A turtle rock ?

confuzed

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture that looked interesting to me, but I don't know much about treasure signs so this could be just more interesting natural rocks.
I took these pictures last Fall while out Elk hunting, it was early morning and the sun was just coming up and I looked up at the rocks I was walking by and saw what looked like a turtle sitting
on a rock silhouetted against the morning sky, and just below and to the right of the turtle was a gap between the rocks that looked just like a silhouetted horse head and neck.
So everyone let me know what you think, if there just rocks I'll keep on walking by, and if you think they might be something else I'll go back and take more pictures.
The first picture is the one I took that morning, the second one is one I took in the daytime, and the third one is of the whole rock structure,the turtle is on the top left hand corner. by the way this is in Colorado.

Thanks untitled-7435.jpg untitled-shoot-7575.jpg untitled-shoot-7543.jpg

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello confuse, this just my thoughts but it looks like you have found several trails leaving that point or the starting point, when you find a profile then the trail can be followed both directions, if its only a head it is one way in the direction it indicates, turtle may indicate slow / horse may indicate camp / elephant may indicates large load and or long distances, lizzard / go quickly look under a rock, snake = danger under a rock and soforth, its not hard. Safety first, enjoy your trips, keep us informed

OP
OP
C

confuzed

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
untitled-shoot-7575.jpg Thanks Dsty for your info on what to look for, I looked at another picture I had and I think I can see a profile Indian head and some other things. Good grief I think I'm falling in with the cloud gazers.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
too all true trackers,
my impression about turtles is that the attributes of the turtle is the correct avenue to take to understand this sign, however going slow is only one of it attributes..-going slow is not a necessary thing to convey..however what the turtle eats is...and he is very very fond of mushrooms...and you all know what a mushroom means..right, right!
oro for the informed
rangler

OP
OP
C

confuzed

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your response rangler, I respect your opinion very much. Not being a true tracker I have no idea what a mushroom means but I am here to learn so if you will enlighten me I will be forever in your debt.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Turtles also like cactus, bugs, grass, lay their eggs underground, the most important feature is to walk slow, I've never seen one fly, they can run fast but not very far. I do try to associate what I see with what their features are,

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

confuzed

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you dsty, I really appreciate any info I can get, I know so little that anything is a revelation. I don't know why rangler teased me about not knowing what a mushroom sign means, I thought I freely admitted I knew very little about Treasure signs and was here to learn, I guess he wasn't impressed with my little turtle even though I thought it was so clearly a turtle even I could see what it was. I hadn't thought about the "laying eggs underground" concept but that does make sense if the treasure is underground. I took some more pictures in the turtle area and found some interesting things, Ill post when I get a chance. Thanks again

billythekidder

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
confuzed what I would do is to go to basic signs and symbols by old dog and read it as you can. This will help you to understand more..mushrooms mean cache

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

confuzed

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you billythekidder, now I understand what a mushroom means. also a big thanks for the "basic signs and symbols by old dog" suggestion, I read on it for about an hour last night and got through ten pages, since the whole thing is almost 3000 pages long its going to take me awhile. so I hope you all will forgive me if I ask a question that's been covered already by old dog.

Thanks again

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
You can take anything that Thom tells you or that he has posted to the bank, I have never seen a mushroom or anything associated with them used as a cache site. As you go thru Thoms site take your time, make notes for reference such as post #, subject and other important info, I don't know how many times I had to go back and search for something may be a winter job, I feel that your turtle goes both ways much like a profile. Back to study hall

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

confuzed

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out to the little turtle area and looked around a little. Since I'm not burdened with any treasure sign knowledge I had to use common sense to try and figure out what to do. the turtle seemed simple, he pointed south so I would head south. how far to go was the problem, somewhere I read that bars carved on a rock gave distance and I believed I could see three bars on a rock behind the turtle. I have no idea what distance they represent but I assumed by there location that it wouldn't be to close or to far so I guessed each bar represented 100 steps, 300 steps total. there was a little hill just ahead of me so I couldn't see what was 300 steps ahead. I stepped off 300 paces and found myself in a small open field, there were no rocks around me or anything that looked like a sign, it looked like my common since had let me down. Seeing nothing ahead of me except open space I turned to head back and saw about a 100 feet off to my right, back in the trees a large rock that looked like it had something carved on it. I couldn't see the whole rock from where I was standing so I found a better location and snapped this picture. to give you an idea of the size of the rock, its about the size of a two story house. now I don't know what you all can see if anything, but I see what looks like a boot with a shadow pointer in front of the toe and at the other end of the rock I see a shadow 7 and a 3. so have a look and let me know if you see it to and what it all might mean. IMG_4235.jpg IMG_4235-2.jpg IMG_4235-3.jpg

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Most of the distances that I have seen between symbols are 69 paces /= cordell /= 189 feet. The spanish seemed to use Obsoulete portugal and spanish measurements ( I know its not spelled right but what can I say ).Follow the turtles head and the tail or reverse, looks like you have intersected the trail in the middle.

billythekidder

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my bad the mushroom/cache was from ranglers signs and symbols 101 post#20 not old dogs thread

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dsty's remarks about Thom (Old Dog) still hold true, billythekidder. He knows his stuff and doesn't "lord" it over you. :)

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello confused ( most of us are also especially me but I have fun ) when I find several ( more than one ) trails in an area I find that they all have different directions and different distances, theres also a very good chance theres drill holes in the top of the bluff and may be a possible cache site near-by just to really get you confused, lets just call the turtle a trail marker just for fun ( because it shows north and south ) so lets look at the faces, heart, bars and so forth as a object to confuse, to get you looking somewhere else, I would look on top because its easy walking, I would look for boulders that are the right distance / degrees and in a triangle, use the jesuit method, measure in cordells or portions and the proper compass degrees. Especially boulders that are slice of pie shape

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread