Spanish Trail Sign.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a short hunt today, about 3 hours. Out of a half dozen Monuments, I picked one and took some video and pictures. I had found a spot I thought may have something. But always like to find the beginning and end of trail. I did find a empty hole. This is normal most days. But what a hunt.

Two weeks ago I was following a large cat sign on a mountain face. devil.JPG

The cat if you can see it has a small triangle on its head, this is important. Following the direction of the trail I found a Owl monument. View attachment 706909 This was a ways off so I saved the hunt for another day.

I pretty much guessed where this was and lucky enough to find it first try. The terrain is rough, and I was able to get real close with my vehicle.

The owl was part of a set on monuments. All in a triangle. I found this as I climbed a lil higher to get a good look at the rock outcropping. I wrongly identified it as a turtle rear end, it is a half moon shape outcropping. Unfortunately this site is not able to upload the photo. Ill try to at least show the dry hole at the end.

In a nutshell, I could see a handful of monuments that I look for. Hoyo, owls, crosses, hearts, and such. Now the trick is not to get tied up in a symbol, symbols just means someone was there, not always a set meaning. View attachment 706931 Anyway I found the start. There is lots of symbol circled in red here if you click on the photos. Some abstract, but none the less stuff I look for.

So how do I prove I found a empty hole? Where is the gold? Picture one, start point with Monument of the Owl, with a crescent moon as a hoyo. owl and cresnt moon.JPG So now I know Im looking for a crescent moon and a hoyo.

I found the hoyo. hoyo.JPG

I found the crescent turtletail.JPG moon.

I found the empty hole. emptyhole.JPG

There is more here to track and will post as I follow out the trails. You should see the videos.

Last edited:

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Casa that may well be a hoya or it could be a V with the plug still has not been removed, kinda interesting, you may be on the trail of a mine thats been concealed, my limited experience is you put a stright edge or just get in front of the turtle head and follow the direction it indicates.

harryort

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2012
New Bern
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah. This is new to me. A cat? I see the owl. The rest?????? More guidance please. I find this very interesting. Where do I start to learn about this type of thing?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
casa next time you get back to site,could you get img of the otherside of hoyo
and check and see if these crosses are really there,if they are might give you a
new clue to your site

i highlited it a little to see

Capture cross.JPG

from this img far left
OwlNorth.JPG

can i use your owl in my post of the owl vid
owl 1.JPG

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys and gals. I will do the best I can to answer, and yes a return trip is scheduled.

DSTY, this is the first time I have seen both v and hoyo exist at the same time. I dont understand it, but it is there. I did not show what the hoyo was looking at at on purpose. I will update this post soon and post it. The mine could be up top behind owl but I suspect elsewhere.

Harryort, this hobby originally started as meteorite hunting. Then detecting, prospecting, and Spanish trail hunting. The cat is a large sign seen from far off. As I was traveling there I saw the owl. I suspected I would find more at the owl and wasn't disappointed. While there is several books on the subject of treasure hunting. The real truth is most holes are empty. I only recommend one set of books for the beginner and advanced person alike. My friend Bart Jepperson has a lot of info out there, free and for a small fee. Look him up if you want to try your hand at this. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can and acclimate yourself to the outdoors.

cw0909, the crosses are really there. I have not worked that area up close yet. This is what I consider a monument. I have never found anything around a monument. It just tells me what to look for on the trail. There is also a tomb, and a mine close by somewhere. Let me see if I can find post of behind the main Owl monument.

austin, yes that is the trail. Burro's would be the only way to haul through that terrain. A borro can carry roughly 200 pounds of goods.

Let me post whats behind the owl, and why it is important to have a start point, i.e. the Owl Monument. Mdog you will like this.

Attachments

• lizard and bear.JPG
    lizard and bear.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 352
OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a better picture of one small piece of the clues left. The turtle on the bottom and bear is looking two different directions.

Attachments

• turtle and bear.JPG
    turtle and bear.JPG
    905 KB · Views: 410

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a better picture of one small piece of the clues left. The turtle on the bottom and bear is looking two different directions.

Casca, I wonder why "they" would fill in the space between that statue and the boulder. If they did not "fill in" that area, why would they shave down that section? Seems a little unnecessary work to me. The detail work is on the OTHER side of the statue and up at the top.
Outside of the box??? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not shown the Left side mural on purpose as I want to re work the area first. Having a very busy weekend I just got to my pictures and realized how much my eyes missed when I was up there. This was mid day sun, and I loose about 2/3 rds of the sign that time of day. The ground was red/black, you could see the iron. I had toted up my metal detector for nothing. I still have 2 more peaks that have owls on top. It took me 3 hours of climbing for 1/2 hour of pictures. This about normal. Im planning a whole day next time up. Taking a tripod and will get some great shots. If possible will get on top of rock. Short Stack I was over whelmed with the sign here, you better by some more marking fluid lol. Right now Im just getting a feel for the sight. I took over 270 photos that day.

Im not so sure they filled in the space between the boulder. I have found that nite moisture and sand fill in holes to paper thin coverings to several inches thick. But I was looking at that too. The real puzzle is a turtle looking one way, and a bear looking the other. There is also a face with the turtle and they are looking a small bunch of rocks.

The Right side of this monument appears to have the long faced men looking east. I found the same long faces about 10 Miles away on the southern tip of the next range hills. So I have a common pointer here and can follow this for several miles. The three men have a heart and leads me to think they want me on top of them. This may be above my conditioning and ability. But there is several mesa type spots that will need to be climbed and looked at here.

One particular spot has a sillouette laying down, and again one standing up a lil farther down. I have never seen silohettes like this except as starved stone. Enough ramblong, I cant wait to get back out there.

Last edited:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since, "turtles lead to treasure", could that bear be leading to a nearby sheltering cave or overhang??

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short Stack it is like a small city up there. Wont take much to check out a treasure hole. Im going to look for anything that dont fit for sure up there. I dont know what o look at first. For some reason that many sign was needed. Give me two days, and Ill be ready to go up again.

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since, "turtles lead to treasure", could that bear be leading to a nearby sheltering cave or overhang??

Absolutely, and it comes from Matthew 8:20

"Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

These are the "secrets" so called experts do not share.
8-)

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short Stack it is like a small city up there. Wont take much to check out a treasure hole. Im going to look for anything that dont fit for sure up there. I dont know what o look at first. For some reason that many sign was needed. Give me two days, and Ill be ready to go up again.

It's been more than two days...

waiting on pictures.:hello:

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pictures. I threw a extra one in since I was late.

well pictures i have, havent been back up to owls, but have a good pick for you. It should be self explanatory. You should see a horse looking at a pyramid stone. horse.JPG I dont find as much as some of the more experienced on here. But there is now two areas beside the Owls that have need of more exploring. On a good day Im good for 3 hours. This last few days have been filled with real life stuff. I also get tired of reducing my images size so they fit here. You loose picture quality and I am already pushing my lil pocket camera to the max. I have three trails now, and one real good looking bunch of rocks up top. druid.jpg This one matches what I thought was a bear. Somewhere in between will be something. Im gonna have to buy me one of them treasure books someday.

hoyo.jpg This hoyo is a good study.

horse2.jpg Another picture of the horse in case your eyes was fooling you.

The more sites I find like this, the more they have in common. This was all done with a walking stick and camera. Your gonna love the next site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I posted. No comments? He he he, I was just taking a stab at DSTY anyway. The trail from Sante Fe to Mexico City is a long one. There is other trail beyond Sante Fe, but I may never see them. I have a very good friend up near the Colorado border who I may go rock hunting with this year. Got new tires on the pick up and getting outfitted to go. I have had the opportunity to meet some very successful and knowledgeable hunters. I was hoping to get to the LDM gathering as I think this pertains to their hunt also. I am forbidden by my wife to hunt the Lost Dutchman. She doesnt know about the Peraltas mines lol. While technology has made many advances in treasure hunting, you need only your eyes and water for what I am finding. There is some tricks to the trail, and if you stop and study them. You will find stuff like I posted all day long. I dont get hung up in area. I really dont care if there is gold there or not. I think Silver was probably more abundant anyway. Im not trying to read code or explain a point and I do like help(even if i think it is bs info). I enjoy walking the trails as was done many hundreds years ago. This part of the trail has been promised to a friend in Utah. Im off to see what the next part holds. DSTY your about 1/3 right on that pointer........Im not telling.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi Casca,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've read about a north-south trail that went from Santa Fe and down to El Paso, is that trail the one you're following?

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Casca,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've read about a north-south trail that went from Santa Fe and down to El Paso, is that trail the one you're following?

It does not stop at the border, it continues south. Plenty of trails, but mexico is dangerous right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread