the rest, is THAT one the "pull" sign?

OR, was this hole drilled to be the anchor point for a vertical shaft, with spines, that was intended to be held in one position and not allowed to turn about it's vertical axis?

Aggravating isn't it?? ;D :coffee2:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ooooo k. Easier to believe someone spent hours to carefully place an aligned hole in a rock with five cardinal compass points instead of four than that it was just a happenstance quarrying relic.

I'm out.
HeadSlapSmiley-2.gif

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P,

You are exactly correct. It is a star drill hole.

Shortstack,

Star drill holes look rounder when they were made by hand hammering 200 years ago. Modern air/hydraulic/electric hammer drills leave pentagonal shaped holes.

All anybody has to do is Google "Star Drill Hole". On the first page is this picture (see below). The website of the picture is:

http://everypicturetellastorydontit.blogspot.com/2011_11_27_archive.html

Best - Mike

Attachments

• STAR DRILL CLOSE UP.jpg
    STAR DRILL CLOSE UP.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14,545

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good enough, Mike. :coffee2:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries. Just when hand hammering, the bit can be turned slightly so as to make the hole round. When using a pneumatic hammer drill it shows a more pentagonal
or squarish hole because the bit cuts much deeper faster than by hand.

Mike

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Yeah, the hole shown is modern, using some sort of impact (non-rotary) machine. Anyone who has used hand steel to drill a hole in rock knows that the hole has to come out round.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Spring. That's what I was going by. A little bit of knowledge I picked up in Combat Engineers School, 1965, but no long time experience. :))) We had the air tools, but had to learn the "manual" way first. LOL

nana40hubby

Jan 16, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nana40
Not saying that this is any treasure sign or anything like that but I have never seen any kind of hole that is made via impact driver, be it manual or pneumatic, to leave a hole with the insides this smooth. By the way I understand what Shortstack is saying because I have used a star bit in my job hand drilling and was taught to turn between blows with the hammer and every hole I ever drilled was an awful mess. That is not to say that it can't happen but I have never seen it. When you examine the hole in person (hard to show via pictures taken with a phone) the insides are PERFECT. It does appear on the surface to have some impact signs on it but you would think that a pneumatic drill would have made much larger chips on the surface. I personally think someone went to a lot of trouble to CONFUSE me! :)

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
nana's husband, are there other things on the rock / in the area / are there any signs of construction in the area like a wal-mart store. Im out

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nana's husband, are there other things on the rock / in the area / are there any signs of construction in the area like a wal-mart store. Im out

If there IS a Wal-Mart in the area, you can bet the star drill was made in China. (I was going to insert a smilie here, but the new crop of smilies sux. They must be Chinese, too)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread