Sign or stone?

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
How can you tell? I didn't even think about this one until my 8 year old son said "Daddy look a 7". Then I got to looking around and noticed that a lot of the older trees have limbs growing funny and the tree right above this stone is growing crooked and the limbs are all twisted up. There is an old rock house foundation w a concrete floor still there and a stacked stone wall on the hill like maybe a garden wall or something I have found some names and initials carved in the limestone. Any advice on this stone will be greatly appreciated.

image-765851705.jpg

image-4044707135.jpg

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Which way do you follow a 7, is it like a little arrow pointing up to the right or do you follow the flag?

goldfinder2

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2005
Phil.
Detector(s) used
Whites GM, XLT, MXT Pro, Fisher GB, Minelab SD2100,, Excaliibur,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell? I didn't even think about this one until my 8 year old son said "Daddy look a 7". Then I got to looking around and noticed that a lot of the older trees have limbs growing funny and the tree right above this stone is growing crooked and the limbs are all twisted up. There is an old rock house foundation w a concrete floor still there and a stacked stone wall on the hill like maybe a garden wall or something I have found some names and initials carved in the limestone. Any advice on this stone will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 671593

Normally a 7 means stop U are at the treasure, BUT what signs lead U to the 7, and what does it appear on (ie: etched in stone or carved in tree)etc. ????

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Nothing led me there except a trail that we were walking on just looking at the woods and talking about stuff. I never noticed the rock kinda looks like a 7 until he said something. That rock is on top of a small cliff(10-15' tall) and at the bottom of the cliff is a small entrance that a little creek comes out of. It may not be a 7 at all that is why I thought that I would ask ppl that have been doing this for years. I am just now getting interested.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, RCarson:
That rock kinda looks more like a duck's profile and there are a BUNCH of numbers and letters marked on it. I tagged several, but there are many more. When you get the chance, take a soft bristle brush (a throw away paint brush will be fine) and gently brush the leaves and loose trash from the whole top of the rock. Take a lot of closeer photos so you can study them at home on your computer. There are a lot of things to study on that rock.....mostly in the "head' area, but check it out all over. DO NOT MOVE THE ROCK. This is very important so as to preserve it's orientation. You might want to see what the "beak" is pointing to and also in the OPPOSITE direction that it's pointing. I lightened up the photo a little bit to be able to see the surface detail and that's how these things came into view.

Attachments

• image-765851705 Merged.jpg
    image-765851705 Merged.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,040
OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I've found initials carved all over this place. One is an RC w a date but I don't remember the date. It's in a Civil war battle site.

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
image-3122566623.jpg

image-2586408971.jpg

image-685438243.jpg

image-936434917.jpg

The frame that goes around the name and date goes all the way around the rock to the ground. It goes off of the left side. The last picture is one that I'm not sure what it is right now bc I do not remember and all I have is my phone so I can't see it real well. These would be about 50-75yrds behind the 7 or duck. There are vines covering most of the rocks at this place. So I wonder what is not being seen.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That date's year looks like 1818 which is, of course, outside of the CW period. The way it all is framed out, I wonder if it is a tombstone, as such, for this person.

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
It would be hard to dig there. It is just big pieces of limestone and up on the little bluff but I have no idea so I'm not disagreeing at all. Under the frame is another ridge that is much deeper. That is how I found the name and date. I saw that big ridge and removed the vines to reveal the name. There are carvings everywhere here but a lot of it is graffiti.

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
It is hard to tell rather it is a 1 or a 7 even when looking at it in person

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Which means what? I really am just getting interested in this but I don't have enough time to do anything about it other than read here

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see #'s well at all, but the 8's, if that shape dose represent a #. I have seen them, and can see them well. and I belive if you find it, its a place of importance. got a photo of it?

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Only the one posted. Shortstack is saying that he sees 8's and 0's on it. I'm not saying that its not there bc I'm not even sure what to look for but I don't see them.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
V.C. COLLINS.
OCT. 18, 1878

Check your local history. Try the library, courthouse, local historical societies and Ancestry.com. See if you can find reference to this person.

Jeanne

Jun 15, 2013
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's a grave marker. Can you read exactly what it says? If you can read a name and dates you might try looking him up on Rootsweb Genealogy site. If it is a grave marker, his descendents (if any) would most likely be very grateful to you for finding him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions